Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

DSF files compressed with WavPack play back as "8/88.2"?
Hi there. I'm hoping for help with playing DSF files compressed using WavPack in Moode 5.3.1 on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with an Allo Boss DAC (PCM5122). 

I have a bunch of DSF files, which I compressed to wv files using WavPack. 
When I play back the wv files in Moode 5.3.1, it says the file type/resolution is WavePack 8/88.2

I have MPD audio settings set to:

Device type = I2S Device
Volume Control = Disable 
DSD over PCM = No
SoX Resampling = Disabled 

The uncompressed DSF files played as DSD 64 or DSD 128, etc. 
But those same files compressed to wv play back as 8/88.2k

Is that what should be happening? Or are they really playing back as 8-bit/88.2kHz sample rate PCM? 

--

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Why wavpack and not some more universal file type ?
What software did you use for conversion ?
----------
bob
If you ask mpd for a list of its decoder plugins (included in the output of mpd -V) you’ll see that .wv files are decoded by ffmpeg. The wavpack plugin is needed to get what you want.

But can the PCM5122 even playback DSD?

Regards,
Kent
(09-10-2023, 03:05 AM)rongon Wrote: Hi there. I'm hoping for help with playing DSF files compressed using WavPack in Moode 5.3.1 on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with an Allo Boss DAC (PCM5122). 

I have a bunch of DSF files, which I compressed to wv files using WavPack. 
When I play back the wv files in Moode 5.3.1, it says the file type/resolution is WavePack 8/88.2

I have MPD audio settings set to:

Device type = I2S Device
Volume Control = Disable 
DSD over PCM = No
SoX Resampling = Disabled 

The uncompressed DSF files played as DSD 64 or DSD 128, etc. 
But those same files compressed to wv play back as 8/88.2k

Is that what should be happening? Or are they really playing back as 8-bit/88.2kHz sample rate PCM? 

--

What does the Playback tab of Audio info show?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks for the replies!

Quote:What does the Playback tab of Audio info show?

Audio Info tab says:

Audio Information
INPUT PROCESSING
Source: USB/JAZZ_HDD/HD_JAZZ/Bill Evans/Bill Evans - Trio 64 (SHM SACD 2012) DSD64/02 - A Sleeping Bee.wv
Encoded at: DSD64, 1 bit, 2.822 mbps Stereo
Decoded to: PCM, 24 bit, 352.8 kHz, Stereo, 16.934 mbps
DSP OPERATIONS
Resampling: off
Crossfeed: off
Equalizer: Graphic EQ: (off), Parametric EQ: (off)
Crossfade: 0 seconds
Other: Volume normalize (no), Replaygain (off)
Chip options: Ringing-less low latency FIR, gain=0 dB, boost=0 dB
Volume ctl: Disabled (100% volume level is output by MPD)
OUTPUT STREAM
Destination: Local
Rate: 24 bit, 352.8 kHz, Stereo, 16.934 mbps
AUDIO DEVICE
Device: Allo Boss DAC
Chip: Burr Brown PCM5122
Interface: I2S

It looks like the PCM5122 can't play DSD 'natively', but it resamples to 24-bit/352.8kHz, which is OK by me. Does this mean the displayed resolution of 8/88.2 is in error? 

I googled "moode wavepack plugin" and didn't find anything.
Do I need to install a WavePack plugin if I'm running Moode 5.3.1? 
If yes, where can I find instructions for how to do that? 

Someone asked about Moode file format support back in 2017 and got this response: 
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threa...ts.312119/
It looks like wv is supported out of the box. 
Do I need to install a plugin? 

Thanks
My bad about the ffmpeg decoder plugin remark. As you say, the wavpack decoder plugin is also present in the mpd in moOde (rev 8.3.6, anyway). I was on my way out the door and didn't look carefully enough at the mpd -V output. (Note to self: don't do this on a smart phone!)

On my 64-bit moOde 8.3.6 player with Khadas Tone1 USB DAC, which can play DSD natively, I see the following Audio Information while playing a trrack from the samples you provided

Code:
INPUT / OUTPUT

Source SDCARD/1969 - In A Silent Way (1969, 2012 MFSL RM)/02. In A Silent Way-It's About That Time.wv
Encoded at DSD64, 1 bit, 2.822 MHz Stereo
Decoded to DSD bitstream, 5.645 Mbps
Output rate DSD bitstream, 5.645 Mbps
Output mode ALSA Default
Output chain MPD -> plughw -> Device

DSP OPERATIONS
Resample rate Off
Quality Off
Selective Off
CamillaDSP Off
Volume type Hardware (On-chip)

AUDIO DEVICE
Device Tone1
Mixer name Tone1
Interface USB
Formats S32_LE, SPECIAL, DSD_U32_BE
Platform Pi-4B 1.1 2GB

As yo reported, this is what's seen on the Playback screen under the album art

Code:
In A Silent Way • Jazz • Track 2 • 1969 • 8/88.2 kHz, WavPack

Won't be able to do more digging until later tonight.

Regards,
Kent
I think Audio info should prolly show the 8/88.2 mediainfo encoded at like under the album art instead of the MPD Format tag which is uses for DSD. It looks like MPD sees the WavPack format as DSD which is prolly correct??

Investigation needed.
Enjoy the Music!
Another little data point.

I took a couple of the albums of DSF files that I'd compressed into WavPack wv files, deleted them from my storage drive, then restored the original DSF files from backups.

When I play DSF files (uncompressed), the Playback screen under the album art says "DSD" (as in the attached).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-10-2023, 06:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I think Audio info should prolly show the 8/88.2 mediainfo encoded at like under the album art instead of the MPD Format tag  which is uses for DSD. It looks like MPD sees the WavPack format as DSD which is prolly correct??

Investigation needed.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. 

What exactly is encoded at 8-bits/88.2kHz resolution? 
Is that how WavPack stores the DSD data (1-bit/2.822MHz resolution) once compressed?
WavPack is a *lossless* compression format which supports DSD (or so I've been led to believe). 

As TheOldPresbyope posted, even though his Khadas DAC can play back DSD without transcoding to PCM, his Moode setup also displays "8/88.2 kHz" on the Playback screen. I have to think the DAC is not what is reporting the format name. 

If MPD correctly sees the DSF-compressed-to-WavPack as DSD, shouldn't it simply report "DSD" in the Playback screen under the album art?
(09-10-2023, 06:37 PM)rongon Wrote:
(09-10-2023, 06:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I think Audio info should prolly show the 8/88.2 mediainfo encoded at like under the album art instead of the MPD Format tag  which is uses for DSD. It looks like MPD sees the WavPack format as DSD which is prolly correct??

Investigation needed.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. 

What exactly is encoded at 8-bits/88.2kHz resolution? 
Is that how WavPack stores the DSD data (1-bit/2.822MHz resolution) once compressed?
WavPack is a *lossless* compression format which supports DSD (or so I've been led to believe). 

As TheOldPresbyope posted, even though his Khadas DAC can play back DSD without transcoding to PCM, his Moode setup also displays "8/88.2 kHz" on the Playback screen. I have to think the DAC is not what is reporting the format name. 

If MPD correctly sees the DSF-compressed-to-WavPack as DSD, shouldn't it simply report "DSD" in the Playback screen under the album art?

I'll have to first see why mediainfo reports 8/88.2 encoding for WavPack files and then go from there but in the end if MPD sees it as DSD format and this is in fact correct then DSD should be what should be displayed in Audio info and under the cover art.
Enjoy the Music!