Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Pi5 radio... RF: wifi & bluetooth
What exactly happens when wifi and BT are turned off in Moode (under the configure/system page, if i recall correctly, on the pre4... as I can't access it for unknown reasons. I think someone else also has already reported this problem)?

Do the "radios" REALLY go off, as they were not installed on the Pi's PCB?

I'm asking this as I've to decide the kind of case to use for my Pi5 and its linear PSU. I've a couple of suitable iron cabinets here already, but I wonder if I'd better to switch to a plastic one. 

Thank you for any input on this matter!
(05-04-2024, 09:22 AM)fralippo Wrote: What exactly happens when wifi and BT are turned off in Moode (under the configure/system page, if i recall correctly, on the pre4... as I can't access it for unknown reasons. I think someone else also has already reported this problem)?
If you switched them off, of course you won't be able to access it. Via wi-fi at least (BT is for audio transport only).
Yes, I can't access them, but might it be on the "software" side only? Are the RF emissions really off?
(05-04-2024, 09:32 AM)fralippo Wrote: Yes, I can't access them, but might it be on the "software" side only? Are the RF emissions really off?

If you cannot "see" the wi-fi it means the circuitry on the Pi is not active.
Of course it's activated by software (the driver, possibly) but this makes no difference: it is OFF.
(05-04-2024, 09:22 AM)fralippo Wrote: What exactly happens when wifi and BT are turned off in Moode (under the configure/system page, if i recall correctly, on the pre4... as I can't access it for unknown reasons. I think someone else also has already reported this problem)?

Do the "radios" REALLY go off, as they were not installed on the Pi's PCB?

I'm asking this as I've to decide the kind of case to use for my Pi5 and its linear PSU. I've a couple of suitable iron cabinets here already, but I wonder if I'd better to switch to a plastic one. 

Thank you for any input on this matter!

Your best bet is to ask in the Raspberry Pi forums "are the radios turned off when disabling wifi and bluetooth via the config.txt lines below?

Code:
dtoverlay=disable-bt
dtoverlay=disable-wifi
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thank you Tim! Question just posted on the Raspberry Pi forum. I will comment here if I will discover something interesting.