Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

WiFi signal strength
(03-07-2023, 11:09 PM)Venerdi Wrote: ...
Basically, I see two pairs of SSIDs with the exact same name, so since there is no signal strength indicator next to the SSID name, I could actually choose the one with the weakest signal as well.

Sorry my explanation was so involved but, in short, what you wrote is not what is happening.

Let's say the SSID you use is "olla" so you see four instances of "olla" in the scan results. No matter which instance you select, you are telling Linux (via moOde code) simply to connect to an AP with SSID "olla". Linux chooses which of the 4 APs to connect to.

Typically the AP chosen by Linux is the one with the greatest signal strength.

For example, I have a dual-mode router with both a 2.4GHz AP and a 5GHz AP with the same SSID. Here's an edited version of what Linux detects (on a Pi3B+ which has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi transceivers but which is connected my LAN via Ethernet)

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ sudo iwlist wlan0 scanning
wlan0     Scan completed :
         Cell 01 - Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
                   Channel:44
                   Frequency:5.22 GHz (Channel 44)
                   Quality=70/70  Signal level=-37 dBm  
                   Encryption key:on
                   ESSID:"MYAP"
...many lines deleted...
          Cell 12 - Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:YY
                    Channel:6
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Quality=70/70  Signal level=-38 dBm  
                    Encryption key:on
                    ESSID:"MYAP"
 ...many more lines deleted...
...18 cells visible in total...

Here, each "Cell" represents an AP, "Address" is the same as the BSSID I mentioned before. (I've changed the actual values) and "ESSID" is the same as the SSID I mentioned before (Again, I've changed the name).

You can look up how signal level (=strength) is measured, but -37 dBm is stronger that -38 dBm.

You can run the same command from the command line of your moOde player to see these numbers for your 4 APs but your WiFi interface must not be in use. The Quality numbers are more important than the Signal level. There's information available on the InterWeb™ about this.

Regards,
Kent

PS - I'm using layman's terms in this discussion. For example, formally, "connect to" is actually "associate with"; "Cell" could represent ah-hoc cells of peers; and there's more. Let's keep it simple.
PS

Once your moOde player is connected to an AP you can examine the details to see which AP was chosen by Linux.

For example, on a different one of my players

Code:
pi@m825p3a:~ $ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"MYAP"  
         Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.22 GHz  Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX  
         Bit Rate=433.3 Mb/s   Tx-Power=31 dBm  
         Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality=69/70  Signal level=-41 dBm  
         Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
         Tx excessive retries:600  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

where here "wlan0" is the WiFi interface being used by Linux, the "ESSID" is as before and the "Access Point" value is the BSSID.

It's important to know that signal level values are not absolute. Different Pi models and different environments can yield somewhat different results.

Regards,
Kent
I have now found an inelegant solution, but it works fine and the connection is stable.
I connected the Raspberry to the repeater with a LAN cable (it has a LAN output). MoOde thinks it's a cable connection and I'm sure I'm getting the signal from the Repeater and not the 1260E

(03-08-2023, 03:15 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: A passing thought,  There is an option in the Fritz menu>Home Networking>device Name to change the name of each Fritz device to make them more easily identified in the network.

I don't believe this would affect the mesh SSID being the same but may allow you to use Fing on your android device to identify the repeater vs the master ?

Then, knowing the source devices and knowing the stronger signal (from info on other devices) you could choose the SSID that applies. ?

note--- that there may be breakage to other already setups and you may have to reconfigure them. See the warning in the Fritz Menu when changing device names.

Yes, there is this option; you are right about everything you wrote, but………………
That's exactly what I did at the beginning and I solved the problem with MoOde, but a lot of problems arose with my IPCams that had previously connected automatically with the repeater. I could no longer reach them to change the network configuration. So I had to discard this option.
That would have been a solvable problem; I had to take one IPCam at a time and change the configuration using a Lan cable. I don't know if you have experience with IPCams… their connection is never completely stable… Sometimes you have to do a reset.. and it's good they are all on an SSID with the same name.

(03-08-2023, 07:49 AM)Falco Wrote: Hi, i looked up the 1260E but that's a power line adapter? So there's another main router somewhere?
https://en.avm.de/products/mesh-wi-fi/fr...-wlan-set/

Can you activate the mesh functionality on it? As you should only see one network then, and when you connect with it should automatically be the strongest signal.

And just another thought, when you connect MoOde in the current setup, do you actually suffer from poor connection issues?

