Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Upcoming moOde 9.0.0 (Bookworm)
G'day Tim,

In the 9.0.0+ release, do you have any strong opinion to keep snapcast disabled in the mpd build options?

As per: https://github.com/moode-player/pkgbuild...ions.patch

I have successfully deployed moode at my friend's house, where has had an existing snapcast setup, by following your pkgbuild instructions and rebuilding mpd with snapcast enabled. Then all it took is adding an additional output in a `/etc/mpd.custom.cfg` with:

Code:
audio_output {
  type "snapcast"
  name "snapcast_mpd_builtin"
  format "48000:16:2"
  mixer_type "software"
  enabled "yes"
  always_on "yes"
}

A quick `mpc enable mpd_snapcast_builtin` and has a wonderful local moode playing audio, but also streaming to his three other rooms without any other changes required.

When upgrade time comes, he will probably avoid upgrading moode because of the requirement to rebuild mpd (it is a touch beyond his knowledge at present), simply due to snapcast being disabled. Happy to offer any more detail, but back when a snapserver + snapclient + fifo + lots of stuff was required, it might have seemed sensible to keep snapcast out of moode entirely. With more recent mpd having the built-in option, all the normal moode things still work like adjusting volume and whatnot, and given it requires adding custom config it shouldn't interfere with someone trying to use the regular tx/rx multi-room features (which I have at my place).

Cheers,
- hiisukun
(05-18-2024, 10:59 AM)hiisukun Wrote: G'day Tim,

In the 9.0.0+ release, do you have any strong opinion to keep snapcast disabled in the mpd build options?

As per: https://github.com/moode-player/pkgbuild...ions.patch

I have successfully deployed moode at my friend's house, where has had an existing snapcast setup, by following your pkgbuild instructions and rebuilding mpd with snapcast enabled. Then all it took is adding an additional output in a `/etc/moode.custom.cfg` with:

Code:
audio_output {
  type "snapcast"
  name "mpd_snapcast_builtin"
  port "1704"
  address "0.0.0.0"
  format "48000:16:2"
  always_on "yes"
}

A quick `mpc enable mpd_snapcast_builtin` and has a wonderful local moode playing audio, but also streaming to his three other rooms without any other changes required.

When upgrade time comes, he will probably avoid upgrading moode because of the requirement to rebuild mpd (it is a touch beyond his knowledge at present), simply due to snapcast being disabled. Happy to offer any more detail, but back when a snapserver + snapclient + fifo + lots of stuff was required, it might have seemed sensible to keep snapcast out of moode entirely. With more recent mpd having the built-in option, all the normal moode things still work like adjusting volume and whatnot, and given it requires adding custom config it shouldn't interfere with someone trying to use the regular tx/rx multi-room features (which I have at my place).

Cheers,
- hiisukun

I haven't looked at SnapCast in a while but IIRC back then it did not support reading from ALSA Loopback device and so it was a no-go at that time because moode uses Loopback to support multiroom for MPD as well as Spotify, AirPlay and Bluetooth.

A quick look at the repo and I see that it does mention Loopback as an input source for the server.

Code:
"ALSA to capture line-in, microphone, alsa-loop (to capture audio from other players)"

This would need to be confirmed but if in fact Loopback works then the main challenge would be to develop the command and control mechanism (volume, mute , on/off, etc) and integrate it into the WebUI

This would be a good project for 9.0.x. I won't have the bandwidth to do the whole thing but if you are interested in taking the lead on the back-end stuff  I can certainly help out with the WebUI.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub