Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Pi4b -> Schiit Mimby via USB. Can I do better?
Interesting. I was going to post something similar and then I saw this thread. I just tried my 2 year old Modi with a pi 3B+ that normally drives a Hifiberry Digi+. I used a recording that has been problematic, Fretwork doing a William Byrd compilation as a test. Viols can sound weird and vary a lot depending on your playback equipment. Not very scientific because I can't set up real time switching but I think I liked the external DAC better. For me there's a logistical problem because I use the USB input on the Modi for watching video on my tablet. What are the problems with the Modi USB?

[quote=
Hi All,
I have a RPi4b feeding my Schiit Modi Multibit (latest) via USB and, for the most part, it sounds pretty good.. a lot better than my receiver’s upnp and internal DAC. Though, given the grief that the Mimby’s USB interface gets, I wonder how much better a SPDIF HAT would sound instead. Has anyone here got a suggestion for me? I don’t want to spend too much money fixing the USB problem with the Mimby, since at some point it becomes more cost-effective to just buy a new DAC. Would I see a great improvement buying the Hifiberry DIGI+ PRO for $40. Anyway, I can’t see that it makes sense to invest too much on the transport side of things, thinking about how well newer dacs have implemented USB inputs, but just curious whether I could see a nice leap in performance with a decent SPDIF HAT. Thoughts? Anyone with such experience with the RPi4 and the Gen 2 Schiit USBs? 

Thanks!
[/quote]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pi4b -> Schiit Mimby via USB. Can I do better? - by nosferatu_cat - 08-09-2020, 09:07 PM