Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Booting from NVMe drive (In Argon40 case)
Not finding much info. on this....hoped someone might help!? Smile

I've just acquired both an MVMe expansion board....and a NVME M.2 SSD....
I'm hoping to boot from the M.2 drive....and looking for the right tutorial....perhaps something already 'out there'
Not confident with this....but hoping that this can be done from inside an SSH shell....?

I've been using an external SSD....and using MoOde successfully
When all the dust settles, I'm hoping to access both the M.2....and the SSD as part of the same system.
I understand that POWER may be an issue here.....I'm using the Argon40 PSU currently.

Any thoughts please??
(02-17-2023, 02:02 PM)Tonewheelkev Wrote: Not finding much info. on this....hoped someone might help!? Smile

I've just acquired both an MVMe expansion board....and a NVME M.2 SSD....
I'm hoping to boot from the M.2 drive....and looking for the right tutorial....perhaps something already 'out there'
Not confident with this....but hoping that this can be done from inside an SSH shell....?

I've been using an external SSD....and using MoOde successfully
When all the dust settles, I'm hoping to access both the M.2....and the SSD as part of the same system.
I understand that POWER may be an issue here.....I'm using the Argon40 PSU currently.

Any thoughts please??

Which Pi do you have in the case Pi 4 I think the argon case is for right? Have you used that pi with a recent raspi os? The Pi firmware needs to be recent for a pi 4 to be able to boot via usb.

I have the same case but the m.2 data variant. This boots fine. Stupid question from my side, but you did place the u shaped connector right? Argon case is basically an external usb drive but all in the same housing, it needs to be connected via usb though
[quote pid='45270' dateline='1676647221']
Which Pi do you have in the case Pi 4 I think the argon case is for right? Have you used that pi with a recent raspi os? The Pi firmware needs to be recent for a pi 4 to be able to boot via usb.

I have the same case but the m.2 data variant. This boots fine. Stupid question from my side, but you did place the u shaped connector right? Argon case is basically an external usb drive but all in the same housing, it needs to be connected via usb though
[/quote]

It's the Pi4.

I'm using Moode distro (is that the name?)....so not sure which raspi os. I'm using.

Hmmm....confused here...there's no doubt!

The U connector can only go in one way.....?

PS....do you mean SATA variant???
I do indeed have the Argon sata variant. Currently running raspi os with Openmediavault and docker

But the U connector has a kind of little man on it. That needs to be upright, apparently the connector only works one way.

To get things clear. Have you been booting from the external SSD on the same Pi?
Furthermore, what I noticed with the Argon case. I could not easily install the OS on the SSD, I needed to connect it to a computer via powered usb hub. Only then I could use Raspberry Pi imager to install a new OS.
(02-17-2023, 03:39 PM)Falco Wrote: I do indeed have the Argon sata variant. Currently running raspi os with Openmediavault and docker

But the U connector has a kind of little man on it. That needs to be upright, apparently the connector only works one way.

To get things clear. Have you been booting from the external SSD on the same Pi?

The connector can't be put in the wrong way....because of the orientation of the USB socksets
.....Yes....the little man is the right way

I've been booting from Micro SD.....using 1TB SSD as data drive in Moode.
The new NVMe....is also 1TB.....will be a boot drive....and storage.
And maybe it's good to get a spare microsd card with the most recent raspberry pi 64-bit os. Install and boot on the pi as the eeprom will be updated with latest firmware that allows booting from usb. And then make sure you run raspi-config to update the tool and also firmware.
(02-17-2023, 03:48 PM)Falco Wrote: And maybe it's good to get a spare microsd card with the most recent raspberry pi 64-bit os. Install and boot on the pi as the eeprom will be updated with latest firmware that allows booting from usb. And then make sure you run raspi-config to update the tool and also firmware.

Plenty of spare cards!! Smile
Struggling here.
The SSD card in the Pi.....that's the MoOde distro....right?
If that's correct....where is the Pi OS....??
Haha, once you go raspberry, there's never a shortage of cards!

But this is what i meant, the original OS for the raspberry (MoOde is based on this, but not sure which version).
https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/

You can choose with our without desktop. If you use the raspberry pi imager tool you can activate SSH access in the tool.

Just take one of the spare sd cards, install raspberry pi os on it with the raspberry pi imager and boot on the Pi. That should update the eeprom to the latest version.

Then take the latest MoOde and install it on the new SSD (I connected the SSD in the Argon expansion via powered usb hub to the host/install computer). Then prepare your Argon again with the expansion drive and the U connector. It should then boot (don't forget to remove SDcard as otherwise it will boot from that)
(02-17-2023, 04:07 PM)Falco Wrote: Haha, once you go raspberry, there's never a shortage of cards!

But this is what i meant, the original OS for the raspberry (MoOde is based on this, but not sure which version).
https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/

You can choose with our without desktop. If you use the raspberry pi imager tool you can activate SSH access in the tool.

Hehe....I've got SSH access right now....logged in Smile
Can I get the SSH to tell me what I've got?
I know it's the 64 bit version FW That's W