Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Newbie UPNP question
Hi all, I'm new to MoOde, network audio, and RPi in general so apologies if there's an obvious answer to this, but I can't find it.
RPi 3B, Moode 4.0, HiFi Berry Dac+ Pro.  I've got Moode up and running and it plays local files, internet radio etc fine. I would like to play the music files on my PC via UPNP. The UPNP server is Nero MediaHome 2015 running on Windows 10 Home.  I can access this using my Roberts internet radio which displays all the files on the server, and can play them at will.  I can also get the RPi to play them IF I select "Play to Moode Audio" on MediaHome so the link is basically working.

My question is how do I access those files using Moode?  UPNP is enabled (though I don't know whether that's as server or renderer) but nothing appears in the Browse window.  Do I have to tell Moode that MediaHome is a NAS maybe?  If so, how?   The Roberts simply needed to scan the network for a UPNP server and found it very quickly so I was hoping there'd be an equivalent command in Moode.  Any pointers gratefully received - thanks Smile.

I've been enjoying the jurney so far although it's a steep learning curve!
Hi,

moOde is not a UPnP controller so it can't access your remote files via UPnP but it can access them via network file sharing, using either either Samba (SMB) or NFS.

I'm not sure how to create a file share on Windows 10 so maybe another user can help out. Once this is done then you need to configure a NAS Source in moOde.

You might want to wait until moOde 4.1 is released (very soon) because it contains a nice Samba scanner that makes to easy to setup NAS sources.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks Tim. This was a bit of a stopgap as I am considering building a NAS using another Pi, I was simply hoping I could use moOde in the same way as the Roberts in the meantime. I guess the Roberts IS a controller then. There's an awful lot to learn!

Cheers
Richard
Hi Richard,

For sure, Raspberry Pi audio is rapidly evolving and improving so like yourself I'm always in learning mode :-)

If your Router supports Samba shares then you might want to consider connecting an SSD drive to its USB port and usie it as a basic NAS. Thats what I ended up doing and it works perfect for serving music files.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
That sounds worth looking into Tim, thanks. My router, a BT Hub 6, does have a USB port and a web search suggests it can be used with a HDD. I'll report back how I get on.

Cheers
Richard
(04-07-2018, 04:24 PM)otto52 Wrote: That sounds worth looking into Tim, thanks. My router, a BT Hub 6, does have a USB port and a web search suggests it can be used with a HDD. I'll report back how I get on.

Cheers
Richard

You need to install a UPNP control point application on your phone or tablet.

In the application you will be able to select a Render (Moode) and a library (Nero) .

Browse the Library in the control point software, select the album/track and press play.

Suitable applications are Bubble and BubbleDS on android, Lumin on  IOS and Linn Kazoo on Andriod, IOS and Windows.
Thanks serverbaboon, I'll look into Lumin and Kazoo - I use iOS. I did briefly try a HDD plugged into the router and while the router correctly identified it, Windows didn't. My experience so far with Windows notworking (sic) is that it'd probably be easier to build a Pi NAS than get that to work!
Otto, if you want to try a Windows share this is very easy under Windows 10:

Right click the folder you wish to share
Click Properties, then select the Sharing tab
Click Share
On the dropdown, select Everyone and then Add
Make sure permission is "read only"
Click Share

You're done!
Thanks, the network is working OK and all three W10 PCs are talking to each other, but I cannot get access to an HDD plugged into my BT Smart Hub 's USB port. There are a lot of suggestions on the web about how to get this to work but none of them have worked for me, the disc never shows up in Windows File Explorer despite being listed as a connected device on the router's web page. A few random phones and TVs come and go though which seems to be a common issue, solvable by disabling WPS on the router. I've done that, and they still show up! Anyway, I've ordered an RPi 3B+ for use as a NAS with Open Media Vault so hopefully that will work OK.
(04-13-2018, 12:41 PM)otto52 Wrote: Thanks, the network is working OK and all three W10 PCs are talking to each other, but I cannot get access to an HDD plugged into my BT Smart Hub 's USB port.  There are a lot of suggestions on the web about how to get this to work but none of them have worked for me, the disc never shows up in Windows File Explorer despite being listed as a connected device on the router's web page.  A few random phones and TVs come and go though which seems to be a common issue, solvable by disabling WPS on the router.  I've done that, and they still show up!  Anyway, I've ordered an RPi 3B+ for use as a NAS with Open Media Vault so hopefully that will work OK.

@otto52

Don't know what you've already read about Windows 10 and Samba. This article was useful to me https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how...indows-10/

Regards,
Kent