Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 project
Raspberry Pi GPIO pin assignments are standardized and digital. The general purpose IO pins are digital. 

Manual

P1 on the Pi-AMP+ has the analog inputs. Can't make out the pin assignments in the photo.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
I've just built the kit today and I was pretty impressed with how it performs. The simplicity of this one is brilliant and outperforms a lot of other DAC's when you compare the cost - I want to keep working on integrating this into an AIO box together with some other fun stuff.
Photo 
And here we are with the complete setup Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sweet!
What are the components in the stack?
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
(10-07-2023, 08:46 PM)hifinet Wrote: What are the components in the stack?

I used the standard components that were mentioned in the builders guide on GitHUB:

Order from Hificollective:
2x 430R 0.4W Charcroft Z-Foil Resistor
2x 430R 0.25W TAKMAN Carbon Film Resistor (for the I2S signal)
2x Low cost high quality Right angled gold plated RCA sockets (pair)

From Mouser:
2x Wima 6.8uF MKP4F046807D00JSSD

From Farnell:
2x PANASONIC  EEUFR1A102LB  Electrolytic Capacitor, 1000 µF, 10 V, ± 20%

And the chip itself came from Ebay - don't know the supplier. Same with the PCB's - I have a few of those.

I also bought the GPIO and standoffs from a local RPi4 supplier here in Norway.

The other components in the stack is bought from audiophonics.fr which is a european supplier of Ian Canada stuff.
There is a battery powersupply; IAN CANADA PUREPI Ultracapacitor / Batteries Dual Power Supply Module for Raspberry Pi 5V / 3.3V
And then there's a reclocker; IAN CANADA FIFOPI Q7 Synchronous FIFO Reclocker Board I2S 32bit 768kHz DSD1024 DoP256
And finally the display;  IAN CANADA MONITORPI OLED Screen and Signal Analyzer Board for Raspberry Pi (just for the cool looks of it  Cool )

All in all this is a cheap setup and it really gives some bang for the bucks Smile

I should really also give some credits til Gabster on his youtube.com channel for inspiring me here, and to my brother as well who found out about this kit!
One thing I noticed about this kit that when you start to play a song it produces a 'click' noise in the speakers (not a big deal) - but is it possible to dampen that sound a bit with some more components or some other clever solution?
I have simpler setup with RPi, Allo Kali and ProtoDAC. Usually silent at start and end of tracks. Rarely a tic at the end of a track. I'm not sure what is causing it with your setup.
(10-10-2023, 09:13 PM)hifinet Wrote: I have simpler setup with RPi, Allo Kali and ProtoDAC. Usually silent at start and end of tracks. Rarely a tic at the end of a track. I'm not sure what is causing it with your setup.

I have the same at the song starts, never after. It's very soft, not obnoxious, and subsequent songs in the same album, even if I jump to them are quiet, beginning to end. In my case it may come from changing input resolutions. I use SoX, and my moode setting honors the resolution 'family' (44.1 khz or 48 khz) when upsampling to 4fs. always pops on the first song of a session.
(10-10-2023, 06:02 PM)Ludomaniac Wrote: One thing I noticed about this kit that when you start to play a song it produces a 'click' noise in the speakers (not a big deal) - but is it possible to dampen that sound a bit with some more components or some other clever solution?

I have the same hardware stack as @hifinet and similarly only a vary rare audio start tic. I also get these rare anomalies on other audio devices which would suggest that it's not necessarily unique to ProtoDAC.

Try removing the Q7 and connecting the ProtoDAC directly to the Pi.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub