Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Apple 3.5mm DAC dongle experience
So while I await the arrival of the SMSL C200 DAC i ordered last week, I remembered I had a spare Apple USB-C to 3.5mm DAC dongle. 

First question I wondered - is it just an electrical pin adapter, or a true DAC? A tear down confirms that despite it's small size, the Apple dongle contains the Cirrus Logic 46L06-CWZR DAC chip (https://www.cabledo.com/apple-usb-c-digi...-teardown/).

So - also keen to ensure no problems using a USB DAC with my Pi 3B (noting the USB and ethernet share bus bandwidth, although I'm using WiFi for my Pi), I ran my Pi into the USB dongle with a USB-A to USB-C adapter, which then connects via 3.5mm to RCA to 5-pin DIN to my Naim Nait 2 amp.

....and after selecting "USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack A" in Moode's audio settings - it works! No clicks, pops, drop outs, and to my ears, good sound quality.

I'm still looking forward to the SMSL C200, but pleased / relieved to know the Apple DAC and Pi 3B USB are a fully working combo. Signature updated  Smile
TrueNAS scale -> Pi 3B -> SMSL C200 -> Naim NAIT 2 -> Theophany M4 -> ears
How are you connecting this to the RPi? Just with a USB C female to USB B male adapter?
(12-03-2023, 04:26 PM)jonners Wrote: How are you connecting this to the RPi? Just with a USB C female to USB B male adapter?

Yep (edited my first post to reflect this) Smile
Well, the SMSL C200 arrived yesterday (really quick shipping from China to NZ!). It's a noticeable step up in sound quality from the dongle and has a natively higher output to the amplifier, which helps a lot. Very tidy little unit, and it's great to have bluetooth as an option.

I'm not using the DAC's volume control, and have set it to 99%, and use my Naim amp to adjust the volume as I've been doing all these years.
How are you connecting this and powering the Pi at the same time?
(03-12-2024, 06:17 PM)Spacebar Wrote: How are you connecting this and powering the Pi at the same time?

I had wondered this at first too. It's an rPi 3B, so I would expect it's powered through micro USB as normal.
(04-03-2024, 04:48 PM)eDad2003 Wrote: I had wondered this at first too. It's an rPi 3B, so I would expect it's powered through micro USB as normal.

Yep. Pi 3B powered through microUSB, and the Apple dongle plugged into a Pi USB-A port via a USB-C to USB-A adapter.