Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Moode on a virtual machine?
I’ve done searching but no luck, any information about running moode in a virtual machine?
(04-16-2023, 08:11 PM)Indigent Audio Wrote: I’ve done searching but no luck, any information about running moode in a virtual machine?

as far as the VM virtualises a Raspberry Pi, you're ready to go... otherwise, it takes the same effort of porting it to an ordinary x64 PC.
(04-16-2023, 08:11 PM)Indigent Audio Wrote: I’ve done searching but no luck, any information about running moode in a virtual machine?

You're reading my mind, just started yesterday to try and get moode running in VirtualBox. No luck so far.
A while back I used QEMU to set up a virtual machine running Rapbian (I imagine), to make it easier to develop for the Raspberry Pi on a PC. It was unusably slow for this (made the Pi Zero look zippy!) , although I think that at that time it could only provide a machine with a small amount of memory. I notice that QEMU currently supports models up to the Pi3b, with up to 1GB, so maybe it could be an option for you

https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system/arm/raspi.html

However, I wonder if the missing ADC and PWM hardware controllers could be an issue for Moode.

Adrian.

What's your use case for running RaspiOS in a VM?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-18-2023, 09:41 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

For me, I just want to be able to mess around with the software/programing while I have some time at work. Maybe learn a thing or 2.
[This is just my usual pigeon droppings---Tim has asked the right question.]

Like @adrii , I explored Raspbian over QEMU several years ago and like him I concluded it was too slow and too restricted in various ways to be much use except to show off. (I did it with a high school robotics team I was mentoring at the time so wrote it off as a learning experience.) Cross-compiling is your friend if you want to do some heavy lifting like create a custom Linux kernel for ARM devices such as the RPi.

Note that the RPi3B machine type is defined only in recent releases of QEMU. On my latest-version Linux Mint 21.1, the (Debian-based) v6.2 QEMU package supports only earlier models so separate installation of the current release is needed.

As always, Google is your friend. I see that last fall, a fellow named Radu Zaharia wrote a short series of articles for medium.com which included emulation of a RPi4-like machine using QEMU's generic "virt" ARM virtual machine. Looks quite doable but it seems to me that if you're not a dilettante (aka tinkerer) like me, there's no point in going down this path if you want to end up with a working appliance rather than an experimental coding environment.

AFAIK, Oracle VirtualBox only virtualizes the host's x86/x64 architecture for guest x86/x64 O/Ss. It can not also emulate ARM and other architectures. Of course, you could run QEMU within a guest x86/x64 O/S---definitely a baroque solution.

Regards,
Kent
(04-18-2023, 09:41 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, it's very timely! My use case is to run the "Sender" of the Multiroom Audio in a VM, freeing up a RPi ($$$$) for "Receiver" use.

Perhaps rather than running on virtual-metal, it would be easier to containerize it?