Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Radio Station Backup Question
This probably should have been obvious to me.

When using the restore feature and including moOde stations from the backup, am I effectively replacing the contents of the radio station database with the content from the backup?  That is, there is no "where different" logic?

If that's true, then I'm effectively reversing any improvements that have been made to the streams during an upgrade.  But also, if then do an in-place upgrade on to a system with radio stations from many versions previous, how are the in-place updates to the radio stations handled in situations where my list will have stations that have moved, been replaced, or deleted?
----------------
Robert
You are correct.

On a normal backup restore only select to restore the custom/user stations. Avoid restoring the moode/system stations, that will indeed rolling back to an old version. If a moode/ssytem station is unwanted use the hide option.

An inplace update makes a difference between the moode/system stations and your own custom/user stations. If leave yours alone.
For the moode/system stations only stations it will only that in account the changes made between versions. So a local deleted stations will not be restored, unless the stations data is changed.

btw the command line version of the station_manager includes a differ.
Right, that explains how I got into the mess with Naim Jazz vanishing then...  I notice from the diffs I've done on station_data.json in backups of my systems and "fresh" systems, that stations can move about quite a bit so there are potentially all sorts of strange ways that an in-place update could do something interesting to a station list from several versions ago.

The reason I included the moOde stations in my backups is partly because it is on by default, so I assumed that meant it is recommended, and partly because I have some moOde stations with alterations, either to mark as favourites, or to use a logo I prefer, or change the genre.  So, I think I need to just accept that I have to do some manual restoration on radio stations after any full re-imaging and stop putting the moOde Stations in my backups.

Is there a case here for excluding moOde stations from backups by default or presenting a warning that restoring them might roll back improvements?
----------------
Robert
Good point regarding the moOde stations defaulting to "Off" for a backup, and improving the help for the option. I'll add to the TODO list.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Fo this reason the backup_manager.py does by default only backup/restore of the user/custom stations.
If you use automatic backup restore by placing the backup file on the SD card only the user/station are restored (even if it contains the moode/system stations).

So only the moode-gui restore (and maybe backup) option needs change for default settings.
(11-17-2023, 04:01 PM)bitlab Wrote: Fo this reason the backup_manager.py does by default only backup/restore of the user/custom stations.
If you use automatic backup restore by placing the backup file on the SD card only the user/station are restored (even if it contains the moode/system stations).

So only the moode-gui restore (and maybe backup) option needs change for default settings.

Ok got it.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub