Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

10" UPi06 Touchscreen display
Hello everyone,
I would like to buy this LCD touchscreen display:

https://www.uperfectmonitor.com/collecti...7596252232

It use USB Type-C for Audio&Video Input/Output & Touchcsreen and it seems to be "driver free"...

Can you tell me if, in your opinion, it can work with Moode ?

Thank you.

Alberto
moOde just uses standard Raspberry Pi OS and components like chromium-browser and X11 to support locally attached displays. This means that most displays will probably work.

There is a section in System Config for setting up a local display but some of the settings for example brightness (backlight), pixel aspect ratio and screen rotation are specific to the Pi 7" Touch Screen and may not work on other displays.

Your best bet is to get the display from Amazon, work with manufacture support if there are issues, post here in this Forum in case someone has some insights on what to do and if in the end it can't be made to work then take advantage of Amazon's easy return process.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-29-2022, 09:48 AM)d888sp4 Wrote: Hello everyone,

It use USB Type-C for Audio&Video Input/Output & Touchcsreen and it seems to be "driver free"...

Thank you.

Alberto

If it works OOTB within the OS, it should be OK with moOde. MoOde is nothing less, nothing more, than an application that uses OS resources.
(11-29-2022, 09:48 AM)d888sp4 Wrote: Hello everyone,

Thank you.

Alberto

I agree that this device should work with moOde. 

I urge you, though, to download and read carefully the brief manual for it. I also suggest you read all the comments posted to the Amazon listing for the same device.

This is essentially an free-standing HDMI monitor which can optionally house and be the local display for an RPi. Some of those "specifications" in the web listing apply only to the device. For example, the interface description

Quote:1 × USB Type-C (for Audio&Video Input & Output & Touchcsreen) / 

1 × HDMI for Audio & Video Input / 

refers to the device as stand-alone monitor only. There's no HDMI nor USB Type-C audio/video input to the RPi.

Some things to think about:
  • those built-in speakers are likely to sound awful (despite the advertising copy describing "good sound").
  • the RPi's 3.5mm audio out jack is available but there's no HDMI audio-out capability
  • there is no room for an I2S DAC board in the case so USB DACs only.
  • the device is powered from the 12vdc wall wart provided. This may or may not be adequate for powering RPi, display, and external USB DAC. The DAC may already have it's own power source, but if not, this is a consideration.
  • the advertising copy mentions 2 fans although I see only one. Among comments to the Amazon listing of this device, I see one which said the fan noise, although not loud, is noticeable and another which said the poster had removed the fan and used passive heatsinks instead (resulting CPU Temp ~ 50C).
  • when the RPi is assembled into this device, the uSD slot can't be accessed without removing at least the back panel and possibly even extracting the RPi. This is true for my official 7" display/case as well. My solution is to flash moOde to a low-profile thumbdrive and boot from it instead.
These are not necessarily showstopper issues but you should be aware. On the whole, had I not purchased an Official RPi 7" display and a nice casement for it some years ago, I'd be tempted to try the UPerfect Monitor now.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks to Kent for his considerations, however I had already planned not to use the built-in speakers and the fan (already uninstalled!).
Also I'm already building a special audio grade ultra low-noise 12Vdc external power supply (AMB Sigma11).
My idea is to start using the USB audio out and in the future extend the rear case in order to install IAN Canada cards to drive my external DAC (Gustard X16) via I2S.
Well, I just got this Uperfect 10" monitor, I then installed RPi4 with Moode.
Works well, video quality is superb !
The only issue I have with the Moode is the imprecision of the touchscreen in the sense that it feels extremely sensitive. For example, just touching the volume wheel or the music list inaccurately causes the screen to zoom instead.
In this situation the use of a pen or mouse would be a must...
However, I have verified that this problem does not occur with VolumeIO.
Could there be a solution in your opinion? Unfortunately I'm not a Linux expert.
Thank you all for your suggestions.
Albert.