Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Linear Power Supply (review)
After my DIY plans for another power supply fell apart, i decided to buy a linear power supply (heaps of my gear is DIY).  This particular unit has a mains filter on board and some thought had also gone into cleaning up the DC output.  The retailer (no affiliation) also allowed for the customisation of the output voltage range (which i required) as well as with the silk screening on the aluminium casing.  I wanted a clean look to the power supply with no print on the chassis.

I required an ouptut range from 5v - 6.5v, this would allow for me to test both the Audiophonics i-sabre DAC as well as a USB PCM2704 DAC that i have.

[Image: pihifi_1s.jpg]

In a back to back comparo with a switched mode supply, this power supply sounds easily more refined.  It sounds fuller in the lower frequencies and a harshness to the sound that was with the switched mode supply was no longer present.  In this setup, the power supply is a welcome upgrade.

For flexiblity, there are 2 DC outputs at the back of the power supply.  This makes it easier for me to side step USB power in this setup.

For those who might be interested:
ebay seller : minishow0328, item number: 142458851433
So your DACs are powered via the Raspberry's USB? Was the DC jack/micro USB adapter supplied? BTW, what is the PCB in the SD card slot?
(03-21-2019, 10:58 AM)Malefoda Wrote: So your DACs are powered via the Raspberry's USB? Was the DC jack/micro USB adapter supplied? BTW, what is the PCB in the SD card slot?

Hello Malefoda,

this particular DAC is powered by the USB port.  i will attempt to power it via the power supply (same supply with the Pi) bypassing USB power.  The DC - micro usb connector was supplied as part of the power supply.  (i'm working on a usb cable with split data & power connections).
My other DAC / Pi combo is powered via the DAC hat. 
The PCB in the card slot is an extension for the micro sd card.  It helps with removal of the micro sd card when the pi is used with a case.
Ok thanks!
That's why you need clean power =) BTW, DIYAudio member Salas is now working on a high-end (with Salas that means best sound possible) linear supply for things like a Rapsberry (sudden high current needs), you may have a look when it's ready for GB.
(03-23-2019, 03:04 PM)Malefoda Wrote: Ok thanks!
That's why you need clean power =) BTW, DIYAudio member Salas is now working on a high-end (with Salas that means best sound possible) linear supply for things like a Rapsberry (sudden high current needs), you may have a look when it's ready for GB.

[Image: AC_pi2.jpg]

Hello Malefoda,

Thank you for the heads up with the power supply.  I am on that forum and will have a look see.
This is what i have come up with so far.  It is sounding pretty good.  All power connections from the USB port have been removed.