Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Newbie: Pi-DAC-PSU-Amp-Speakers
Newbie here

So I'm just starting here, I don't have a  lot of spare cash. What I do have I would like to spend in the right area.
So where is it most important to spend my money?
Is a Pi5 worth an upgrade over a Pi3, I would assume that it would bring more issues than benefit. Heat and power being the main issues?
I can see that the amp could be fed from the Pi3/4 audio jack. What is the difference between the Pi audio jack, a USB Soudblaster and a £200 DAC.
I only have a small fromt room so is an amp that can push more than 30W RMS excessive?
Where would I go over a set of WD Diamond 9.1 speakers.

I guess that my biggest issues are,
1) I am 60+ and my the frequency response of my ears is the limiting factor.
2) Budget
3) Small Living room. I don't need volume.
What equipment do you already have?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@dacnik 

No, a Pi5 is not needed. I find moOde performance to be quite adequate on a Pi3A+ or a Pi Zero 2 W. The Pi3B+ and Pi4B are fine.

In any case, it's unlikely a version of moOde which boots and runs on a Pi5 is available before next spring.

The Pi headphone jack is workable but even a cheap  DAC HAT likely will outperform it (an IQaudio DAC Pro is USD25 here). I'm long past the age where my hearing was 20-20kHz, but I can still hear the difference in quality.

You can always start with a bare minimum setup and go up from there as you see fit.

Regards,
Kent
(11-26-2023, 03:39 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: --SNIP--

You can always start with a bare minimum setup and go up from there as you see fit.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks Kent,
I think that is the plan then.
I will start with what I have, Pi4 and USB soundcard and build up my flac collection first.
I will look at upgrading the DAC and Amp in that order if the bug hits.