Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

DSF files compressed with WavPack play back as "8/88.2"?
(09-10-2023, 06:37 PM)rongon Wrote:
(09-10-2023, 06:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I think Audio info should prolly show the 8/88.2 mediainfo encoded at like under the album art instead of the MPD Format tag  which is uses for DSD. It looks like MPD sees the WavPack format as DSD which is prolly correct??

Investigation needed.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. 

What exactly is encoded at 8-bits/88.2kHz resolution? 
Is that how WavPack stores the DSD data (1-bit/2.822MHz resolution) once compressed?
WavPack is a *lossless* compression format which supports DSD (or so I've been led to believe). 

As TheOldPresbyope posted, even though his Khadas DAC can play back DSD without transcoding to PCM, his Moode setup also displays "8/88.2 kHz" on the Playback screen. I have to think the DAC is not what is reporting the format name. 

If MPD correctly sees the DSF-compressed-to-WavPack as DSD, shouldn't it simply report "DSD" in the Playback screen under the album art?

I'll have to first see why mediainfo reports 8/88.2 encoding for WavPack files and then go from there but in the end if MPD sees it as DSD format and this is in fact correct then DSD should be what should be displayed in Audio info and under the cover art.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub

Messages In This Thread
RE: DSF files compressed with WavPack play back as "8/88.2"? - by Tim Curtis - 09-10-2023, 08:56 PM