Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

youtube audio on moode
i have two stereos in the house, one with a chromecastAudio and one with a RPI4b running moode. i'm still pretty new to moode and don't know much about most of its features.

the use cases i have for moode/chromecastAudio look like this:
  • play local music files from a local music server. before moode, i was using jellyfin media server, jellyfin android app to send to chromecast audio. now, moode with SMB shares replaces this need.
  • play playlists etc from spotify. before moode, i was using spotify android app to send to chromecast audio. now, moode has spotify connect which replaces this need.
  • play the audio from youtube videos. before moode, i was using chromium with "cast tab" sending the audio to chromecast audio. i haven't figured out how to replace this with moode yet.
my goal is to replace the chromecastAudio with another RPI running moode, but i need to solve for that last bullet first. worse, my kids are the one that do this all the time, so it needs to be simple enough for them to do without nagging me for help Smile

the kids use a computer running xubuntu linux.

here's a few thoughts about what might work -- has anyone tried any of these? do any of them work well?:
  • find an extension in either firefox or chromium that can send the audio to moode DLNA/uPnP server (kids can click the "cast" button) this wasn't easily turned up on a bit of searching, which is puzzling to me.
  • use something like pulseaudio-dlna to set up moode's DLNA renderer as a pulseaudio sink. this would send all the computer's audio to moode, but i think that's ok for this use case. (kids can use pavucontrol to choose the right output source) sadly, this seems to be abandoned, and didn't work when i tried it yesterday.
  • maybe set up a pulseaudio sink on the moode directly that can be selected from the kids' computer? (kids would probably use pavucontrol here, too)
  • is there some airplay2 angle i haven't thought of here? i'm not familiar with it.
  • maybe there is a feature in moode that covers this that i am not aware of?
  • maybe change to win10 or win11? i think i saw that they have native support for sending audio to DLNA? (i cringe at this one, we're a mostly linux household, but it might be worth it)
Set up the moOde player as a Bluetooth speaker and connect to it from the linux box would be the simplest I expect.
----------------
Robert