Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Playlist titles?
So, I've been playing around with (and playing) with a new install on a newly-acquired RPi 4B, and I was thinking. This second part isn't always a good thing, but I was wondering...

What about the idea of displaying the saved playlist name on the main playback window, somewhere - maybe scrolling under the Album/Track/Artist corner where there's some empty space? I've added an attachment to show what I'm attempting to express my meaning.

I was thinking about that as I put together some tracks pulled off my media server and named the playlist 'Bit of Everything.' A month from now, I won't remember that name even if I can pull it up on the Browse By Folders screen. To be honest, a few hours from now I won't remember it, but that's beside the point. I could also look in /var/lib/mpd/playlists to get the names - and I do - but this seems to be one of those little things. Granted, I say that, but it could also be one of those 'little things' that could be more complicated than expected. I don't think this is an option or setting that already exists somewhere and I'm missing it.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised either...

Thanks!

joe

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What version of moode are u using?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thumbs Up 
Good idea.
I'd also like a one click option to show the contents of the playlist, as my memory isn't what it used to be. 
This is an option in album view and I (ymmv) have a lot less trouble remembering what songs are on an album than some playlist I quickly put together some time ago.
(03-26-2024, 10:49 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What version of moode are u using?

Most recent, which is 8.3.9... I think. I possibly should have mentioned that. Whoops.
(03-26-2024, 11:48 PM)Mattt Wrote: Good idea.
I'd also like a one click option to show the contents of the playlist, as my memory isn't what it used to be. 
This is an option in album view and I (ymmv) have a lot less trouble remembering what songs are on an album than some playlist I quickly put together some time ago.

Do you mean add a "View" option to the "One-touch playlist" Prefs setting?
Enjoy the Music!
(03-26-2024, 07:32 PM)Joseph.Barrow Wrote: So, I've been playing around with (and playing) with a new install on a newly-acquired RPi 4B, and I was thinking. This second part isn't always a good thing, but I was wondering...

What about the idea of displaying the saved playlist name on the main playback window, somewhere - maybe scrolling under the Album/Track/Artist corner where there's some empty space? I've added an attachment to show what I'm attempting to express my meaning.

I was thinking about that as I put together some tracks pulled off my media server and named the playlist 'Bit of Everything.' A month from now, I won't remember that name even if I can pull it up on the Browse By Folders screen. To be honest, a few hours from now I won't remember it, but that's beside the point. I could also look in /var/lib/mpd/playlists to get the names - and I do - but this seems to be one of those little things. Granted, I say that, but it could also be one of those 'little things' that could be more complicated than expected. I don't think this is an option or setting that already exists somewhere and I'm missing it.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised either...

Thanks!

joe

Do you mean that after loading a saved playlist into the Queue or saving the Queue as a playlist, display the name of that playlist somewhere on the main Playback screen for example above or below the Queue?

I can certainly see the benefit but there is a challenge. What to do with the displayed playlist name when the Queue which contains only the playlists' tracks is altered by adding tracks, albums, or radio stations directly from the Library?

I suppose "(modified)" or some other indicator could be added to the name. What do you think?
Enjoy the Music!
(03-27-2024, 11:02 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Do you mean that after loading a saved playlist into the Queue or saving the Queue as a playlist, display the name of that playlist somewhere on the main Playback screen for example above or below the Queue?

I can certainly see the benefit but there is a challenge. What to do with the displayed playlist name when the Queue which contains only the playlists' tracks is altered by adding tracks, albums, or radio stations directly from the Library?

I suppose "(modified)" or some other indicator could be added to the name. What do you think?

Display somewhere on the main Playback screen. I hadn't thought of 'above or below,' but thinking on that it seems to be that 'below' would be better. If only floating above the Queue, with the contents of the Queue flowing under it like water under a bridge. Is this possible? I'm thinking about some CSS hijinks I've seen as an example, but not having knowledge of how Moode was programmed to display stuff, I can't really say much more than that.

As for the indicator, possibly. Given a Playlist named "Awesome Stupendously Boring Playlist," should something be added and the '(modified)' indicator get added to make it 'Awesome Stupendously Boring Playlist (Modified)' could also serve as a reminder to actually save the playlist and its additions before closing the player and/or shutting down.

I jest in using that long name but to be serious for a moment, filenames of a given length would have to either be scrolled or have some kind of tooltip that shows the whole thing. The idea of playlist name limits remind me of DOS and its 8.3 filename format and trying to think of something to describe a given file. Is there a limit for MPD's playlists file names? I actually don't know...

I had a passing thought about changing the color of a modified playlist's title or just flashing or pulsing it to draw attention, but I think it would be best to set that thought down. That might be too much.
(03-27-2024, 10:54 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

Yes. a "Show Tracks" option.
(03-27-2024, 07:47 PM)Mattt Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 10:54 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

Yes. a "Show Tracks" option.

This was committed earlier today.

Enjoy the Music!
(03-27-2024, 07:43 PM)Joseph.Barrow Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 11:02 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Do you mean that after loading a saved playlist into the Queue or saving the Queue as a playlist, display the name of that playlist somewhere on the main Playback screen for example above or below the Queue?

Display somewhere on the main Playback screen. I hadn't thought of 'above or below,' but thinking on that it seems to be that 'below' would be better. If only floating above the Queue, with the contents of the Queue flowing under it like water under a bridge. Is this possible? I'm thinking about some CSS hijinks I've seen as an example, but not having knowledge of how Moode was programmed to display stuff, I can't really say much more than that.

As for the indicator, possibly. Given a Playlist named "Awesome Stupendously Boring Playlist," should something be added and the '(modified)' indicator get added to make it 'Awesome Stupendously Boring Playlist (Modified)' could also serve as a reminder to actually save the playlist and its additions before closing the player and/or shutting down.

I jest in using that long name but to be serious for a moment, filenames of a given length would have to either be scrolled or have some kind of tooltip that shows the whole thing. The idea of playlist name limits remind me of DOS and its 8.3 filename format and trying to think of something to describe a given file. Is there a limit for MPD's playlists file names? I actually don't know...

I had a passing thought about changing the color of a modified playlist's title or just flashing or pulsing it to draw attention, but I think it would be best to set that thought down. That might be too much.

For sure no flashing, blinking or animated scrolling text :-0

The playlist name (not the file name) could be displayed at the top of the Queue in the "container" div thus it would remain in a fixed position and not scroll with the Queue.

I mocked it up and it's kind of distracting on the purposefully minimalist WebUI. There is a "Queue time" option (a popup notification) on the ellipsis menus which could be enhanced to also show the last playlist that was added.
Enjoy the Music!