Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: MPD Error failed to decode flac ._ file
Hi guys,
if I try to play a .flac I received the message error: "MPD Error Failed to decode USB/HDB song.flac", but i have no issue with mp3.
I use a china clone of the Audiophonics ES9028 with these charatteristics:
Chip decoder DAC: ES9028Q2M
PCW 44.1KHz- -384KHz/32Bit
DSD DSD64/ 128/256
I read on internet that it, also if a clone, was a very good DAC and it could read flac.
I think it is not the fault of MPD because the mpd - versions says that it can read flac also I can listen the flac with other windows player.
With dmesg I found this message error:
i-sabre-codec-i2c 1-0048: ASoC  error at soc_component_read_no_lock on-i-sabre-i2c.10048 for register.
Someone can help me to fix it?
Thanks and best regards,

Maurizio
(10-13-2023, 08:11 PM)ziofaggio Wrote: Hi guys,
if I try to play a .flac I received the message error: "MPD Error Failed to decode USB/HDB song.flac", but i have no issue with mp3.
DSD DSD64/ 128/256
I read on internet that it, also if a clone, was a very good DAC and it could read flac.
I think it is not the fault of MPD because the mpd - versions says that it can read flac also I can listen the flac with other windows player.
i-sabre-codec-i2c 1-0048: ASoC  error at soc_component_read_no_lock on-i-sabre-i2c.10048 for register.
Thanks and best regards,

Maurizio

The message is from MPD, and most probably denotes a malformed FLAC file.
Upload the flac file somewhere, then send a private message with a link to it to @Tim Curtis, @TheOldPresbyope and myself.

One of us will take a look at it and see what's wrong.
(10-13-2023, 08:52 PM)Nutul Wrote:
(10-13-2023, 08:11 PM)ziofaggio Wrote: Hi guys,
DSD DSD64/ 128/256
Thanks and best regards,

Maurizio

The message is from MPD, and most probably denotes a malformed FLAC file.
Upload the flac file somewhere, then send a private message with a link to it to @Tim Curtis, @TheOldPresbyope and myself.

One of us will take a look at it and see what's wrong.

Thank you very much Nutul. I sent you a mp.
I update this message for everybody.
I looked better and I found that Moode Audio show me 2 flac files also if i have only one.
The first can be played, but the second (i called it ghost flac Smile) have the same name with an _. before and give me the decode error.
So this is not a true decode error and only some flacs have this anomaly with the second ._ file.
I'd like to know why and how I can fix the flacs to do not show the ._ entrie (which, I repeat, is not physically present on the usb key, or at least from the windows or macos file manager I do not see it).
Bye.
ZF
It sounds like you have hidden files created by MacOS.

The solution is to delete all the hidden files.
----------------
Robert
@ziofaggio 

I have downloaded and tested the two files you PM'ed to Tim, Al, and me. I find nothing wrong with them either in their music encoding or the metadata.

I copied the mp3 and flac files to a new directory on my moOde player, updated the library, and now see in the Library folder view a single album with just two tracks, as expected. There's no ghost file present.

Hence I have to agree with Robert. The evidence suggests you have some of those pesky macOS-generated hidden files on your system.

Regards,
Kent
(10-23-2023, 05:11 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @ziofaggio 

I have downloaded and tested the two files you PM'ed to Tim, Al, and me. I find nothing wrong with them either in their music encoding or the metadata.

I copied the mp3 and flac files to a new directory on my moOde player, updated the library, and now see in the Library folder view a single album with just two tracks, as expected. There's no ghost file present.

Hence I have to agree with Robert. The evidence suggests you have some of those pesky macOS-generated hidden files on your system.

Regards,
Kent

I copied both files in one folder, updated the library, and only the mp3 file showed up in the album.
Then fixed the album name in the flac file (was "Nell/'assenzio", while on the mp3 it was "Nell'assenzio", without the slash...), updated the library, and was able to see both tracks.
NOTE:
1. the flac file is missing the track number
2. the flac file has an invalid Vorbis date tag - both as tag field name (YEAR) and contents (yyyy-mm-dd rather than only YYYY)

I would also suggest to not use apostrophes (or the like) in file names (in the tags it's fine, of course), as some OSs use them to enclose filenames with spaces, and can get messed up... not mandatory, just my suggestion.

