Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Official moOde 6.5.0 support thread
(04-26-2020, 02:40 AM)swizzle Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 01:20 AM)Dradder Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 12:26 AM)swizzle Wrote: @Dradder

I did notice mpd got much pickier about stray non-music files in the music directory, probably in the time frame you’re talking about (in my case there were some zip files).

There’s a post somewhere here about using an .mpdignore (something like that) that you can put in the top level of your music folder (or drive if you don’t use a separate music folder) to keep mpd from trying to scan different file types, see:

https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/user.ht...e-database

I ended up just removing the files that were throwing a spanner in the works.

Okay -- but if those files are throwing a spanner in the works with the MPD in Moode 6.5.0 (and the other versions subsequent to 6.2.0), then why aren't they throwing the same spanner into the works with the MPD in Moode 6.2.0, with the exact same files on my external USB drives, all of which are being correctly databased by Moode 6.2.0? And just for the record, there are no zip files on my USB drives -- I'm pretty thorough about grooming those.

Thanks for your help, but I just don't think this is the issue here.

The way mpd works isn't fixed in stone, Max obviously changed how the library scan works between the version that moode 6.2 used and now. And there's literally nothing Tim can do to fix this except link you to a binary of the mpd that moode 6.2 uses if he still has one.

The easiest recourse is to look at the mpd log as Tim suggested to see where it's crashing and remove whatever file(s) it's having a problem with. Alternately you can file a bug against mpd but be warned it's not for the faint of heart.
Well, no -- IMO, the easiest recourse is for me to continue using Moode 6.2.0, which works fine for my purposes, as it doesn't incorporate a buggy version of MPD, which causes MPD to crash rather than correctly databasing a large multi-terabyte collection of music files, which previous non-buggy versions of MPD were perfectly capable of doing. If the MPD folks want to put out demonstrably buggy versions of their program, that's their business, but I'm under no obligation to use other programs (such as post-6.2.0 versions of Moode) that incorporate those buggy MPD versions. 

I'd love to have an updated, latest-&-greatest version of Moode, which doesn't incorporate a buggy version of MPD, as I'm sure there have been some attractive improvements made. But MPD crashing rather than correctly databasing my admittedly large collection of music files, the way previous MPD versions did -- that's pretty much a deal-killer for me. I run Moode on a very high-resolution audio system, and I really don't hear any difference in audio quality between files played with Moode 6.2.0 versus those same files that I'm able to play with Moode 6.5.0. So why shouldn't I stick with Moode 6.2.0? It works! I wouldn't be the first person who continues using an older version of a program -- that works! -- rather than pointlessly trying to migrate to a newer version that doesn't work. And right now, post-6.2.0 versions of Moode, including the latest 6.5.0 version, simply don't work, because of what increasingly appears to be the buggy version of MPD that they incorporate.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Official moOde 6.5.0 support thread - by Dradder - 04-26-2020, 02:58 AM