Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Loss off network shares on 8.2
(11-02-2022, 05:26 PM)rph-r Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 01:39 PM)Phosphoric Wrote: I turned everything off and the restarted in this order:

Boot PC with Mint 21 live image (therefore completely clean)
Boot moode 8.21 and it opened up fully with no permission problems!
YES! I reproduced that. I have another RPi with a NAS, I disabled it, rebooted all other guys, and I can now access Moode USB drive and everything...

@rph-r 
Have you tried an earlier version of mo0de?   I have no problem with ver.7.xx.  My problems started with ver.8.xx..........something's changed with regard to smb permissions or the like.
(11-02-2022, 06:25 PM)Phosphoric Wrote: @rph-r 
Have you tried an earlier version of mo0de?   I have no problem with ver.7.xx.  My problems started with ver.8.xx..........something's changed with regard to smb permissions or the like.

No... Before 8, my hard drive was a NAS on the other RPi.
@rph-r
@Tim Curtis

OK, I found the bug that causes the behavior I reported in my post #70 

In /var/www/sys-config.php there's this nugget

Code:
// SMB
if (isset($_POST['update_fs_smb'])) {
       if (isset($_POST['fs_smb']) && $_POST['fs_smb'] != $_SESSION['fs_smb']) {
               phpSession('write', 'fs_smb', $_POST['fs_smb']);
               submitJob('fs_smb', $_POST['fs_nfs'], 'Settings updated', '');
       }
}

That last line (line 265 in my file) should be

Code:
               submitJob('fs_smb', $_POST['fs_smb'], 'Settings updated', '');

With this fix the SMB file sharing service is reliably accessible from my LAN when it's supposed to be.

I'd be interested to hear if making this fix affects the behaviors reported by others on this thread, some of which I still haven't figured out.

Regards,
Kent
Good catch! I'll investigate in a bit.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-03-2022, 02:57 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @rph-r
@Tim Curtis

OK, I found the bug that causes the behavior I reported in my post #70 

In /var/www/sys-config.php there's this nugget

Code:
// SMB
if (isset($_POST['update_fs_smb'])) {
       if (isset($_POST['fs_smb']) && $_POST['fs_smb'] != $_SESSION['fs_smb']) {
               phpSession('write', 'fs_smb', $_POST['fs_smb']);
               submitJob('fs_smb', $_POST['fs_nfs'], 'Settings updated', '');
       }
}

That last line (line 265 in my file) should be

Code:
               submitJob('fs_smb', $_POST['fs_smb'], 'Settings updated', '');

With this fix the SMB file sharing service is reliably accessible from my LAN when it's supposed to be.

I'd be interested to hear if making this fix affects the behaviors reported by others on this thread, some of which I still haven't figured out.

Regards,
Kent

It prolly was the root cause.

This bug results in the SMB on/off setting using the NFS on/off setting thus if NFS is off then SMB will also always be off even when the toggle is ON :-0

It's fixed for upcoming 8.2.3 but in the meantime here's a patch for that php file. Just paste it at the command prompt and then restart the servers.

Code:
# Command to patch the file
sudo sed -i s"/submitJob('fs_smb', \$_POST\['fs_nfs'\]/submitJob('fs_smb', \$_POST\['fs_smb'\]/" /var/www/sys-config.php

# Restart servers
moodeutl -r
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
The give-away for me was that port 139 was still closed after I toggled SMB File Sharing back on.
(11-03-2022, 06:03 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: The give-away for me was that port 139 was still closed after I toggled SMB File Sharing back on.

@TheOldPresbyope 

Well spotted Kent!  Master of code Big Grin

I carried out the mod as outlined by Tim but sadly it has no effect on my problem.

With everything turned off I boot up my Linux pc from a live Mint 21 usb stick.
Boot up mo0de 8.2 and I can view it from my Linux Mint network manager and read and write to the usb mounted sd card attached to the mo0de player.  Great Big Grin .

Now boot up my RPI OMV5 NAS which I can read and write to from Mint but I have now lost permissions to the mo0de mounted USB sd card. Confused 

"Unable to mount location. Failed to retrieve share list from server: invalid argument"

I must reiterate that that does not happen with ver 7.xx mo0de, the two RPIs work happily together with full permissions to read and write.

My engineering logic tells me that the fault lies in the ver8.xx software, not my pc.
Dear Master of Code, perhaps you could look at the difference between ver7.xx and 8.xx and find the bug Wink

Best regards
Ray
(11-04-2022, 07:59 AM)Phosphoric Wrote:
(11-03-2022, 06:03 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: The give-away for me was that port 139 was still closed after I toggled SMB File Sharing back on.

@TheOldPresbyope 

Well spotted Kent!  Master of code Big Grin

I carried out the mod as outlined by Tim but sadly it has no effect on my problem.

With everything turned off I boot up my Linux pc from a live Mint 21 usb stick.
Boot up mo0de 8.2 and I can view it from my Linux Mint network manager and read and write to the usb mounted sd card attached to the mo0de player.  Great Big Grin .

Now boot up my RPI OMV5 NAS which I can read and write to from Mint but I have now lost permissions to the mo0de mounted USB sd card. Confused 

"Unable to mount location.  Failed to retrieve share list from server: invalid argument"

I must reiterate that that does not happen with ver 7.xx mo0de, the two RPIs work happily together with full permissions to read and write.

My engineering logic tells me that the fault lies in the ver8.xx software, not my pc.
Dear Master of Code, perhaps you could look at the difference between ver7.xx and 8.xx and find the bug Wink

Best regards
Ray
OMV5 ? when was the last time you updated your OMV install.  There have been some changes in the samba versions and permissions since and it is possible your samba version and Raspberry Pi version do not align ? 
Latest MoOde is based on Bullseye as is OMV6

https://linuxiac.com/openmediavault-6-nas/
----------
bob
[quote pid='43632' dateline='1667549682']
OMV5 ? when was the last time you updated your OMV install.  There have been some changes in the samba versions and permissions since and it is possible your samba version and Raspberry Pi version do not align ? 
Latest MoOde is based on Bullseye as is OMV6

https://linuxiac.com/openmediavault-6-nas/

[/quote]
@DRONE7 

good point, I hadn't realised that.  I don't tend to update software that appears to be working OK especially my NAS which took a hell of a lot of work to get all the packages working properly. "If it aint broke etc."

Just one thought though.  The problem I have is communication between my Linux PC and rpi based mo0de 8.xx.  This works fine when no other pi is on the network thus the smb protocol between my Linux pc and  mo0de appears to be OK.
How does attaching another rpi to the network interfere with this communication?

Thanks
Ray
I’m still running OMV 5.6.24 on my Odroid HC1 and am having no issues with any protocol stacks—SMB, NFS, UPNP—and moOde. ETA … and my Linux Mint laptop.

ETA(2): I have a mix of hosts on my LAN, always including at least two moOde players and as many as 6 various model RPis depending on what I’m up to at the moment.

Regards,
Kent