Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: player: Decoder is too slow; playing silence to avoid xrun
Hello,

I recently started having the following error message in the /var/log/mpd/log file:

player: Decoder is too slow; playing silence to avoid xrun

It took me a couple of days and a lot of searching the web to find nearly no solution.

I have tried this with both moOdeAudio 5.0 as well as moOdeAudio 6.3.0.

Today when I re-installed moOdeAudio 6.3.0 I happened upon the following configuration:

In the system configuration panel:

1. I set the kernel architecture to "64-bit" (default seemed to be "32-bit").
2. I kept the CPU governor at "performance".

In the MPD configuration panel:

1. I set the audio MPD version to "0.21.15 (testing)".

I have a Raspbery Pi 3b+ with a HiFiBerry Digi(Digi+). With the old moOdeAudio configuration it seemed ok for over a year. However it recently started repeatedly dropping out for about a second a time while playing BBC Radio 3 (320K), BBC Radio4 (320K), France Musique...  I tried increasing buffers, using the lower quality BBC streams, but nothing would stop the drop out....

Until I used the above base configuration.  It has, so far, not dropped out over 6 or so hours of listening.

So if you are having similar problems... try using the above settings.
After a day of further tests, I find that I was wrong on all of the above settings.

Both the 64 and 32 bit kernels work fine.
I have not bothered to test/change the "performance" setting.
But both the "0.20.23 (default)" and "0.21.15 (testing)" MPD versions also work just fine.

What WAS the problem is that I had the wrong HiFiBerry driver... for my HiFiBerry board (Digi+) I accidentally used the "HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro" driver instead of the "HiFiBerry Digi(Digi+)" driver.

Once I started using the "HiFiBerry Digi(Digi+)" driver (corresponding to my actual HiFiBerry board), I stopped getting these errors and the sound has been perfect all day!

As the British say "who would have thought eh?"