Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Moode 8.3.3 in place update not possible
Hello Kent,

By the way I do not see the /dev/root you mentioned...
(07-04-2023, 04:21 PM)pkdick Wrote:
(06-30-2023, 06:35 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @pkdick 

What Tim said.

As well, the filesystem info we were looking at in that particular stanza is parsed by the moOde sysinfo.sh script from the output of the Linux df command. Could you please go to your moOde player's command line (either using moOde's Web SSH terminal or by ssh'ing from another host), execute the following two commands, and report the results?

Code:
df -h
lsblk

Here, for example, is what I get on the 32-bit moOde 8.3.3 player I mentioned before,

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ df -h
Filesystem             Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root              3.4G  2.7G  545M  84% /
devtmpfs               182M     0  182M   0% /dev
tmpfs                  214M     0  214M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                   86M  936K   85M   2% /run
tmpfs                  5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
/dev/mmcblk0p1         253M   51M  202M  20% /boot
tmpfs                   43M     0   43M   0% /run/user/1000
10.0.0.2:/export/Test  230G  161G   69G  70% /mnt/NAS/OMV-Test
pi@moode:~ $ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk0     179:0    0  3.7G  0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1    0  256M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2    0  3.5G  0 part /

The moOde script is looking specifically for a "/dev/root" entry.

Regards,
Kent
Hello Kent,

Sorry for the delay.

Please find the info you asked from me (it seems exactly the same as you).

For Tim: my µSD size is 64 GB.

Thank you for your support!

In your screenshot under the File system heading the line starting with /dev/root does not appear. This identifies the root partition and is what is used to determine if there is enough free space for an update.

All stock moOde images contain this entry.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hello Tim,

I understand that there is something wrong in my setup: is it possible to work out the configuration or do I have to wipe out my setup and to start it again ?

Best regards,
(07-07-2023, 09:16 AM)pkdick Wrote: Hello Tim,

I understand that there is something wrong in my setup: is it possible to work out the configuration or do I have to wipe out my setup and to start it again ?

Best regards,

I think you can make a backup, flash the 8.3.3 on a new SD card, then restore it.
It's weird, though, how the /dev/root Is replaced by /dev/mmcblk0p2 on your card...
Dear all,

This message to inform you that I eventually found why my setup was not able to update it's self:
  • During te COVID Lockdown, I built a Moode setup, and I wanted to display a splashscreen during Moode's boot,
  • I tried many proposed solutions (I asked for solutions in the Moode's Forum) but I found none of them to be really satisfying (the splashscreen's display time was not long enough with respect to the boot's time and there was always a "black screen" during boot),
  • I found someone apparently proposing a "simple" solution (just a line in the config.txt file as described in https://gitlab.com/DarkElvenAngel/initramfs-splash) and when I tested it, I found that the display time was longer than the other solutions.
As I am not a linux programmer, I did not realize that the use of this solution (maybe due to a bug) removed the /dev/root directory and when I removed "initramfs initramfs.img" then after reboot, all was set as normal.

Thank you for your support: the analysis done by Tim and Ken put my on the right track.

Best regards,
(08-27-2023, 07:52 AM)pkdick Wrote: Dear all,

This message to inform you that I eventually found why my setup was not able to update it's self:
  • During te COVID Lockdown, I built a Moode setup, and I wanted to display a splashscreen during Moode's boot,
  • I tried many proposed solutions (I asked for solutions in the Moode's Forum) but I found none of them to be really satisfying (the splashscreen's display time was not long enough with respect to the boot's time and there was always a "black screen" during boot),
  • I found someone apparently proposing a "simple" solution (just a line in the config.txt file as described in https://gitlab.com/DarkElvenAngel/initramfs-splash) and when I tested it, I found that the display time was longer than the other solutions.
As I am not a linux programmer, I did not realize that the use of this solution (maybe due to a bug) removed the /dev/root directory and when I removed "initramfs initramfs.img" then after reboot, all was set as normal.

Thank you for your support: the analysis done by Tim and Ken put my on the right track.

Best regards,

This s**t continues to happen! Every time somebody messes up their installation, then comes here crying and complaining moOde isn't working; and we keep wasting our time trying to figure things out and help! Then, after some time we get to know that "ooh, some time ago I did bla-bla-bla and bla-bla-bla and...".

I cannot speak for other members in the group (well, can't I...?), but I am utterly sick of this behavior.
Yes it is a bit annoying but that's just the nature of tech support ;-)

Whats more annoying is when you have just spread cream cheese on that last tasty bagel, get distracted for a moment and then turn to see your cat or dog licking the cream cheese from their lips :-0
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thankfully, our cat seems utterly disinterested in people food on the counter or table...even when that bagel has some lox on top of the cream cheese Smile

It's up to her staff, er, my partner and me, to make sure her dish is tended to first. She can be pretty insistent.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Regards,
Kent