Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

pydPiper python program for displays
Just wondering, anyone using pydPiper on moOde? 
I have RaspDAC which has 16x2 White HD44780 OLED display. Would be great to make this working 
<marquee behavior="alternate" scrolldelay=150
~~~~>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<~~~~

</marquee>
(04-28-2018, 11:48 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: Just wondering, anyone using pydPiper on moOde? 
I have RaspDAC which has 16x2 White HD44780 OLED display. Would be great to make this working 

Hi. I also have a 16x2 oled and I tried to have it work with pydpiper, but it does not. And it seems to me that apart from the creator of the script (dhrone) nobody have managed to install it successfully. In other forums people have asked dhrone to help but he does not. I think we should just forget about it.
Remy
(04-30-2018, 02:46 PM)remy1961 Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 11:48 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: Just wondering, anyone using pydPiper on moOde? 

Hi. I also have a 16x2 oled and I tried to have it work with pydpiper, but it does not. And it seems to me that apart from the creator of the script (dhrone) nobody have managed to install it successfully. In other forums people have asked dhrone to help but he does not. I think we should just forget about it.
Remy

Def not Smile will keep trying and searching until I find how to make it work Tongue

</marquee>
(04-30-2018, 04:35 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:
(04-30-2018, 02:46 PM)remy1961 Wrote:

Remy

Def not Smile will keep trying and searching until I find how to make it work Tongue

Putting it inside a Docker container certainly sets it apart from the usual add-on. You guys have almost convinced me to dig up a display (there must be an old HD44780 display around here somewhere) so I can play too. Rolleyes

Regards,
Kent
Looks like I may have some progress here  Tongue Cool

[Image: fJQbCx.jpg]

</marquee>
To early for excitement Rolleyes 
System wont boot anymore after reboot. 

Maybe some clue in syslog or  pydPiper.log ? Huh Blush

</marquee>
(04-30-2018, 06:38 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: To early for excitement Rolleyes 
System wont boot anymore after reboot. 

Maybe some clue in syslog or  pydPiper.log ? Huh Blush

Right now I'm trying to remember what little I used to know about the behavior of Docker containers, so I'm not ready to say why your system won't reboot.

Looking at your logs, though, they mostly consist of a repetitive error message (which makes it hard to see if anything else is going on):
Code:
Apr 30 13:58:55 moode docker[23347]: localhost:3000/socket.io [engine.io waiting for connection] HTTPConnectionPool(host='localhost', port=3000): Max retries exceeded with url: /socket.io/?EIO=3&transport=polling&t=1525111135721-0 (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x1318530>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused',))

So, a socket.io server isn't listening on port 3000 on the host. Indeed, there is no listener on port 3000 in the moOde 4.1 system I'm looking at nor is Node.JS even installed (socket.io is a Node.JS module).

Oh, wait, It looks like most of the testing of pydPiper was done on Volumio. The client/server architecture in Volumio2 depends on the WebSockets API provided by socket.io. Not so with moOde.

At a glance, it appears your instance of pydPiper is using pydPiper/sources/musicdata_volumio2.py. Try configuring it for musicdata_mpd.py instead (it's already configured for the default port 6600 that mpd is listening to in moOde). With some study of existing pydPiper and moOde sources, you could write a new musicdata_moode.py, but let's go for the easy win first!. 

I see there is a pydPiper/pages_fixed_moode.py file but its contents deal with the display of data not the acquisition of it. Seems like half a loaf, to quote my grandmother.

Again, I haven't addressed your system's inability to reboot, but this should get rid of that repetitive error message and allow the acquisition of real data for your display.

No promises, but I'm hoping to spin up pydPiper later this week. I don't have a suitable display module yet but I want to revisit Docker in preparation for another project. Besides, I'd like to have a digital display now that I've given up on re-purposing an old 7" Android tablet as a local GUI Blush  This way I can learn and do at the same time.

Regards,
Kent
It turn out that no boot was caused bu the corrupted card. Using a different card system reboot with no problems.
But all I can see on the display is the STOP from the photo I posted earlier.

I will have a look into your suggestions @TheOldPresbyope

thx

</marquee>
OK, so I have tried the suggestions but no help

But now I have tried to install latest Volumio, which on the pydPiper suppose to be working on, to find it does not.
Exactly same behaviour as on the moOde, just the 'STOP' is constantly displayed

</marquee>
(05-02-2018, 10:15 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: OK, so I have tried the suggestions but no help

But now I have tried to install latest Volumio, which on the pydPiper suppose to be working on, to find it does not.
Exactly same behaviour as on the moOde, just the 'STOP' is constantly displayed

Did you use the file pydpiper.service with only an edit to choose/configure the correct ExecStart line? I just noticed the file's header section
Code:
[Unit]
Description=pydPiper container
Requires=docker.service
After=volumio.service

Presumably your installation enabled and started docker.service (mine did) but there is no volumio.service in moOde.

I've been installing step-by-step so I understand what's going on. There's volumio-isms like the one above and also differences between what I see in the github dhrone/pydPiper (master) repo and what's in the dhrone/pydpiper-v0.31-alpha docker image. The repo README.md, for example, is more descriptive of the image and hasn't completely caught up with the repo. Stay tuned.

So far, I have the latest Docker installed (not what you get if you use the repo's install_docker.sh) and running the pydpiper docker image in a container. That's working fine (essentially it's a cut-down raspbian wheezy running on the host kernel which right now is 4.14.32-v7+). I haven't gotten to running pydPiper as a service in moOde. [Bear with me and my shifting camel case; I'm trying to be consistent with the naming convention of the author.]

It turns out I was overly optimistic earlier. I don't have an OLED or LCD display in my motley parts collection, so my plan is to test pydPiper in moOde using curses (e.g., the terminal) as my display. I got the hint from the existence of the file pydPiper/displays/lcd-curses.py

Of course, you may well get across the goal line before me.

Regards,
Kent

Amendment: I may have caused some confusion here. Turns out the master-branch README.md on the github site specifies downloading an archived version of pydPiper, v0.3-alpha.tar.gz. The install.sh in this version does install the latest Docker engine. Consistent with Step 2 in the README.md, the pydpiper.service file specifies the docker image dhrone/pydpiper:latest which differs from dhrome/pydpiper:v0.31-alpha. It's not clear what version the tag "latest" refers to but some of the file dates in that image are earlier than in v0.31-alpha. To quote Walter Scott, "oh what tangled webs we weave...."