Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Connected to 5GHz Wifi, but configured for 2.4Ghz
New to Pi and Moode.  I appoligize ahead of time if this is just a "dumb newbee" mistake.  Just got a 4B board and installed Moode 8.3.7 and have it working serving flac files from a thumb drive.  My Wifi has seperate 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs.  While I tried both, it is currently set to the 2.4Ghz one, but shows attached to the 5Ghz one via TP-link Tether app.  I have saved the 2.4Ghz config and that is what it shows on configure screen.  I have rebooted numerous times.

FWIW: I haven't confirmed 2.4GHz Wifi working yet.  Also, my one attempt of using the 2.4Ghz access point, did not work, either.  Maybe a H/W issue with 2.4?  Ethernet and 5GHz do work.  I am using one of those metal, heatsink, fanless, cases.  While it may be blocking the 2.4, I don't understand the config not working.  Does it auto switch?
In the Wireless section of the Network Config screen there is info showing which WiFi network the Pi is using.

Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-01-2024, 02:13 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: In the Wireless section of the Network Config screen there is info showing which WiFi network the Pi is using.
Thx, I do see just below the box, the small print that shows it is attached on my 5GHz SSID.
Look in Network section of the startup log. It will show what took place when Linux tried to connect to your Wireless network.

You can view the log via the command moodeutl -l or it can be downloaded from the Logs section of System Config.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-01-2024, 06:42 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Look in Network section of the startup log. It will show what took place when Linux tried to connect to your Wireless network.

You can view the log via the command moodeutl -l or it can be downloaded from the Logs section of System Config.

Thank-you.  It looks like it has both networks.  I assumed it tried the 2.4Ghz (MAPLEOAK) before switching to the 5GHz (BigMapleOak).  I tested it with case removed, and it did connect to the 2.4GHz.

20240101 141516 worker: -- Network
20240101 141516 worker: --
20240101 141516 worker: Eth: adapter exists
20240101 141516 worker: Eth: timeout off
20240101 141516 worker: Eth: address not assigned
20240101 141516 worker: Wlan: adapter exists
20240101 141516 worker: Wlan: country US
20240101 141516 worker: Wlan: SSID    MAPLEOAK
20240101 141516 worker: Wlan: other   BigMapleOak
20240101 141516 worker: Wlan: router  off
20240101 141516 worker: Wlan: timeout up to 90 secs
20240101 141516 worker: Wlan: connect to BigMapleOak
20240101 141516 worker: Wlan: sleep   disabled
20240101 141517 worker: Wlan: method  dhcp
@SerbJ 

Quote:Thank-you.  It looks like it has both networks.  I assumed it tried the 2.4Ghz (MAPLEOAK) before switching to the 5GHz (BigMapleOak).  I tested it with case removed, and it did connect to the 2.4GHz.

Based on your log output, it appears that the credentials of both APs (e.g., SSIDs MAPLEOAK and BigMapleOak and their respective passphrases) have been entered and stored in moOde.

The order in which the WiFi subsystem attempts to connect to stored APs is dependent on the contents of stanzas in the protected file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. and their order. (Consult the InterWeb™ for details about the parameters specified in this file.) In the connection process, the first successful attempt wins.

If you are familiar with the Linux command line, then you can easily examine the quality of the actual connection. For example, on one of my moOde players:

Code:
pi@Sunroom:~ $ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"<my AP SSID>"  
         Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.785 GHz  Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  
         Bit Rate=433.3 Mb/s   Tx-Power=31 dBm  
         Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality=66/70  Signal level=-44 dBm  
         Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
         Tx excessive retries:4370  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

A good connection would show a high "Link Quality" ratio and high "Signal level" (e.g., small negative number). The numbers seen here are pretty good.

Sounds to me as if you may need either to use a nonmetallic case or to use an external WiFi adapter in order ensure a reliable network connection.

Regards,
Kent
(01-02-2024, 12:37 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @SerbJ 

Quote:Thank-you.  It looks like it has both networks.  I assumed it tried the 2.4Ghz (MAPLEOAK) before switching to the 5GHz (BigMapleOak).  I tested it with case removed, and it did connect to the 2.4GHz.

Based on your log output, it appears that the credentials of both APs (e.g., SSIDs MAPLEOAK and BigMapleOak and their respective passphrases) have been entered and stored in moOde.

The order in which the WiFi subsystem attempts to connect to stored APs is dependent on the contents of stanzas in the protected file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. and their order. (Consult the InterWeb™ for details about the parameters specified in this file.) In the connection process, the first successful attempt wins.

If you are familiar with the Linux command line, then you can easily examine the quality of the actual connection. For example, on one of my moOde players:

Code:
pi@Sunroom:~ $ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"<my AP SSID>"  
         Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.785 GHz  Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  
         Bit Rate=433.3 Mb/s   Tx-Power=31 dBm  
         Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality=66/70  Signal level=-44 dBm  
         Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
         Tx excessive retries:4370  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

A good connection would show a high "Link Quality" ratio and high "Signal level" (e.g., small negative number). The numbers seen here are pretty good.

Sounds to me as if you may need either to use a nonmetallic case or to use an external WiFi adapter in order ensure a reliable network connection.

Regards,
Kent

Thx Kent.  It was only 2 feet away from the router during that test.  ;Wink  I changed what is saved in the network config to the 5GHz wifi, and seems to try that first.  I have now in the living room, a couple doorways and wall away.  It was showing just above 50% signal level according to the network config.  I am not seeing any issues connecting to an old iPad.  Outside of TVs, nothing else is on the 5GHz.  

I saw some videos on how to add an external antenna to the Pi 4B, or add another USB device, but currently doesn' look like I have to go that way.