Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Airplay disconnecting and disappearing?
Hello,

I recently built moOde 4.1 using this link - http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=146 with the help of other moOde enthusiasts. I've been enjoying RPi3b+ (powered by 5V/2.5A supply)/moOde 4.1/Topping D30 DAC (self powered) for the past month. The only problem is, I can't get Airplay to work. 

After booting or rebooting, my iPhone 6s/iPad mini (first gen)/iPad 2017/Mackbook mid 2012 will detect a moOde Airplay icon but within 10-15 secs of connecting (no audio yet) it will disconnect and the icon disappears. Music will only plays on the devices not through the RPi. The only way to restore the moOde Airplay icon is to restart it in config but the same frustrating cycle of disconnection persists.

To make sure it wasn't a problem with my build I tried a friend's moOde 4.1 build which he has confirmed to have a working Airplay in his environment. This did not work either. To make sure it is not a USB DAC issue, I tried 2 other USB DACs - AQ Dragonfly Black and XtremPro X1. I even "self-powered" these 2 DACs with a 2 port USB hub extender, still no success.

I don't know if it is my router or LAN because I can Airplay on Volumio. However moOde sounds better to my ears and want to make this my main music player.

The only time I was able to make Airplay work on moOde 4.1 was through the built-in 3.5mm audio out with nothing connected to the USB ports. 

I'm a novice when it comes to computers.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

JE
To troubleshoot its necessary to first determine if WiFi issue.

- Connect the Pi via Ethernet to your Router
- Configure, Network and set wlan0 SSID to 'blank' then APPLY
- Reboot

Note that AP mode will not be activated when connected via Ethernet.

Run some Airplay tests and post back results. If it fails over Ethernet then there is a procedure for running the Airplay receiver in debug mode which can sometimes show where the problem is.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply!

I did everything you requested above. 

With the SD card I built, none of my iOS devices and the Mac Book could detect moOde Airplay with the RPi connected via ethernet. However with the SD card built by my friend, the Airplay icon is visible initially but once I try to connect an iOS device or the laptop, it will disconnect just like in my original query.

Please let me know how to proceed with the debug mode. I hope this will be within my abilities.

Thanks again!
1) Configure, System, SET Debug logging ON
2) Menu, Audio, SET Airplay OFF, then SET back ON, then SET back OFF
3) Menu, System, SET Debug logging OFF
4) cat /var/log/moode.log

Look for the shairport-sync launch string. It will be something like the example below:

Code:
20180610 095525 worker: (/usr/local/bin/shairport-sync -a "RP3 Airplay" -S soxr -w -B /var/local/www/commandw/spspre.sh -E /var/local/www/commandw/spspost.sh -- -d hw:0 -c "Master" > /dev/null 2>&1 &)

5) Run the launch string with debug logging (-vv) and without the > redirection. Like example below.

Code:
sudo /usr/local/bin/shairport-sync -vv -a "RP3 Airplay" -S soxr -w -B /var/local/www/commandw/spspre.sh -E /var/local/www/commandw/spspost.sh -- -d hw:0 -c "Master"

It will print debug infomation to the console that you can post back to this thread. I'll have a look.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I was able to do steps 1-3.

I don't know how to do 4-5, sorry.

But I was able to get this string from moode log via system info:

20180610 154936 worker: (/usr/local/bin/shairport-sync -a "Moode Airplay" -S soxr -w -B /var/local/www/commandw/spspre.sh -E /var/local/www/commandw/spspost.sh -- -d hw:1 -c "PCM" > /dev/null 2>&1 &)

I don't know if this is what you need.
Hi moOde fans,
 :@
This is the closest I could find (looks like what I pasted earlier) doing step 4, thanks to @JST1963
20180610 154936 worker: (/usr/local/bin/shairport-sync -a "Moode Airplay" -S soxr -w -B /var/local/www/commandw/spspre.sh -E /var/local/www/commandw/spspost.sh -- -d hw:1 -c "PCM" > /dev/null 2>&1 &)

I can't figure out how to do step 5.

Thanks for your patience!
Hi moOde fans,
Thanks again @JST1963!

Here's what I got after typing this - sudo /usr/local/bin/shairport-sync -vv -a "RP3 Airplay" -S soxr -w -B /var/local/www/commandw/spspre.sh -E /var/local/www/commandw/spspost.sh -- -d hw:0 -c "Master"

[Image: Screen%2BShot%2B2018-06-11%2Bat%2B11.15.30%2BAM.jpg]
Hi moOde fans,