Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Network Switch = No Music
Hi,

I have just got a USBridge Sig up and running with MoOde. MoOde is operated from my iphone or laptop, and the Sig is connected via ethernet to a Netgear WiFi router which is wired to a Virgin Hub.

The problem I have is when I try and connect a Cisco Network switch. I've tried from router to switch to Sig, and hub to switch to Sig but I can't get MoODe to connect, which is a great shame as it was sounding very good. If I connect anything else to the switch (TV Box, router/WiFI) it works fine.

The switch has been set to factory default I am told.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks,
Andy.
What do you mean by "I can't get MoODe to connect"? Theres not enough detail in your post.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-30-2020, 09:47 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What do you mean by "I can't get MoODe to connect"? Theres not enough detail in your post.

Hi Tim,

When I try to access via http://moode.local on the laptop it says server won't respond, DNS not recognised, and via the MConnect app on the iPhone MoOde UPnP does not appear under UPnP devices. Removing the Network switch and plugging the Sig back into the Router does solve this problem, but I'd like to get this working via the switch if possible.

Thanks,
Andy.
The switch is blocking multicast DNS (mDNS) packets.

mDNS is the discovery protocol used to resolve .local domain. You will experience a lot of breakage without mDNS.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-30-2020, 10:32 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The switch is blocking multicast DNS (mDNS) packets.

mDNS is the discovery protocol used to resolve .local domain. You will experience a lot of breakage without mDNS.

Thank Tim.

I'll do some research to find out if the switch can be configured to handle that.
(04-30-2020, 10:39 PM)Andy B Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 10:32 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The switch is blocking multicast DNS (mDNS) packets.

Thank Tim.

I'll do some research to find out if the switch can be configured to handle that.

This would suggest you have an active, e.g., managed, switch. Pretty fancy. 

What model of each of your networking gear do you have? Virgin Hubs, Netgear WiFi routers, and Cisco switches come in various flavors.

Regards,
Kent
(04-30-2020, 10:56 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:

Thank Tim.

What model of each of your networking gear do you have? Virgin Hubs, Netgear WiFi routers, and Cisco switches come in various flavors.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Virgin Hub 3.0
Netgear Nighthawk X6
Cisco2960PD-8TT-L

Glad you are impressed. As the kids tell me about my golfing and fishing. All the gear and no idea.

Damn those pesky kids.

Regards,
Andy.
(05-01-2020, 09:41 AM)Andy B Wrote:

Thank Tim.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Virgin Hub 3.0
Netgear Nighthawk X6
Cisco2960PD-8TT-L

Glad you are impressed. As the kids tell me about my golfing and fishing. All the gear and no idea.

Damn those pesky kids.

Regards,
Andy.

Wow. That switch exceeds anything I ever had in my hands at work. This is not what Harry Homeowner finds at the local Best Buy.

The Cisco documentation is impenetrable so I went to Mama Google and she turned up this: Multicast Does Not Work in the Same VLAN in Catalyst Switches. The introduction says

Quote:This document discusses a common problem that occurs when you deploy the multicast application for the first time on a Cisco Catalyst switch network and the multicast fails to work. In addition, some servers/applications that use multicast packets for the cluster/high-availability operation can fail to work if you do not configure the switches appropriately. The document covers this issue as well.

Hope it helps. Despite what the techie posts here might make you think, we all just want to enjoy the music!

Regards,
Kent

PS - My personal experience is that my grandkids are more impressed by how much I know than my kids areSmile
(05-01-2020, 12:19 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 09:41 AM)Andy B Wrote:

Thank Tim.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Virgin Hub 3.0
Netgear Nighthawk X6
Cisco2960PD-8TT-L

Damn those pesky kids.

Regards,
Andy.

Wow. That switch exceeds anything I ever had in my hands at work. This is not what Harry Homeowner finds at the local Best Buy.

The Cisco documentation is impenetrable so I went to Mama Google and she turned up this: Multicast Does Not Work in the Same VLAN in Catalyst Switches. The introduction says

Quote:This document discusses a common problem that occurs when you deploy the multicast application for the first time on a Cisco Catalyst switch network and the multicast fails to work. In addition, some servers/applications that use multicast packets for the cluster/high-availability operation can fail to work if you do not configure the switches appropriately. The document covers this issue as well.

Hope it helps. Despite what the techie posts here might make you think, we all just want to enjoy the music!

Regards,
Kent

PS - My personal experience is that my grandkids are more impressed by how much I know than my kids areSmile

Top man, thanks. I will get reading. The good news is I am up and running without the switch and it does sound fantastic, even better now I've got Tidal working. Impressed with MoOde so donations have started.

I do hope you are right. That will be a very new experience indeed. I just hope I have managed to remember something when the time comes.

Regards,
Andy.