Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: instalation Jcat usb card XE
I have a problem with running Jcat usb card XE on moodeaudio. I am using a Raspberry CM4 board with a PCIExpres connector. A colleague fired the lower model of the Jcat usb Femto card on this connector, and the XE version does not work for me. What do I have to do for this card to work and for me to be able to use it via my Dac USB. On the usb port with the cm4 board dac it works without any problems
Thats going to be a challenge to troubleshoot unless someone has the exact hardware and can repro the issue.

As a start though, what are you seeing that tells you "the XE version does not work for me"?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
This really isn't a question about moOde, it's a question about the compatibility of the Jcat XE card with the CM4, starting with power consumption. I note on the jcat.eu site that the XE uses linear regulators which are notoriously power hungry. I couldn't find a statement of voltage/current requirement via the PCIe connector but there is a statement that an optional external power supply must be 5v/1a minimum.

Jeff Geerling has made quite a project out of testing compatibility of PCIe cards with the CM4. I can't find the JCat card in his database (https://pipci.jeffgeerling.com) but he's the guy to ask about its suitability.

Regards,
Kent
Who knows. The OP just states that it doesn't work and thats not going to go anywhere without more info.
Enjoy the Music!
(10-25-2022, 11:23 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: This really isn't a question about moOde, it's a question about the compatibility of the Jcat XE card with the CM4, starting with power consumption. I note on the jcat.eu site that the XE uses linear regulators which are notoriously power hungry. I couldn't find a statement of voltage/current requirement via the PCIe connector but there is a statement that an optional external power supply must be 5v/1a minimum.

Jeff Geerling has made quite a project out of testing compatibility of PCIe cards with the CM4. I can't find the JCat card in his database (https://pipci.jeffgeerling.com) but he's the guy to ask about its suitability.

Regards,
Kent

I'm sure you are on to something there and the description of CM4 is also inadequate, likely he is using an IO4 board which has both 5 and 12 volt powering options.
The jcat card works with an additional linear power supply. My colleague, the Jcat USB Femto model on moode starts without a problem, I wanted to check if the higher version will also run, but unfortunately in moode I do not see the USB DAC connected to it. When I connect the DAC to the USB connector on the CM4 board, of course, the tray is detected in moode without any problems.
I supply the CM4 board with a 12V linear power supply.
The Linux kernel is responsible for configuring and loading whatever modules are needed for the PCIe device. moOde software is not involved in that process.

I would suggest posting the issue to the Raspberry Pi Linux repo and mention that the kernel version is 5.15.61 running on RaspiOS 11.5 with apt upgrades current as of 2022-10-23. You will also need to mention the brand/model of the PCIe device and the brand/model of CM4 I-O board you are using. https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues

ETA: Thread moved from FAQ/Guides to Support
Enjoy the Music!
Beyond those basics you should also look for and include relevant messages in /var/log/syslog or the output of dmesg.

For a properly behaving USB interface you'll have the usual commands available such as lsusb and (IMO, better) usb-devices.

Here's the output from the usb-devices command on my CM4 mounted on an official Raspberry Pi CM4 IO board with no USB devices plugged in

Code:
pi@CM4:~ $ usb-devices

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480 MxCh= 1
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev=05.04
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 5.4.77-v7l+ xhci-hcd
S:  Product=xHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=fe9c0000.xhci
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=480 MxCh= 4
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=02 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0424 ProdID=2514 Rev=0b.b3
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=2mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 1 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=02 Driver=hub

T:  Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=5000 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 3.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=03 MxPS= 9 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0003 Rev=05.04
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 5.4.77-v7l+ xhci-hcd
S:  Product=xHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=fe9c0000.xhci
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)

If your Jcat board were detected properly by Raspberry Pi OS then there would be additional stanzas for it.

In my case, plugging in a USB DAC (Khadas Tone 1 board) results in an additional stanza showing up

Code:
T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=ef(misc ) Sub=02 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  2
P:  Vendor=3353 ProdID=a001 Rev=02.00
S:  Manufacturer=Khadas
S:  Product=Tone1
C:  #Ifs= 3 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=0mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=01(audio) Sub=01 Prot=20 Driver=snd-usb-audio
I:  If#=0x1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=01(audio) Sub=02 Prot=20 Driver=snd-usb-audio
I:  If#=0x2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=fe(app. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)

You should see something like that for your USB DAC, of course with differing bus/level/prnt/port numbers depending on whether it's connected directly or through the Jcat board.

Note the OS has invoked the snd-usb-audio driver for this Khadas board. (In lsusb -v output you'd see the board has audio interfaces.) If it hadn't, then moOde wouldn't pick it up as an eligible audio output device.

I have no knowledge or experience with the PCIe interface on my CM4 IO board.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks for the hints. Now I'm trying to install ubuntu, which theoretically should support this jcat card.
Regards,
Robert