Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Upcoming moOde 9.0.0 (Bookworm)
Well, true, Tim hasn't pushed an official 9.0 test image to the test team but I have been building my own on a Pi 5 as he pushes commits to the repo. The build host is now running kernel 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-2712 (as identified by uname -r) and so is the moOde image. 

Here's the start of what moOde outputs when I open a terminal.

Code:
Host:  m900test
RPiOS: 12.5 Bookworm 64-bit | Linux: 6.6.20 64-bit
Model: Pi-5B 4GB
Audio: Tone1

m o O d e   a u d i o   p l a y e r

Release 9.0.0 2024-MM-DD
               (C) 2014 Tim Curtis

It's happily playing tracks through my USB DAC.  There may turn out to be gotchas due to kernel 6.6 but I haven't run into any.

Regards,
Kent
Theres a bit more audio fun in Bookworm. On a Pi5 with an I2S HAT the HDMI 1 port is still assigned a card id by ALSA :-0

In Bullseye (< pi5) there would only be the I2S device at card 0 and no other ALSA cards thus the code assumed card always = 0 for I2S devices but as you can see in the example below on Pi5 the I2S device is at card 1.

Code:
pi@moode-test1:~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: vc4hdmi1 [vc4-hdmi-1], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: BossDAC [BossDAC], device 0: Boss DAC HiFi [Master] pcm512x-hifi-0 [Boss DAC HiFi [Master] pcm512x-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
pi@moode-test1:~ $

Whats even more "exciting" is that after a reboot the card assignments can be reversed with the I2S device assigned to card 0 and HDMI 1 assigned to card 1.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Here's the latest WIP release notes.

What's new is the addition of a full WiFi Hotspot. Thats a private WiFi network fully bridged to an Ethernet connection if one is present.

The port to Bookworm including updates to support PHP8, IEC958 Audio and vastly simplified Networking is mostly complete but only minimal testing has been done so far. Timing for general availability release is still Q2 2024 and there may be a beta release sometime this month.

Code:
################################################################################
#
# 2024-MM-DD moOde 9.0.0 (Bookworm)
#
################################################################################

New features

- NEW: HDMI/IEC958 audio format including multichannel
- NEW: WiFi Hotspot

Updates

- UPD: Improve (i) help for some items
- UPD: CamillaDSP V2 sample configs and coeffs
- UPD: HDMI On/Off option removed (not valid on Bookworm)

Bug fixes

- FIX: MusicBrainz date format (with hyphens) not being parsed
Enjoy the Music!
maybe https://github.com/moode-player/moode/issues/584 is a good candidate, as we seeing work is needed in that area?
(03-15-2024, 12:39 PM)tomaxsas Wrote: maybe https://github.com/moode-player/moode/issues/584 is a good candidate, as we seeing work is needed in that area?

Yes, definitely but not for the initial 9.0.0 release because the main goal of the release is to have everything working reliably as-is to the extent possible.

After that we can certainly explore a re-do of the audio config mechanism per that PR :-)
Enjoy the Music!
Amazing stuff by Tim and his fellow dedicated development volunteers. Thank you for continued development of this great solution.
Quote:maybe https://github.com/moode-player/moode/issues/584 is a good candidate, as we seeing work is needed in that area?

Wait, did I really write that PR? Damn, I used to be good. My memory isn't the only thing that's failing as I get older. Tongue 

Anyway, that was more than a year ago. I just checked and, thankfully, dtoverlay is still with us in Bookworm.

The problem of knowing which ALSA card is which has to be addressed whether or not we can change overlays on the fly.

Regards,
Kent
will release 9 be running on a raspberry Pi 3b or do i have to think about Hardware update too?
Raspberry Pi3B+ --> HiFiBerry DAC+ PRO --> Cyrus | Pre - Pre Amplifier --> D. Klimo | Kent monoblocks --> Piega | Piega LDR 8.2
Raspberry Pi3B+ --> HiFiBerry AMP2 --> Visaton FRS 8 30W 4Ω
(03-15-2024, 04:41 PM)vikozo Wrote: will release 9 be running on a raspberry Pi 3b or do i have to think about Hardware update too?

The 9 series is 64 bit Bookworm and so will support pi-3 and higher and Zero 2W.
Enjoy the Music!
I was curious so I went ahead and built moode audio 9.0.0.

On bootup, you get the normally scrolling of text and then all of a sudden the HDMI turns off and the RPI appears to have crashed. The STAT light is now red.

I built the image on an rpi 5 with rasbian bookworm. All I did was checkout the imgbuild repo and run build.sh. Since it appears that Tim must've pushed out a 9.0.0 moode-player package recently, I didn't need to utilize pkgbuild at all.

I know it's obviously not ready for prime time, but if anyone is interested in exploring this further please let me know.