Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

USB stick not recognised:
Hello,

I used to have 2 USB sticks of 128GB for Pi3 model B and moode v3.84.
It always worked beautifully until my collection grew big; 
Then I replaced one of the sticks with a new 256GB USB stick.

Now the 128GB USB stick is always not recognised by Pi3;
Only the 256GB USB stick shows up normally.

The only temporary solution is to unplug and plug back in the 128GB stick and rescan the directory;
but this only works for an hour or so and suddenly music stops; USB 128GB disappears in the directory again.

I wonder if I need 2 USB sticks of same capacity in order for it to work?
(I have reformatted the 128GB stick but problem persists)

Hope someone has an answer for this scenario.
@nano35

No, it's likely not a matter of mismatched capacities.

Unless someone has a specific solution to offer, we're back to basic troubleshooting.

What version moOde are you now using? What RPi model? Are there other USB devices plugged in? How's your power supply? RPi systems get cranky when their power source is overtaxed.

Does the 128GB thumb drive work normally for long periods of time when it's the only thumb drive?

With debug logging enabled, do you see any suspicious messages in the moOde log when the 128GB drive disappears?

How comfortable are you working from the Raspbian command line when ssh'ed in from another computer or via the moOde Web SSH Terminal if we need to dig deeper?

aside: I have no experience with such large capacity thumb drives. My largest is only 8GB.

Regards,
Kent
It is moode Version 3.84; RPi3 model B; only a USB cable to DAC, then 2 USB sticks.
I use linear power supply but no problem before.
I know nothing about coding or programming.
The thing is it happened only after I switch the 128 USB stick to 256GB. Very strange.
I will continue to troubleshoot by trying different options.
Thank you.
(05-15-2019, 05:13 AM)nano35 Wrote: It is moode Version 3.84; RPi3 model B; only a USB cable to DAC, then 2 USB sticks.
I use linear power supply but no problem before.
I know nothing about coding or programming.
The thing is it happened only after I switch the 128 USB stick to 256GB. Very strange.
I will continue to troubleshoot by trying different options.
Thank you.

It is possible that the PSU may not be able to deliver a constant current for 'feeding' the RPi and the THREE USB devices. Make a test by either:
- using a proven higher current 5Vcc power supply (a switch-mode PSU would be fine for the test) OR
- by unplugging the USB DAC and using the RPi's headphone out (obviously you need to make adjustments to the Moode settings to reflect the non-use of an USB DAC) OR
- by plugging the two memory sticks into a POWERED USB hub and then plugging the hub into the RPi
Thank you so much. I will try your options!