Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 project
I got my first ProtoDAC built this week and have to say I'm super impressed. The improved soundstage and clarity are immediately apparent. I was previously using a GeekWorm X400 V3.0. My setup is simply an rPi4 + ProtoDAC at this point. I think my next steps are 1) look at a Pi Zero WH implementation, 2) a re-clocker, 3) better power supply.

Much thanks to @hifinet, @Tim Curtis, and the many contributors on this forum. I spent far more time lurking and researching than it took to build.

[My build experience]
I have no experience with component soldering, so I spent a few weeks with practice kits and got the feel for it. After assembly, I immediately knew I had something wrong. I got a ton of feedback/static and barely any sound. I figured I had a cold solder joint somewhere. I spent hours re-checking and re-flowing various connections to no avail. I had a few beers and went to bed. The next morning I re-read the build instructions and voila. When connecting the module, I forgot the module diagram was top-view and I had inverted some of the pins soldered (I purposely had soldered more pins for structural strength, but not all). I am probably lucky nothing fried since I didn't have GND soldered (although I was testing with cheap desktop active speakers). Note: the installation of the C3,C4 electrolytic capacitors is missing from the assembly instructions. No biggie as it's obvious.

This is so much fun, I can't wait to do more!
(02-23-2024, 03:24 PM)eDad2003 Wrote: I got my first ProtoDAC built this week and have to say I'm super impressed. The improved soundstage and clarity are immediately apparent. I was previously using a GeekWorm X400 V3.0. My setup is simply an rPi4 + ProtoDAC at this point. I think my next steps are 1) look at a Pi Zero WH implementation, 2) a re-clocker, 3) better power supply.

Much thanks to @hifinet, @Tim Curtis, and the many contributors on this forum. I spent far more time lurking and researching than it took to build.

[My build experience]
I have no experience with component soldering, so I spent a few weeks with practice kits and got the feel for it. After assembly, I immediately knew I had something wrong. I got a ton of feedback/static and barely any sound. I figured I had a cold solder joint somewhere. I spent hours re-checking and re-flowing various connections to no avail. I had a few beers and went to bed. The next morning I re-read the build instructions and voila. When connecting the module, I forgot the module diagram was top-view and I had inverted some of the pins soldered (I purposely had soldered more pins for structural strength, but not all). I am probably lucky nothing fried since I didn't have GND soldered (although I was testing with cheap desktop active speakers). Note: the installation of the C3,C4 electrolytic capacitors is missing from the assembly instructions. No biggie as it's obvious.

Re "Note: the installation of the C3,C4 electrolytic capacitors is missing from the assembly instructions."

Indeed there is no assy instruction for them.

@hifinet, when u get a moment send me a step for C3/C4 install and and I'll. update the doc.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(02-23-2024, 10:57 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Which model WiFi adapter?

@Tim Curtis i bought this simple one since it is based on 5730 chipset that works out of the box. I gotta say its not the greatest since I only get 25 - 30 Mbps on it in my room but gets the job done. The Moode UI loadtime is longer and not snappy which I can live with. I think once the Moode Kernel gets to Linux 6.2 version there is a lot more wifi adapter options available because of compatibility with in-kernel drivers. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHW6T96R?psc...ct_details 

I also ordered this dual band adapter from aliexpress because it was on the recommended list for plug n play. If this works better, I'll return the other one above.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805749323751.html?
(02-23-2024, 04:27 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 03:24 PM)eDad2003 Wrote: I got my first ProtoDAC built this week and have to say I'm super impressed. The improved soundstage and clarity are immediately apparent. I was previously using a GeekWorm X400 V3.0. My setup is simply an rPi4 + ProtoDAC at this point. I think my next steps are 1) look at a Pi Zero WH implementation, 2) a re-clocker, 3) better power supply.

[My build experience]

Re "Note: the installation of the C3,C4 electrolytic capacitors is missing from the assembly instructions."

Indeed there is no assy instruction for them.

@hifinet, when u get a moment send me a step for C3/C4 install and and I'll. update the doc.

Assembly section updated :-)
Enjoy the Music!
(02-23-2024, 04:36 PM)varunach Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 10:57 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Which model WiFi adapter?

@Tim Curtis i bought this simple one since it is based on 5730 chipset that works out of the box. I gotta say its not the greatest since I only get 25 - 30 Mbps on it in my room but gets the job done. The Moode UI loadtime is longer and not snappy which I can live with. I think once the Moode Kernel gets to Linux 6.2 version there is a lot more wifi adapter options available because of compatibility with in-kernel drivers. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHW6T96R?psc...ct_details 

I also ordered this dual band adapter from aliexpress because it was on the recommended list for plug n play. If this works better, I'll return the other one above.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805749323751.html?

Thx.

It looks like the Pi kernel devs have switched to the 6.5 branch so I assume that it will be used for the next kernel bump for Bookworm.
Enjoy the Music!
Thanks Tim.

Regarding reclockers, a budget option is the Hifiberry DIGI2 Pro. It is primarily an SPDIF board, but it will reclock the I2S signals on the GPIO. I have no personal experience, but others have reported good results. Other than that, the only option in a HAT reclocker are the Ian Canada reclockers.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
(02-23-2024, 05:14 PM)hifinet Wrote: Thanks Tim.

Regarding reclockers, a budget option is the Hifiberry DIGI2 Pro. It is primarily an SPDIF board, but it will reclock the I2S signals on the GPIO. I have no personal experience, but others have reported good results. Other than that, the only option in a HAT reclocker are the Ian Canada reclockers.

I'd highly recommend IanCanada reclockers especially FifiPi Q7, it has a bunch of nice features - 1) Delay buffer 2) DOP/DSD decoder 3) High quality Accusilicon clocks that can be further upgraded if desired etc
Moode has a RAM buffer for MPD. Moode converts DSD to PCM. Easy changing of the clocks is an advantage.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
@Tim Curtis the capture device and playback device 'sample rate' settings in Camilla DSP is not sticking. For ProtoDAC it looks like we need to set this to S16LE, but even after saving to file, everytime after a reboot it reverts to S24LE. Is this expected?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thats just a default value. When CamillaDSP is running it's being fed by a custom ALSA I-O plugin named alsa_cdsp.
https://github.com/scripple/alsa_cdsp

This plugin specifies the source audio format on the command line when it starts/restarts CamillaDSP.

Like below.

MPD -> alsa_cdsp -> CamillaDSP -> ALSA -> device
Enjoy the Music!