Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

USB Remote Control
Hey everyone,

i was wondering if there is an easy way to get an USB wireless remote control working with moode? (such us one of these)

having a wireless remote control (non infrared) would give the remote control a chance to work without intervisibility (e.g. having the raspi in a closet,..)

do you have any experience with such a setup? and is there any downside compared to using an infrared remote control?

Cheers
@alover

Have a look at what I did with a Satechi Multi-Media Remote https://github.com/TheOldPresbyope/moode-satechi

There's a thread about this work which I started on this forum before I created the github repo but the repo is more up to date.

The only downside for me with this solution is that it takes a noticeable amount of time for the Satechi-moOde connection to "wake up" after the Satechi shuts itself down to save power. It also requires Raspbian Buster which implies moOde 6.0 which may be a downside for others.

I notice the FLIRC is mentioned in the article you linked to. I did some comparable work with it (described here) but I didn't get around to cleaning it up and creating a github repo (at least not yet). Of course it's IR-based so doesn't meet the "invisibility" requirement.

Regards,
Kent