Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 project
(03-07-2024, 07:36 AM)hlucas Wrote: Hi all,

After a long search, I acquired an Allo Kali and am really happy with the result.
My next project is integrating ProtoDAC with a USB to I2S board so that I can use it at my workplace. Please let me know if anyone has tried that.

Also, I upgraded Moode to the latest version and went through the settings. However, I couldn't find V2-ProtoDAC setting under CamillaDSP Signal processing menu. The CamillaDSP version is 2.0.1. But I am not sure about sample configs version. How can I check it?

Thanks

Scroll down to the File Management section in CamillaDSP Config. There is a button named UPDATE which will get you the V2 Sample configs.

Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-07-2024, 07:36 AM)hlucas Wrote: Hi all,

After a long search, I acquired an Allo Kali and am really happy with the result.
My next project is integrating ProtoDAC with a USB to I2S board so that I can use it at my workplace. Please let me know if anyone has tried that.

I haven't done USB directly to I2S (USB to SPDIF, SPDIF to I2S in my case), but it should be very straightforward. You can get high quality boards like the I2SoverUSB, with built-in galvanic isolation and low phase noise clock crystals. There are also cheaper Ali boards using various chipsets: CM6631A , STM32 , TE7022 , PCM2706 . Amanero is a search term to use. The better boards get to the price of the I2SoverUSB board. Max bit depth and sample rate varies. USB isolators are available: ADUM3160 or Topping .
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
Thank you @Tim Curtis @hifinet
Hi

Been working on some 5v lately, without any issues. Tried a lifePO4 with a LT1963 module, but that made a lot of noise. Sounded like an old radio….. also tried to bypass the Q7 with 5v from tip, also noisy.
What can it be that causes the noise? I’ve tried both 5v between the outputs and GPIO.
Still learning and won’t give up…
ProtoDAC, rpi4+, Decware se84+, klipsch rp600, Dynaudio xeo3,
 crown xls1502, B&W dm16, 
(03-12-2024, 09:55 AM)OnkelPH Wrote: Hi

Been working on some 5v lately, without any issues. Tried a lifePO4 with a LT1963 module, but that made a lot of noise. Sounded like an old radio….. also tried to bypass the Q7 with 5v from tip, also noisy.
What can it be that causes the noise? I’ve tried both 5v between the outputs and GPIO.

Sent a PM. Rather than go back and forth troubleshooting here. Usually problems in both channels, sounds like AM radio, etc are due to I2S problems. Bad solder joints to GPIO pins 12, 35, 40, resistors R1-R3 or module pins 1-3.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
(03-12-2024, 02:00 PM)hifinet Wrote:
(03-12-2024, 09:55 AM)OnkelPH Wrote: Hi

Sent a PM. Rather than go back and forth troubleshooting here. Usually problems in both channels, sounds like AM radio, etc are due to I2S problems. Bad solder joints to GPIO pins 12, 35, 40, resistors R1-R3 or module pins 1-3.

Thanks. I meant to say that the ProtoDAC on the rpi works fine. There’s no issue there. I do think there’s an issue with the psu. I’ll go over the solder joints.
ProtoDAC, rpi4+, Decware se84+, klipsch rp600, Dynaudio xeo3,
 crown xls1502, B&W dm16, 
Stunned..Stunned..Stunned.. and more Smile 
Mark, you are a wizard of the finest water !!

Back when you first posted your ProtoDac experiments I ordered the module and an Adafruit board-equivalent  hoping to have some time to build.
https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread....8#pid44718

Sadly, as often happens, life intervened..aged ailing parents and my energies were needed elsewhere.

Recently I thought to revive my exploration due to Tim's wholehearted support for your ProtoDac.
I ordered a full kit and it arrived today ! less than 14 days from USA to Lesser-nowhere-here Cool 

Meanwhile, being enthused again, I excavated the parts I had originally aquired and ferreted through the ratted parts box and found enough to assemble a ProtoDac (Lite?) whilst waiting...thought it would be good to have a baseline to compare the full kit to.

Assembled as per your wonderfully thorough instructions (did not test but checked as I went and powered on then configured)

and Stunned!  Magic and way more than expected for the basic build..Photo attached. (and full kit parts awaiting assembly photo)

A couple of Wima MKS 4.7 paralleled  with M-Cap 3.3 for approx 8 MFd output caps but otherwise just standard 1/4 watt 1% resistors and a couple of nichicon electrolytics

In am in awe of the sonics of your ProtoDac and all going well may have time this coming weekend to build the full version !

Many, many, thanks for your contribution to the MoOde Audio oeuvre and your continuing support.!!

All the very Best,
Bob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Bob,

I greatly appreciate your review. I think you will be even more impressed with the kit version and TX2575 resistors, which is a significant improvement from standard I/V resistors.
I am even more impressed ! Had a spare hour and built your kit...currently running in but ..WOW.:-)

I have not had so much fun since the analogue days... keep delving and playing from NAS and every one a gem...

When you add a new hardware and 'EVERY-ALBUM' is magically more "Live-Open-Detailed-Etc-Etc" and every other reviewer buzzword...but really really a great improvement and at the analogue metric this is unmatched :-)
Hardware: RPi 3B ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 Perreaux Shahinian Arc

Loving it so much !
Best of Nina Simone
Forbidden Fruit
Nina Simone
Fixin' to Die Blues
Bukka White
Lifeline
Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals
Greyhound Blues
D.A. Hunt
Equaliser ? with ProtoDac.

As the MoOde equalisers do not work in combo with polarity inversion  there must be some other alternative.

CamillaDSP ?  I've looked at the settings but find the complexity and multiple options overwhelming..where to start.

Looking at DIYaudio is even more obfuscated due to the impossible length and number of threads referencing CamillaDSP and searches there and here at MoOde don't appear to return anything useful.

I am trying to adjust for old tired hearing and age related frequency aberrations and have successfully used either the Graphic or PEQ equalisers in MoOde with other hardware but I am at a loss to find how to do this in CamillaDSP.

Presuming I need to add a filter ? somewhere..then how to adjust the response bands ..
If someone can flip me a link/hint/ or even a tutorial I would be most grateful. Wink

EDIT found a filter >biquad combo with subfilter> Equaliser (5 band ) and added to pipeline...next step is to figure out how to save and apply then find the method to add additionl bands

Edit2 found the save/apply and how to add bands. All good now.