Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Upcoming moOde 9.0.0 (Bookworm)
Nice :-) Enjoy the coastal life for a while!
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Often after a reboot or a moodeutl -r moode-player start hangs for about 90 secs.
The system is using wired internet and not enabled wifi on image write or moode network settings (just the defaults).

Code:
20240423 204649 worker: Wlan0
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: adapter exists
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: country US
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: SSID    Activate Hotspot
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: other   none
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: address not assigned
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: Hotspot activating
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: timeout up to 90 secs
@Tim Curtis made some progress with alsa_cdsp.
Ported the code to be based on the latest bluez-alsa 'bluezalsa-pcm.c'. Build on the Pi5 and runs on the Pi4.
It plays correctly without drops and stutter, only the draining on the end of the stream doesn't work (hangs on switch).
By lack of time it goes really slowly, but we are coming somewhere.

Also CamilllaDSP is rebuild and deployed to the CS repo. It failed on non Pi5s.
(04-23-2024, 06:59 PM)bitlab Wrote: @Tim Curtis made some progress with alsa_cdsp.
Ported the code to be based on the latest bluez-alsa 'bluezalsa-pcm.c'. Build on the Pi5 and runs on the Pi4.
It plays correctly without drops and stutter, only the draining on the end of the stream doesn't work (hangs on switch).
By lack of time it goes really slowly, but we are coming somewhere.

Also CamilllaDSP is rebuild and deployed to the CS repo. It failed on non Pi5s.

Super nice :-) I'll bump to the new Camilla for ~pre5. Plenty of time before general release due to the amount of re-do and testing. The ~pre's will be in two digits for sure, lol
Enjoy the Music!
(04-23-2024, 06:50 PM)bitlab Wrote: Often after a reboot or a moodeutl -r moode-player start hangs for about 90 secs.
The system is using wired internet and not enabled wifi on image write or moode network settings (just the defaults).

Code:
20240423 204649 worker: Wlan0
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: adapter exists
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: country US
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: SSID    Activate Hotspot
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: other   none
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: address not assigned
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: Hotspot activating
20240423 204649 worker: Wireless: timeout up to 90 secs

There's networking update in the works for this week that will prolly fix that but I need to test the no wifi scenario anyway because somehow the session var 'ipaddress' is getting erroneously set to an array instead of a string somewhere in code :-0
Enjoy the Music!
Hope this pointer helps and doesn't add workload.  Have tried 9.0.0-1moode1~pre4 tonight and ran in to problems with a HiFiBerry DAC2 Pro HAT on my rpi5, it won't recognise it to play regardless of any settings in Audio Output.

moOde release = 9.0.0 2024-MM-DD
RaspiOS = 12.5 Bookworm 64-bit
Linux kernel = 6.6.20 64-bit
Pi model = Pi-5B 1.0 4GB

I have experienced similar with other distros and it does seem to be related to the updated overlays which don't show in /boot/overlays of pre4.  HiFiBerry describe it here https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/changes-i...y-drivers/ .  I think this is the full background https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/5743.

I have tried dropping hifiberry-dacplus-std.dtbo and hifiberry-dacplus-pro.dtbo (both 10/04/24) in overlays and selecting them from 'or DT overlay' drop down list.  Pro does not work and doesn't show in 'Output device' drop down.  Std does work and allows selection of it as an output device, will keep tinkering...
(04-24-2024, 08:47 PM)jezsinglespeed Wrote: Hope this pointer helps and doesn't add workload.  Have tried 9.0.0-1moode1~pre4 tonight and ran in to problems with a HiFiBerry DAC2 Pro HAT on my rpi5, it won't recognise it to play regardless of any settings in Audio Output.

Pi model = Pi-5B 1.0 4GB

I have experienced similar with other distros and it does seem to be related to the updated overlays which don't show in /boot/overlays of pre4.  HiFiBerry describe it here https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/changes-i...y-drivers/ .  I think this is the full background https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/5743.

I have tried dropping hifiberry-dacplus-std.dtbo and hifiberry-dacplus-pro.dtbo (both 10/04/24) in overlays and selecting them from 'or DT overlay' drop down list.  Pro does not work and doesn't show in 'Output device' drop down.  Std does work and allows selection of it as an output device, will keep tinkering...

Right, audio overlay breakage due to improvements and changes in Pi-5 I2S. I think it only affects master mode DAC's but I could be wrong. In any case these kinds of issues can only be addressed by the overlay vendor and Pi kernel devs.
Enjoy the Music!
(04-24-2024, 09:00 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 08:47 PM)jezsinglespeed Wrote: Hope this pointer helps and doesn't add workload.  Have tried 9.0.0-1moode1~pre4 tonight and ran in to problems with a HiFiBerry DAC2 Pro HAT on my rpi5, it won't recognise it to play regardless of any settings in Audio Output.

Pi model = Pi-5B 1.0 4GB

Right, audio overlay breakage due to improvements and changes in Pi-5 I2S. I think it only affects master mode DAC's but I could be wrong. In any case these kinds of issues can only be addressed by the overlay vendor and Pi kernel devs.

Tim, thanks as always for this great player, yes i should have maybe changed the intro of post as a pointer for anyone struggling with rpi5 hats that have clocks in them to figure out the flow through of updated overlays into the kernel being used to sort out master/slave mode issues.
(04-24-2024, 09:28 PM)jezsinglespeed Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 09:00 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

Pi model = Pi-5B 1.0 4GB

Tim, thanks as always for this great player, yes i should have maybe changed the intro of post as a pointer for anyone struggling with rpi5 hats that have clocks in them to figure out the flow through of updated overlays into the kernel being used to sort out master/slave mode issues.

It was a good post and I'm sure there will be more like it. IIRC I mentioned something about broken overlays really early in this thread. It will eventually get sorted out but only for those I2S device manufacturers that are still able to maintain and support their softwares.

Note that passive mode I2S DAC's like ProtoDAC won't be affected.
Enjoy the Music!
I've been using an external wifi adapter with my Allo Boss2 since I bought it.  IIRC, all I've done to make it work with Moode is to turn off the internal adapter.  Moode defaults to the external adapter.  The difference in reception between the external and internal adapters is not too great but I don't seem to be able to activate the USB adapter.  If I turn the internal adapter off I can only connect via ethernet.  If I define connections explicitly using nmtui I can't figure out how to make the external adapter the default.  If I set the external adapter MAC address as the only one that can access my network my only wifi option becomes the hotspot.  

It's not a performance problem.  The signal strength with the external adapter is a few  dB better but in either case the signal strength is in the mid -50s dBM.  Retirement allows me to waste hours on problems that aren't really problems.

The adapter is an Edimax AC1200 with a Realtek chipset.  AFAIK it's been plug and play compatible with previous Pi hardware and OS versions.  Bookworm recognizes it as a wifi adapter.