Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

MPD Error
I have had this happen on two Pi's now. One time it happened I accidently removed the power without shutting it down. The second time it happened was on another Pi and my power went out.

Basically when the Pi comes back on all it says over and over again is "MPD error openMPdSock() failed. You can't even SSH into it and get a log.

[Image: moode-mpd-error.png]

Both were running the 32-bit version of 8.3.9. 

I just thought moOde was more stable than this. I used to have a similar issue with running piCore player because it needed to run a script to shut down. So if you just pulled power, the SD card would get corrupt and the Pi would not boot. I just don't want to run into a similar situation where I have to re-flash moOde EVERY TIME I have a power outage.

PS - Luckily the other one was powered down correctly and not even on when the power outage happened.
(05-03-2024, 06:20 PM)azimuth Wrote: I have had this happen on two Pi's now. One time it happened I accidently removed the power without shutting it down. The second time it happened was on another Pi and my power went out.

Basically when the Pi comes back on all it says over and over again is "MPD error openMPdSock() failed. You can't even SSH into it and get a log.

I just thought moOde was more stable than this. I used to have a similar issue with running piCore player because it needed to run a script to shut down. So if you just pulled power, the SD card would get corrupt and the Pi would not boot. I just don't want to run into a similar situation where I have to re-flash moOde EVERY TIME I have a power outage.

PS - Luckily the other one was powered down correctly and not even on when the power outage happened.

My Pi4 is on 24/7, and I have roughly 1 power outage a month (maybe 1 hour, maybe 3 seconds., but that's it) and never had an issue like yours in a good 4 years...
Try shutting it down correctly, and then reboot.
(05-03-2024, 07:41 PM)Nutul Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 06:20 PM)azimuth Wrote: I have had this happen on two Pi's now. One time it happened I accidently removed the power without shutting it down. The second time it happened was on another Pi and my power went out.

My Pi4 is on 24/7, and I have roughly 1 power outage a month (maybe 1 hour, maybe 3 seconds., but that's it) and never had an issue like yours in a good 4 years...
Try shutting it down correctly, and then reboot.

I tried that, but the MPD Error basically locks up the Pi to where it will not respond to commands. The SSH will not even open. I can't to the Settings menu, etc.
Hi azimuth,
I had a similar experience to one of Al (never got this kind of issue).
If the message you see is of the main screen you should go to menu (m on top right) and then power - restart.
Best regards,
Francesco
@azimuth 

I've pretty routinely been too impatient to shut down my moOde players properly and just kill the power. (Especially true when constantly testing various developments and configurations). I'm not recommending this practice but it hasn't caused problems for me.

Caveats: all my gear is based on various Pi models more recent than Pi 2B; I use only official RPi power supplies; I use the best uSD cards I can buy; and I never just pull an energized USB cord from the Pi.

What Pi models are you using and how are they powered? What other hardware is connected?

If you can't access your moOde player after the MPD error occurs, you might consider pulling the uSD card from the Pi and examining its contents on another computer. There may be useful diagnostic information in the logs at ./var/log, beginning with ./var/log/moode.log and ./var/log/syslog,

Regards,
Kent
(05-03-2024, 11:55 PM)fdealexa Wrote: Hi azimuth,
I had a similar experience to one of Al (never got this kind of issue).
If the message you see is of the main screen you should go to menu (m on top right) and then power - restart.
Best regards,
Francesco

I tried this. It sill say "Restarting..." and then just come back to the MPD error.
(05-04-2024, 12:19 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @azimuth 

I've pretty routinely been too impatient to shut down my moOde players properly and just kill the power. (Especially true when constantly testing various developments and configurations). I'm not recommending this practice but it hasn't caused problems for me.

Caveats: all my gear is based on various Pi models more recent than Pi 2B; I use only official RPi power supplies; I use the best uSD cards I can buy; and I never just pull an energized USB cord from the Pi.

What Pi models are you using and how are they powered? What other hardware is connected?

If you can't access your moOde player after the MPD error occurs, you might consider pulling the uSD card from the Pi and examining its contents on another computer. There may be useful diagnostic information in the logs at ./var/log, beginning with ./var/log/moode.log and ./var/log/syslog,

Regards,
Kent

In your testing, be sure the MPD is playing a file. Maybe one off of a local Samba share. 

Models are a Pi Nano and a Pi 2B. Both are powered in a box with good power supplies. One is in a Metrum Baby Ambre, and the other is in a normal sized Ambre. I have never had issues with the SD card being corrupt after a power outage up until this version. 

I have another Linux machine that I might could pull those files and post here.