Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: 5 inch display still doesn't work
I bought one of those small 5 inch displays to hook up to the Raspberry Pi a little while back. The problem?  While the music is playing, there is no problem. But if I pause it, sometime later the Pi dies.  I have to cycle the power to bring it back up. Someone on this forum suggested using Firefox instead of Chrome.  No, still the same.  As long as it's playing, it's fine.  If I pause, it dies eventually.  The little display is cool to see what's playing, but I have to keep in disabled to keep the Pi running.

Am I the only one this happens to?
(02-08-2024, 03:51 PM)donn1 Wrote: I bought one of those small 5 inch displays to hook up to the Raspberry Pi a little while back. The problem?  While the music is playing, there is no problem. But if I pause it, sometime later the Pi dies.  I have to cycle the power to bring it back up. Someone on this forum suggested using Firefox instead of Chrome.  No, still the same.  As long as it's playing, it's fine.  If I pause, it dies eventually.  The little display is cool to see what's playing, but I have to keep in disabled to keep the Pi running.

C'mon, you're going to have to reveal more than it's a 5 inch display. 

For example:
  • What Pi? 
  • What moOde release? 
  • What display?
  • What interface? 
  • What was done to make the display work with moOde?
  • What do you mean by "the Pi dies"? (Hint having the screen blank is one thing; not being to access the webUI or the SSH port is another.)
Inquiring minds want to know.

Regards,
Kent
(02-08-2024, 04:37 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(02-08-2024, 03:51 PM)donn1 Wrote: I bought one of those small 5 inch displays to hook up to the Raspberry Pi a little while back. The problem?  While the music is playing, there is no problem. But if I pause it, sometime later the Pi dies.  I have to cycle the power to bring it back up. Someone on this forum suggested using Firefox instead of Chrome.  No, still the same.  As long as it's playing, it's fine.  If I pause, it dies eventually.  The little display is cool to see what's playing, but I have to keep in disabled to keep the Pi running.

For example:
  • What Pi? 
  • What moOde release? 
  • What display?
  • What interface? 
  • What do you mean by "the Pi dies"? (Hint having the screen blank is one thing; not being to access the webUI or the SSH port is another.)

Regards,
Kent

1. Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
2. Latest moode,  8.2.7
3. https://www.amazon.com/Hosyond-Display-8...r=8-1&th=1
4. HDMI interface
5. Plugged it in, Peripherals->Display->On
6. Dies as in dead, no screen, no webUI, no ssh
@donn1 

So basically just an HDMI display. 

Your problem sounds to me to be unrelated to moOde itself.

I've had no problem in the past using a very similar 3.5-in LCD display connected to various RPi2Bs and RPi3Bs. It came with a GPIO socket on its backplane so it can be used as a Pi HAT drawing only power from the Pi; the vendor included a neat little HDMI-HDMI jumper plug for a compact assembly.

It's been in storage for a year or so but I just dug it out and powered it up with a USB separate power supply. Connected it to an RPi4B via HDMI cable and moOde 8.3.7 is happily displaying on  it.

Caveat. This particular display has an annoying feature which caused me to stop using it. If moOde's local display "Screen blank" function is enabled, then when it times out the LCD display goes to blue-screen mode prominently showing the text "No signal" and the moOde view doesn't want to come back. Meh. I haven't bothered to figure out how to work around this properly (the easy work-around is, don't blank the screen) but it's the reason the unit was in storage.

However, moOde doesn't die; I just have to restart the local display.

Regards,
Kent
(02-10-2024, 12:19 PM)donn1 Wrote:

For example:
  • What Pi? 
  • What moOde release? 
  • What display?
  • What interface? 

Regards,
Kent

1. Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
2. Latest moode,  8.2.7
4. HDMI interface

If you don't even see the Linux boot console scrolling on the screen after starting the Pi then it could be a power issue.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(02-10-2024, 04:16 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 12:19 PM)donn1 Wrote:

For example:
  • What Pi? 
  • What moOde release? 
  • What display?
  • What interface? 

Regards,
Kent

1. Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
2. Latest moode,  8.2.7
4. HDMI interface

If you don't even see the Linux boot console scrolling on the screen after starting the Pi then it could be a power issue.

The Linux boot console appears fine.  I may have a solution.  I haven't figured out how to link to a forum post, but a user named "stefel" posted in March 2022 an alternative php file which displays a simpler UI.  So far this seems to be working fine without a system lockup, but I need to give it more time.  It may be a PI3 problem, so maybe I should upgrade to 5.
If you get the boot console output then wait a minute or so for chromium to complete its startup.

I have a local HDMI display connected to Pi-3B and no issues whatsoever.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub