Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: lowering master volume
Hello,

I'm using Moode on a RaspberryPi with Alloo Boss DAC module. 

My amplifier and speakers are a little bit beefy for my living environment.  Big Grin

So this means currently I always have the volume knob of the amp way down. 

I know there is a volume slider in the WebGUI. But I would like to limit the maximum output volume, because sometimes the volume in the GUI gets changed and next and I almost blow my ears out next time I play a song. 

So what would be the best way around this?
In upcoming moOde 6.5.0 there is a new option to configure the volume step limit to 2, 5 or 10 This controls how many steps the volume advances when the ring is clicked at a point ahead of its current position. The step limit in moOde 6.4.2 is fixed at 10.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi Tim,

That sounds good, but it's not really what Im looking for.

Basically I would want to limit my max volume. Set a cap on it to let's say 50% and never let it go any higher.

I thought it might be a parameter in some config file
@ontorugs

In a similar situation, I've used inline audio attenuators to ensure I never overdrive the amp. In my case, I used Harrison Labs products but I believe there are others.

Regards,
Kent
(04-14-2020, 03:52 PM)ontorugs Wrote: Hi Tim,

Basically I would want to limit my max volume. Set a cap on it to let's say 50% and never let it go any higher.

It would have to implemented as an option.

Even with the current step limit of 10 it would require several deliberate taps or actually dragging the slider to set the volume to a high level. 

How is the volume being accidentally set to a high level in your particular case?
Enjoy the Music!
@TheOldPresbyope

That is indeed an interesting product and seems to do exactly what I'm looking for. Are there any benefits by going this way over any software solution?
(04-14-2020, 04:01 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 03:52 PM)ontorugs Wrote: Hi Tim,

It would have to implemented as an option.

Even with the current step limit of 10 it would require several deliberate taps or actually dragging the slider to set the volume to a high level. 

How is the volume being accidentally set to a high level in your particular case?

Not sure, maybe after the Pi got rebooted? Also on my phone I am using an MPD remote client, which also have a volume control. Or it was probably just me forgetting at which level I left the dial though, LOL Smile

It's just a bit confusing to have too many volume controls, especially software dials, which is exactly why I would like a limit. Maybe the question is better asked on the MPD side of things?
Our project doesn't support 3rd party MPD clients. We only support moOde's integrated WebUI.

I recall that @swizzle had a relatively straight forward approach to limiting moOde's volume control knob I'll have to go back through my notes and see if this is something that could be implemented.
Enjoy the Music!
(04-14-2020, 04:01 PM)ontorugs Wrote: @TheOldPresbyope

That is indeed an interesting product and seems to do exactly what I'm looking for. Are there any benefits by going this way over any software solution?

I think the first and foremost benefit is that the output level is limited no matter to the maximum possible output of the DAC reduced by the attenuation factor of the attenuators chosen.  No accidental misconfiguration of moOde/MPD/ALSA will change that.

A secondary (for me) benefit is that the attenuation is applied to the analog output so it doesn't require manipulating the bit-stream. You can search other forums for pro/con arguments about digital vs analog volume control.

Regards,
Kent