Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 project
(10-24-2023, 10:00 PM)jonners Wrote: How many listeners can reliably identify reversed polarity? Not many I suspect. I can't hear it so I don't worry about it.

Yes, thank for pointing that out. I doubt that anyone could identify if a system is 180 degrees out of phase without a comparison to correct phase. It is very easy to invert phase with Moode, and correct the phase with the polarity inversion setting, so I recommend doing it. If you aren't using Moode, I highly recommend using it. I personally find that the recordings of acoustic music in halls that I listen to sound better and more realistic with correct polarity.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
Photo 
Just wanted to post a thank you to @hifinet for creating such a great project.

Had fun building one of the complete kits, super satisfied with the sound quality.

Picked up parts to build another, which is using a pair of the ERO polycarbonate caps.

Getting a bit of distortion in the right channel of build number two when signal levels are high. Wondering if I should play with different resistor values, or maybe try another 1387?
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the project. If the I/V resistor values are less than 430R, it should be good. I would recommend trying another TDA1387 module.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
(11-01-2023, 03:16 AM)hifinet Wrote: I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the project. If the I/V resistor values are less than 430R, it should be good. I would recommend trying another TDA1387 module.

Good to know, thanks! 

Yes, the 2575 resistors are 420R in both DACs.
Hello!
I finally finished my ProtoDAC build which consists of the following:
Raspi 3B
FiFoPiMa from Ian Canada
ProtoDAC with Parts from Mark (Thank you!)

The first problem I'm now running into is, that on the FiFoPiMa the the I2S LED is on but the Play LED is not...
Th I2S LED is on when I play a song and off when I stop. But the Play never lights.

This has something to do with Raps/Moode/FiFoPiMa, right? The DAC can't be the issue or is there something I'm overlooking?
UPDATE:

I'm sorry, I found the mistake. I had as a Device setting "ProtoDAC" but I needed to set "HifiBerry DAC+ PRO per Ian Canadas manual.

Now it is working and I have to say I'm completely blown away..
I basically followed the video from "Gabster" for the DAC build.

The only thing left to do is to try the other (red) Caps, Mark sent me with the resistors and maybe add the PurePi power supply if I'm feeling rich. I'm not sure though if my ears can hear a power supply :-)

(11-01-2023, 09:12 PM)kaffeereibn Wrote: UPDATE:

I'm sorry, I found the mistake. I had as a Device setting "ProtoDAC" but I needed to set "HifiBerry DAC+ PRO per Ian Canadas manual.

Now it is working and I have to say I'm completely blown away...

The only thing left to do is to try the other (red) Caps, Mark sent me with the resistors

Nice DIY :-)

Interesting regarding the I2S driver for the FifoPiMa. 
I'll add to the TODO list to include a "ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 (FifoPiMa)" that loads the HifiBerry Pro driver. That will make it easy.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-01-2023, 09:12 PM)kaffeereibn Wrote: UPDATE:

Now it is working and I have to say I'm completely blown away..
I basically followed the video from "Gabster" for the DAC build.

The only thing left to do is to try the other (red) Caps, Mark sent me with the resistors and maybe add the PurePi power supply if I'm feeling rich. I'm not sure though if my ears can hear a power supply :-)

Hi kaffeereibn and hi all,
Very nice built but  I have a question: interesting the shield but I am afraid about the termal dissipation. What is the cpu temperature?
You can use the command :

Code:
moodeutl -m

to monitor it.
Best regards,
Francesco
Quick question to the polarity setting in the audio settings:

If I enable that, since the ProtoDAC needs that setting it doesn't stick...
I can turn it on, but after refreshing the screen it is off again...
(11-03-2023, 09:36 AM)kaffeereibn Wrote: Quick question to the polarity setting in the audio settings:

If I enable that, since the ProtoDAC needs that setting it doesn't stick...
I can turn it on, but after refreshing the screen it is off again...

Try this fix.
https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread....8#pid49028
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub