Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

moOde release 4.1
@FizzyTea, you know the bit where I said I don't have another Pi with a display and keyboard to run the build process on?

Well, I meant I didn't have another Pi with a display and keyboard to run the build process on.

While I appreciate your replay, you need to understand what FOSS and Open Source is all about. As someone who has used open source for about 10 years or more, there is absolutely nothing in the license agreement that stops an ISO being provided. Don't believe me?

Go download Ubuntu or Linux Mint. They've been doing this for years as has every other flavour, branch or fork of the Linux OS.

What you may not realise is that is against the Linux license agreement (or any other software that is sold under the open source header).

Being free doesn't stop anyone providing an ISO. That's simply not true!

https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.php
(04-09-2018, 02:37 PM)zenscape Wrote: @FizzyTea, you know the bit where I said I don't have another Pi with a display and keyboard to run the build process on?

Well, I meant I didn't have another Pi with a display and keyboard to run the build process on.

While I appreciate your replay, you need to understand what FOSS and Open Source is all about. As someone who has used open source for about 10 years or more, there is absolutely nothing in the license agreement that stops an ISO being provided. Don't believe me?

Go download Ubuntu or Linux Mint. They've been doing this for years as has every other flavour, branch or fork of the Linux OS.  

What you may not realise is that is against the Linux license agreement (or any other software that is sold under the open source header).

Unless you are running your mint desktop on the same raspberry pi (which was not clear to me if the case) you have no issue. You need one raspberry pi (your audio player) and any other ssh capable machine which from your post it appears you have.

As for the rest, not my concern, simply how the new requirement to build your own image was explained to the users.
Hi,

The in-place update worked fine, thanks Tim.

But I now found that  '_' character (under-bar) was rejected when I tried to edit the SSID on WiFi config part.
On ver 4.0, this is allowed to be used, I think.

kitamura_design
Success updating 4.0 -> 4.1 on pi2 rev1.1 using 

Code:
sudo /var/www/command/updater.sh r40a

As forewarned by the updater script my theme colour changed, however my player's host name did not change back to moode from my custom name as the script suggested it would, which I was glad about.

Have not done much testing beyond playing music but all appears good thus far.

Small comment: Not sure how intuitive the mute button being the centre of the volume dial is. Seems to me we have a universally accepted symbol for mute so reinventing it may be somewhat complicating a "readable" design feature. Having said that I figured it out pretty quickly! And I appreciate the work being done to simplify the "clutter" for small screens.
(04-09-2018, 01:51 PM)Strider Wrote: Installed MoOde 4.1 without a hitch, again, thanks Tim! (Donation made)

I've noticed that since upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 I'm getting over modulation  and distortion with upper bass. My setup is Rpi3, MoOde 4, USB to Arcam rPac (DAC), Primare i30 amp and Proac Studio 148's..

I've disabled volume control so its at full output..

I didn't have any audio issues at all with MoOde 4.0 but with 4.1 its really noticeable, when playing tracks that are a bit 'hot' I get a nasty distortion close to clipping even at very low volume on the amp..

Any ideas guys?

Ok, I've put the SD card with MoOde 4.0 in and no distortion at all. I then put 4.1 in and straight away severe distortion with bass/mid bass.. thanks in advance for any replies...

(04-09-2018, 02:43 PM)FizzyTea Wrote:
(04-09-2018, 02:37 PM)zenscape Wrote: @FizzyTea, you know the bit where I said I don't have another Pi with a display and keyboard to run the build process on?

Unless you are running your mint desktop on the same raspberry pi (which was not clear to me if the case) you have no issue. You need one raspberry pi (your audio player) and any other ssh capable machine which from your post it appears you have.

As for the rest, not my concern, simply how the new requirement to build your own image was explained to the users.

So, you're saying I can boot up my Dell workstation that is running Linux Mint, open a terminal session and SSH to my Moode Pi - and that's how I do the build?

If that's the case, great. I just asked what I needed to create the build. I thought I had to have another Pi. 

Its just a pity that version 3 had a free build ISO, which I made a donation for, then Version 4 which you had to buy, also had a build ISO. I bought that. Now we have a free build again, but no ready-made ISO. If we did, I'd happily contribute to it as I did on all my Open Source apps. 

You may want to ask yourself, how Volumio has a free ISO and always has, given your statement about licensing... I just want to listen to my music.
(04-09-2018, 03:43 PM)FizzyTea Wrote: Success updating 4.0 -> 4.1 on pi2 rev1.1 using 

Code:
sudo /var/www/command/updater.sh r40a

As forewarned by the updater script my theme colour changed, however my player's host name did not change back to moode from my custom name as the script suggested it would, which I was glad about.

I misunderstood the script's warning. It said my browser title would change to 'moode player' which did indeed happen as described.
(04-09-2018, 04:48 PM)zenscape Wrote: So, you're saying I can boot up my Dell workstation that is running Linux Mint, open a terminal session and SSH to my Moode Pi - and that's how I do the build?

If that's the case, great. I just asked what I needed to create the build. I thought I had to have another Pi.

Yes.
Use your workstation to burn a fresh raspbian lite image to sd.
Add the ssh text file to enable ssh. Details online if needed.
Boot your pi with your new raspbian image.
Follow the mosbuild instructions on the Github page to run the build script.

Hi,

Correct, anyone can distribute a Linux image but this comes with burdonsome license compliance obligations and legal liability. 

One rather harsh reality is that the individual or entity that distributes the software is legally liable even if the failure is in an upstream supplier. Then there's the mechanics of actually generating the complete and corresponding sources and makefiles for everything on the distribution i.e., all of Raspbian, any added Packages or applications, Linux Kernel etc. You can't simply point to upstream code repositories because they may not continue to host the code that matches up to the binary being distributed.

So assuming you have the sources and makefiles for everything on the distribution, and you are willing to assume legal liability for it then its just a matter of being able to afford the ISP bandwidth for a potentially large number of 1GB downloads.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-09-2018, 01:51 PM)Strider Wrote: Installed MoOde 4.1 without a hitch, again, thanks Tim! (Donation made)

I've noticed that since upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 I'm getting over modulation  and distortion with upper bass. My setup is Rpi3, MoOde 4, USB to Arcam rPac (DAC), Primare i30 amp and Proac Studio 148's..

I've disabled volume control so its at full output..

I didn't have any audio issues at all with MoOde 4.0 but with 4.1 its really noticeable, when playing tracks that are a bit 'hot' I get a nasty distortion close to clipping even at very low volume on the amp..

Any ideas guys?

Thats odd. If your DAC supports hardware volume then:

1. Run the alsamixer command from an SSH session and verify that ALSA volume = 100 and dB gain = 0.
2. Try reducing ALSA volume in the Audio config screen.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub