Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: broken folder.jpg - Moode cache?
Hi,
a folder.jpg does not display in the library despite all my efforts. I tried to:
  • Unmount/Remount the Audio Source in Library configuration;
  • Regenerate the database
  • Clear Library tag cache
  • Regenerate thumbnails
  • Mount a different audio source (hoping to maybe empty some cache) and mount back my audio source
  • change tags info for the problematic album in order to make Moode believe it is a different album (but you don't trick Moode Audio easily Wink
  • change the folder name for the problematic album
  • try with a different browser
Nothing worked...

but if I add a completely new album in the library and use the problematic folder.jpg file for that new album, it displays normally. So the jpg file itself is not the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.
(12-18-2023, 09:35 AM)ronjames Wrote: but if I add a completely new album in the library and use the problematic folder.jpg file for that new album, it displays normally. So the jpg file itself is not the problem.

I think the problem might be in that moOde examines the last file in the folder, so if your folder.jpg falls (alphabetically) anywhere else it won't work.
try renaming it to zzz-folder.jpg and see if it works; but you must regenerate the thumbnail cache, as now there is a default picture already associated with your folder, and won´t get overwritten...

NOTE:
if your folder contains .ogg files for instance, it could force the folder.jpg to always be listed BEFORE the audio files. In that case you can rename it to folder.ogg.jpg (Linux won't complain)

HTH
(12-18-2023, 10:20 AM)Nutul Wrote:
(12-18-2023, 09:35 AM)ronjames Wrote: but if I add a completely new album in the library and use the problematic folder.jpg file for that new album, it displays normally. So the jpg file itself is not the problem.

I think the problem might be in that moOde examines the last file in the folder, so if your folder.jpg falls (alphabetically) anywhere else it won't work.
try renaming it to zzz-folder.jpg and see if it works; but you must regenerate the thumbnail cache, as now there is a default picture already associated with your folder, and won´t get overwritten...

NOTE:
if your folder contains .ogg files for instance, it could force the folder.jpg to always be listed BEFORE the audio files. In that case you can rename it to folder.ogg.jpg (Linux won't complain)

HTH

Thanks Nutul, you helped a lot.
My collection goes back and I went through various codecs over the years (decades). The two albums for which covers were broken both used APE codec. Even though folder.jpg was the last file since audio files were like 01-....ape and were listed before, it obviously was messing up a way or another because as soon as I converted APE files to FLAC: problem solved! Smile
I would have never found out without your mention of OGG files. Thanks again
(12-18-2023, 10:20 AM)Nutul Wrote:

NOTE:

HTH

Incorrect.

The thumbnail generator examines the last track (song file) in the album directory for embedded cover art. Formats supported are DSF, MP3, M4A and FLAC

For cover image files the generator first looks in the album dir for a file named: Cover/cover or Folder/folder .gif .jpg/.jpeg .png or .tif/.tiff

If no file is found then it looks for any file in the album dir of type image.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-18-2023, 09:35 AM)ronjames Wrote: Hi,
a folder.jpg does not display in the library despite all my efforts. I tried to:
  • Unmount/Remount the Audio Source in Library configuration;
  • Regenerate the database
  • Clear Library tag cache
  • Regenerate thumbnails
  • Mount a different audio source (hoping to maybe empty some cache) and mount back my audio source
  •  change tags info for the problematic album in order to make Moode believe it is a different album (but you don't trick Moode Audio easily Wink
  • change the folder name for the problematic album
  • try with a different browser
Nothing worked...

but if I add a completely new album in the library and use the problematic folder.jpg file for that new album, it displays normally. So the jpg file itself is not the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Zip up the album and PM a download link to myself, @Nutul and @TheOldPresbyope. One of us will see of we can repro your issue.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
The .ape files have an APE metadata tag, which moOde doesn't support AFAIK, the files do have an embedded art, 500x499
Probably, converting them to FLAC maintains also the album art - will try later

ffmpeg -i <file>.ape <file>.flac

is more than enough, as both codecs are native internal.
@ronjames 

I got your file. I had only time to unzip it, add the contents to a moOde 8.3.7 player and update the library. As is, the coverart displays properly in Library and Playback views BUT I had already changed a user-preference setting which I believe may be the source of your issue.

Under m > Preferences / Cover Art you'll find the option "Audio formats". Try changing this from "Default" to "All" and rescan the folder.

I have to be somewhere else in 10 minutes so no time to do more. If this change doesn't do the trick, let us know.

Regards,
Kent
(12-18-2023, 02:21 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @ronjames 

I got your file. I had only time to unzip it, add the contents to a moOde 8.3.7 player and update the library. As is, the coverart displays properly in Library and Playback views BUT I had already changed a user-preference setting which I believe may be the source of your issue.

Under m > Preferences / Cover Art you'll find the option "Audio formats". Try changing this from "Default" to "All" and rescan the folder.

I have to be somewhere else in 10 minutes so no time to do more. If this change doesn't do the trick, let us know.

Regards,
Kent

When I changed "Preferences / Cover Art / Audio formats" to "All" the cover is displayed with APE files.
Anyway, I had only two albums using APE codec and I converted them into FLAC, and therefore no more problems with covers.

Last question  to @Nutul: what do you use to be able to see a tag like AFAIK? I can't see it with Tag&Rename nor MP3tag.

Thank you all for your help and let me know if you need anything else from me.
Best
(12-18-2023, 07:50 PM)ronjames Wrote: Last question  to @Nutul: what do you use to be able to see a tag like AFAIK? I can't see it with Tag&Rename nor MP3tag.

I am under Linux, and use kid3. It is available for Windows and Mac too.
Excuse me if I totally misread the question but when you say "a tag like AFAIK" I worry you are looking for a metadata field with that label. Nope, that's just a common Internet acronym for "as far as I know".

As Al said, Kid3 works fine for editing metadata on Linux systems but Mp3tag works just as well. I have a copy of the Windows version of Mp3tag installed using Wine on my Linux Mint box and it's handily displaying the metadata from the APE2 tracks you provided. Be sure to enable the reading of APE2 metadata in the Tools/Options/Tags menu.

These are just two of many music metadata editors available for various platforms. Another I quite like is MusicBrainz Picard, because it has direct access to the MusicBrainz database.

Regards,
Kent