As per your filename with an underscore in its name, most probably is an artifact of MacOS, and probably it is the reason of the error message you got (the file has .flac as extension, the library attempts to decode it as FLAC, but probably it is either corrupted, or a "stupid" file needed by the OS / UI for its purposes.

ETA
Sorry, didn't pay enough attention:
Actually, I see 2 albums - with, and without the slash before the apostrophe.
Same problems as before, track number missing and wring date in the flac (the wrong date format is just for purists, as moOde figures it out)

Still not an issue IMO, just (possibly) incorrect / dubious metadata.
(10-23-2023, 06:42 PM)Nutul Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

I copied both files in one folder, updated the library, and only the mp3 file showed up in the album.
Then fixed the album name in the flac file (was "Nell/'assenzio", while on the mp3 it was "Nell'assenzio", without the slash...), updated the library, and was able to see both tracks.
NOTE:
1. the flac file is missing the track number
2. the flac file has an invalid Vorbis date tag - both as tag field name (YEAR) and contents (yyyy-mm-dd rather than only YYYY)

I would also suggest to not use apostrophes (or the like) in file names (in the tags it's fine, of course), as some OSs use them to enclose filenames with spaces, and can get messed up... not mandatory, just my suggestion.

As per your filename with an underscore in its name, most probably is an artifact of MacOS, and probably it is the reason of the error message you got (the file has .flac as extension, the library attempts to decode it as FLAC, but probably it is either corrupted, or a "stupid" file needed by the OS / UI for its purposes.

Not an issue IMO, just (possibly) incorrect / dubious metadata.

Because of the way MPD/moOde "assemble" albums from track info, they think there are two albums involved because of the presence/absence of the reverse solidus in the track metadata. However, that just caused the folder view to show a folder containing two albums entries and two tracks in my player. Whether this is a problem depends on whether one actually wants both the .flac and .mp3 tracks or this was just a test.

True about the track number.

As for the date, metaflac reveals the actual metadata in the file

Code:
kreed@T520:~/Downloads/Luca$ metaflac --list --block-number=2 Luca*.flac
METADATA block #2
 type: 4 (VORBIS_COMMENT)
 is last: false
 length: 143
 vendor string: reference libFLAC 1.3.3 20190804
 comments: 5
   comment[0]: TITLE=Nell\'assenzio
   comment[1]: ARTIST=Luca Dirisio
   comment[2]: ALBUM=Nell\'assenzio
   comment[3]: YEAR=2011
   comment[4]: DATE=2011-07-09

According to the FLAC spec the metadata is to be contained in a VORBIS COMMENT block. The VORBIS spec, in turn, says

Quote:Below is a proposed, minimal list of standard field names with a description of intended use. No single or group of field names is mandatory; a comment header may contain one, all or none of the names in this list.

The list does not contain YEAR but does contain DATE with no guidance as to the date representation

Quote:DATE

Date the track was recorded

Note that moOde displays "2011" for both the FLAC and the MP3 tracks provided.

Bottom line, we can quibble about the values in the metadata fields (and I love to do so) and to emphasize the value of regularizing the metadata of all the tracks in one's library but the provided tracks play without issue.

Regards,
Kent
(10-23-2023, 04:06 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: It sounds like you have hidden files created by MacOS.

The solution is to delete all the hidden files.

great suggestion, unfortunately I could not find any extra files with ls-la

Regards,
Kent

Thank you. I followed your steps (more o less Wink).
I copied the files on a directory of my windows PC, reformated the usb key and recopied the files.
Then I "Clear Library tag cache" and "Regenerate(d) Music database" and so the list is now clean (without ._ files).
(10-23-2023, 07:16 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Bottom line, we can quibble about the values in the metadata fields (and I love to do so) and to emphasize the value of regularizing the metadata of all the tracks in one's library but the provided tracks play without issue.

Regards,
Kent

I admit I am not precise with the tags, but I will check and correct the biggest anomalies.

Thanks for the suggestions.