Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: moOde 8.3.3 always shows file covers instead of embedded in album view
Hi,

After an in-place update from 8.3.2, the album view in my setup has changed.

With the embedded cover preference set as before, and even with the new thumbnail scan set to all, the album view always shows a file cover, more specifically the last JPG found in the album folder. If there is only one file, usually "folder.jpg", you won't notice any difference, but if there are back, inlay or booklet files, the last one will be shown.
Regenerating the thumbnail and clearing the browser's cache didn't fix this behaviour.

I've checked that all files have embedded covers. Indeed, 8.3.2 worked as expected.

I have attached an example of the album view and some folder lists.

Best regards.
--
Joaquín.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-13-2023, 08:13 AM)cirrower Wrote: Hi,

After an in-place update from 8.3.2, the album view in my setup has changed.

With the embedded cover preference set as before, and even with the new thumbnail scan set to all, the album view always shows a file cover, more specifically the last JPG found in the album folder. If there is only one file, usually "folder.jpg", you won't notice any difference, but if there are back, inlay or booklet files, the last one will be shown.
Regenerating the thumbnail and clearing the browser's cache didn't fix this behaviour.

I've checked that all files have embedded covers. Indeed, 8.3.2 worked as expected.

I have attached an example of the album view and some folder lists.

Best regards.
--
Joaquín.

This is weird... but it could be related to an improvement made to display covers in folder view... @Tim Curtis...?
Yes, it appears the issue is a side effect of the Folder view enhancement. This enhancement allows the thumbnail generator to create cover thumbs for images in the parent folders of the Album folder, but it has no way of excluding the Album folder itself which is what is causing @cirrower's issue.

The enhancement is very nice since it enables things like Artist covers, CD Box set covers, etc but assumes that if covers are embedded there would be no image files in the Album dir but of course this is not a reasonable assumption.

The code in question is in file /var/www/util/list-songfiles.sh and it looks like a patch that removes the enhancement is needed ASAP. I'll post one later today or tomorrow.

A permanent fix will take some investigation.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Run this command then regenerate the thumbnails.

Code:
sudo sed -i s"/|jpg\\\|jpeg\\\|png\\\|tif\\\|tiff\\\//" /var/www/util/list-songfiles.sh
Enjoy the Music!
(06-13-2023, 01:07 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Run this command then regenerate the thumbnails.

Code:
sudo sed -i s"/|jpg\\\|jpeg\\\|png\\\|tif\\\|tiff\\\//" /var/www/util/list-songfiles.sh

Done! Problem solved!

Best.
--
Joaquín
(06-13-2023, 11:41 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Yes, it appears the issue is a side effect of the Folder view enhancement. This enhancement allows the thumbnail generator to create cover thumbs for images in the parent folders of the Album folder, but it has no way of excluding the Album folder itself which is what is causing @cirrower's issue.

The enhancement is very nice since it enables things like Artist covers, CD Box set covers, etc but assumes that if covers are embedded there would be no image files in the Album dir but of course this is not a reasonable assumption.

The code in question is in file /var/www/util/list-songfiles.sh and it looks like a patch that removes the enhancement is needed ASAP. I'll post one later today or tomorrow.

A permanent fix will take some investigation.

Hmm, looks like this one can render "The Slip" with the album cover in the tag view, and the single embedded art of the songs straight away, uh? :-D

I have a better fix for this, though... works more or less on the same principle: Acts like "embedded" is chosen as priority, but if an image is found in the folder, it will be used as album-art. Current track art is the embedded one, if present, otherwise the image in the folder. I named it "Hybrid" in the prefs.
Right. it would work for albums like The Slip but it also causes breakage as reported by the OP where there are image files in the Album folder but the embedded image is what is desired in all cases.
Enjoy the Music!