The 1260E is a powerline terminal that has a LAN port and a wireless "out".
My modem router is not AVM-Fritz!, so I can't create a mesh network. To explain… the wireless of my modem router is disabled, because it is in the very far corner of the house and too close to my head when I use the PC (I don't want to fry my brain Confused ). For this reason, the 1260E receives the signal via powerline and is placed in the center of my house. The repeater has the purpose of bringing the signal to the opposite area of the house, where there is the Raspberry with MoOde, the TV, the satellite decoder, and some cameras.
Regarding connection problems, I have them if I use the powerline (my electrical system is old); I have them occasionally with WiFi (without repeater)

(03-08-2023, 01:42 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Sorry my explanation was so involved but, in short, what you wrote is not what is happening.
Let's say the SSID you use is "olla" so you see four instances of "olla" in the scan results. No matter which instance you select, you are telling Linux (via moOde code) simply to connect to an AP with SSID "olla". Linux chooses which of the 4 APs to connect to.
PS - I'm using layman's terms in this discussion. For example, formally, "connect to" is actually "associate with"; "Cell" could represent ah-hoc cells of peers; and there's more. Let's keep it simple.

You do not have to apologise. I really appreciate your attempts to explain and help me (you, like Tim and everyone, are always very kind and helpful), but when you use the Linux term or write pieces of code, I am not able to follow you.
A curiosity.... You used the term "olla".... What is this?
Here, in Italy, "olla" is a brand of condoms Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(03-08-2023, 02:23 PM)Venerdi Wrote: I have now found an inelegant solution, but it works fine and the connection is stable.
I connected the Raspberry to the repeater with a LAN cable (it has a LAN output). MoOde thinks it's a cable connection and I'm sure I'm getting the signal from the Repeater and not the 1260E

(03-08-2023, 03:15 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: A passing thought,  There is an option in the Fritz menu>Home Networking>device Name to change the name of each Fritz device to make them more easily identified in the network.

I don't believe this would affect the mesh SSID being the same but may allow you to use Fing on your android device to identify the repeater vs the master ?

Then, knowing the source devices and knowing the stronger signal (from info on other devices) you could choose the SSID that applies. ?

note--- that there may be breakage to other already setups and you may have to reconfigure them. See the warning in the Fritz Menu when changing device names.

Yes, there is this option; you are right about everything you wrote, but………………
That's exactly what I did at the beginning and I solved the problem with MoOde, but a lot of problems arose with my IPCams that had previously connected automatically with the repeater. I could no longer reach them to change the network configuration. So I had to discard this option.
That would have been a solvable problem; I had to take one IPCam at a time and change the configuration using a Lan cable. I don't know if you have experience with IPCams… their connection is never completely stable… Sometimes you have to do a reset.. and it's good they are all on an SSID with the same name.

(03-08-2023, 07:49 AM)Falco Wrote: Hi, i looked up the 1260E but that's a power line adapter? So there's another main router somewhere?
https://en.avm.de/products/mesh-wi-fi/fr...-wlan-set/

Can you activate the mesh functionality on it? As you should only see one network then, and when you connect with it should automatically be the strongest signal.

And just another thought, when you connect MoOde in the current setup, do you actually suffer from poor connection issues?

The 1260E is a powerline terminal that has a LAN port and a wireless "out".
My modem router is not AVM-Fritz!, so I can't create a mesh network. To explain… the wireless of my modem router is disabled, because it is in the very far corner of the house and too close to my head when I use the PC (I don't want to fry my brain Confused ). For this reason, the 1260E receives the signal via powerline and is placed in the center of my house. The repeater has the purpose of bringing the signal to the opposite area of the house, where there is the Raspberry with MoOde, the TV, the satellite decoder, and some cameras.
Regarding connection problems, I have them if I use the powerline (my electrical system is old); I have them occasionally with WiFi (without repeater)

(03-08-2023, 01:42 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Sorry my explanation was so involved but, in short, what you wrote is not what is happening.

You do not have to apologise. I really appreciate your attempts to explain and help me (you, like Tim and everyone, are always very kind and helpful), but when you use the Linux term or write pieces of code, I am not able to follow you.
A curiosity.... You used the term "olla".... What is this?
Here, in Italy, "olla" is a brand of condoms Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

LOL, thats a good one!

Maybe he meant Voilla ?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
This is why auto companies spend so much money researching names for new cars so they don't accidentally offend one part of the world or another! And they still get it wrong sometimes....

Now there's something I know how to order in Italy besides Peroni.

ETA - Oh, and in New Mexico where I spent some time growing up, an olla is a earthenware pot used in some Pueblos.

Regards,
Kent
(03-08-2023, 02:35 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: This is why auto companies spend so much money researching names for new cars so they don't accidentally offend one part of the world or another! And they still get it wrong sometimes....
Now there's something I know how to order in Italy besides Peroni.
ETA - Oh, and in New Mexico where I spent some time growing up, an olla is a earthenware pot used in some Pueblos.
Regards,
Kent

@Kent
You are great! Wink

@Tim
...have you seen how many things can be learned in this forum? Shy

Thanks for all Smile