Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

RPi 4 8GB misfunctions with 8.3.6
I have an 8GB Raspberry Pi 4 with a HiFiBerry Digi+ Standard HAT. The setup runs fine with 8.3.0.

I upgraded to 8.3.6 and problems have arisen.

It's in a dysfunctional state, where it will boot and present a UI, but not much else.

The main screen does not display any playlist. I can head to the Configuration Settings screen, but pressing on System, Network and Audio fail to bring up their respective screens. The set up will not play any sound. 

I also tried loading 8.3.6 directly. I downloaded from both the moodeaudio.org Website and from github directly. In both cases, the checksums did not match what was posted. Burning an SD card from those distros likewise exhibited the same problems as I'm experiencing through the 8.3.0 to 8.3.6 upgrade route.

Any advice? Thank you.
(09-22-2023, 09:32 PM)yellowruby Wrote: I also tried loading 8.3.6 directly. I downloaded from both the moodeaudio.org Website and from github directly. In both cases, the checksums did not match what was posted. Burning an SD card from those distros likewise exhibited the same problems as I'm experiencing through the 8.3.0 to 8.3.6 upgrade route.

You DID use the image writer AND created a user + password BEFORE flashing it to the SD card, right?
(09-22-2023, 10:51 PM)Nutul Wrote:
(09-22-2023, 09:32 PM)yellowruby Wrote: I also tried loading 8.3.6 directly. I downloaded from both the moodeaudio.org Website and from github directly. In both cases, the checksums did not match what was posted. Burning an SD card from those distros likewise exhibited the same problems as I'm experiencing through the 8.3.0 to 8.3.6 upgrade route.

You DID use the image writer AND created a user + password BEFORE flashing it to the SD card, right?

I used Balena Etcher to create the SD card. I don't recall seeing any user or password options. I've used Balena Etcher in this same way before without issue. Sounds like I may be skipping a step? I'm wondering if the bad checksum is more the underlying problem. Thank you for the reply!
(09-22-2023, 11:03 PM)yellowruby Wrote:

I used Balena Etcher to create the SD card. I don't recall seeing any user or password options. I've used Balena Etcher in this same way before without issue. Sounds like I may be skipping a step? I'm wondering if the bad checksum is more the underlying problem. Thank you for the reply!

I don't know if Balena Etcher works the same, but you indeed need to specify a username and a password before flashing the SDcard.
Actually, username and password can be the old "pi" + "moodeaudio", but you can chose whatever suits your imagination.
I'd suggest you use the raspberry pi imager, though, as you can chose the image directly in it, without downloading first.
We're starting to sound like broken records. Read the Download moOde section of the website...read the setup guide (linked to from the website page)...read.

ETA: I like Balena Etcher too, and used it for many years, but now that the Raspberry Pi Foundation has changed the default user/password policy on Raspberry Pi OS images, the official Raspberry Pi Imager tool is more useful. If one insists on using Balena Etcher regardless, then have a look at my forum post of some months ago.

Regards,
Kent
(09-22-2023, 11:34 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: We're starting to sound like broken records. Read the Download moOde section of the website...read the setup guide (linked to from the website page)...read.

ETA: I like Balena Etcher too, and used it for many years, but now that the Raspberry Pi Foundation has changed the default user/password policy on Raspberry Pi OS images, the official Raspberry Pi Imager tool is more useful. If one insists on using Balena Etcher regardless, then have a look at my forum post of some months ago.

Regards,
Kent

You're absolutely right, Kent, but the main issue here is not being stuck on Balena Etcher or whatnot; things are as simple as this:
people do not care about the installation instructions, and unfortunately, only the newcomers will eventually read them; people coming over already having moode installed in a way or another in the past WILL come here because things do not work...

Sad but true (cit.)
(09-22-2023, 11:03 PM)yellowruby Wrote:

A quick test on my Mac and no issues with the checksums.

Code:
lt5user@LT5 Downloads % shasum -a 256 ./2023-09-05-moode-r836-arm64-lite.img
3084bd9d7a63ba81b3e4f81b965983327efb7a1cefe6f62895ac55282179c46e  ./2023-09-05-moode-r836-arm64-lite.img

lt5user@LT5 Downloads % shasum -a 256 ./2023-09-05-moode-r836-lite.img  
76ffc9658efaf2eba59abd0e38ab43745e8ae64faa4710f0ef88e25941f0ac6d  ./2023-09-05-moode-r836-lite.img

The enhanced security starting with the 8.3.0 images is for your benefit. 
Use the Raspberry Pi Imager and you should be all set. You can even pick the moOde images right from the Media Player OS section.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks, Tim! I'll give it a shot.