Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Query re: kernel updates
Hi

I wanted to find out why kernels are updated for new images only? I do the software updates through the Moode GUI but noticed that I wouldn't get kernel updates through that route. I am sure there's a good reason for it, but would love to know why. 

I'd like to keep the kernel updated in line with Moode software updates, but obviously if that's likely to break something I will leave it alone. 

I'm aware that 6.1 kernel is being tested now and I have seen some reports of it working more efficiently with memory and such like and I don't mind waiting as long as it takes for it to be ready to be part of the distribution for Moode. 

Anyway, all thoughts and comments are welcome!
There is code in the In-place Updater to bump the Linux kernel but there were issues in testing when it came to updating the four custom kernel drivers we ship with moOde including Alsaloop 384K, Allo SIG USB, PCM1794a 384K and CF912AC WiFi.

Eventually we will debug the issue, maybe in the Q1 2023 timeframe or at any time if another dev takes interest.

For new images we like to go with whatever kernel version is currently being shipped in RaspiOS, and you can always start with a fresh image and then use Restore to get settings re-applied from a previously saved Backup.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@Tim Curtis the kernel update part in the current in-place-update script has some issues:
  • It is still using rpi-update instead of apt.
  • The way modules are detected to uninstall is sensitive to errors.
  • The way modules are detected to install is sensitive to errors.
  • The pi upstream repo removes kernel packages when a successor is introduced. Requires caching the kernel also in our own repo.
When I have some time, I will make a PR for it.

Down side of updating the kernel+modules will take a far more amount of time that the current in-place-update takes.
Ok, sounds good.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I've just updated to 8.2.5 and wow - I see you've implemented the in-place update of the kernel. Fast work there @bitlab - great job!

The update took five minutes to complete earlier and it's working great as ever!

Well done team!