Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Docker Containers for dev env
Would be great, for everyone who would like to get involved in development of Moode, if there were a Docker Compose file which would setup the environment (database, php, extensions, plugins etc). 

I would like to help from now and then with development but it is a pain to make the first run since I'm not used to create web environments.
Look at this thing. Guess this should be a great starting point.

https://github.com/lukechilds/dockerpi/b.../README.md

What do you think?
This thread reminds me of Mark Twain's tale of Tom Sawyer cajoling his friends into whitewashing Aunt Polly's fence for him.

I think the proponents of containerizing moOde should "just do it", demonstrate the benefits to developers, document what had be done to make it so. Don't forget to document how to get from the development environment to the distribution image (or are you proposing to run the container bare-metal---which would also have to be demonstrated?).

I'm not opposed to containers, but for me, moOde will continue to be its own development environment, whether it's in a container or not. 

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Kent
(02-22-2020, 08:19 PM)codiac Wrote: Would be great, for everyone who would like to get involved in development of Moode, if there were a Docker Compose file which would setup the environment (database, php, extensions, plugins etc). 

I would like to help from now and then with development but it is a pain to make the first run since I'm not used to create web environments.

It would be good to have MoOde containerised anyway.   I'm a MoOde end user and enjoy listening using Moode. I got here by trying to find a Docker version of Moode.  I just thought I would like to utilise my Raspberry Pi to play audio AND stream movies by having Moode and Plex running side by side (as opposed to having two Pi's that I would never use at the same time)  For me its a logical step to fully utilise one machine.  I only wish I had the knowledge to achieve this.  So when I saw this thread I added my two pennyworth.
lol, everything is virtualized by some magic. Why don't you ask Plex on their forum to do this?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-07-2021, 02:11 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: lol, everything is virtualized by some magic. Why don't you ask Plex on their forum to do this?

Hi

They do provide a docker container for Plex. See https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/  &  https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker
Thats wonderful. Maybe a dev will volunteer their time to maintain something similar for moOde.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Quote:@codiac  : "I would like to help from now and then with development but it is a pain to make the first run since I'm not used to create web environments."

I don't see the pain as @TheOldPresbyope already said; ' moOde will continue to be its own development environment'. There is no need to create a web environment for development.
For the occasional developer;A Pi with moOde already contains already everything to start developing. Hook it up with an external IDE like Visual Code with SSH remote extension and read the moode gulp development manual and your are good to go.

Frontend development and testing can even be done on every desktop systeem (Windows, Mac, Linux etc), see the moOde gulp doc for more information.

In practice a lot of time is spend related to os, drivers, clean installs and hardware related issues requiring a variety of hardware to test.

In other situations I'm a very active promoter of containers, but in this case it is not clear to me how a moOde cotainer will improve my current development workflow ?
To me this leaves the use-case to save a few bucks and run multiple applications on a single Raspberry. Nothing is your way to install moOde and run an other application as container or native.
Hi,
From another perspective, now that moodeaudio is mutltiroom it could come in handy to be able to run the "main" instance of docker for those of us that already have a server. it would practically save a raspberry Smile

i like to tinker around but have no real technical knowledge. will look into it anyhow to see if i can help :-)

edit: or maybe i can run any mdp on the server and that will be "compatible" ?