Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Hifiberry Amp2 click on playback start / stop
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help - I've got a moode setup with a pi 3b+ and a hifiberry AMP2, with an official pi 7" display. When ever I start or stop playback, I can hear a distinct click or pop through the speakers. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to stop it? It's very annoying. I've tried different power supplies, but that didn't make any difference. I've also tried switching between software and hardware volume control, but that didn't make a difference either. I've just upgraded to moode 6.5.2, but the problem persists. Please help!

Cheers,

john
Does the lack of response mean that no one else is experiencing this issue? Are there any others out there using the AMP2? If so, I'd be really grateful to hear whether you are hearing a pop when playback starts / ends? I guess it's possible I've got a duff board or something...
Any suggestions of things to try would be great too. Big thanks to Tim and team for this amazing system - it's super!
IME a lot of boards based on the Burr Brown PCM or TPA chips have this issue. In contrast, I've never had any audio glitches on any of the ESS based boards that I've used.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
=> Does the lack of response mean that no one else is experiencing this issue? Are there any others out there using the AMP2? If so, I'd be really grateful to hear whether you are hearing a pop when playback starts / ends

I have 2 systems running with the Amp2 and had this effect at the beginning.

The problem occurs when the Amp2 volume control is high and the music signal is rather quiet.

- Use the "Hardware Volume" setting. In this case the volume "Digital" in the alsamixer corresponds to the volume setting in moode. See screenshot below. Both are at 30. Then restart moode (maybe 2x).

Then the clicks should be gone. If not send screenshots like mine.

Best regards
Norbert

(05-10-2020, 03:14 PM)Norbert Wrote: => Does the lack of response mean that no one else is experiencing this issue? Are there any others out there using the AMP2? If so, I'd be really grateful to hear whether you are hearing a pop when playback starts / ends

I have 2 systems running with the Amp2 and had this effect at the beginning.

The problem occurs when the Amp2 volume control is high and the music signal is rather quiet.

- Use the "Hardware Volume" setting. In this case the volume "Digital" in the alsamixer corresponds to the volume setting in moode. See screenshot below. Both are at 30. Then restart moode (maybe 2x).

Then the clicks should be gone. If not send screenshots like mine.

Best regards
Norbert

Thanks for getting back to me. I've tried as you suggested, but I can still hear the clicks as before. I'm not quite sure what the procedure you described actually does - can you explain?
I attach screenshots:

Thanks,
john
Hi John,

1. answer-- my mistake, sorry.

Do you have highly efficient speakers, more than 90dB/W/m?

Best regards
Norbert
(05-10-2020, 04:36 PM)Norbert Wrote: Hi John,

1. answer-- my mistake, sorry.

Do you have highly efficient speakers, more than 90dB/W/m?

Best regards
Norbert

I think the settings are correct. I checked on the hifiberry site. The speakers are Mourdant Short M10
 - I can’t find an efficiency value at the moment.
The following thread in the HifiBerry Forum discusses two types of audio glitches one of which is the glitch on playback start/stop. The glitches occur on various player softwares. https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/c...ping-Sound

The root cause was identified as defective amplifier chips.

You might want to contact HifiBerry and report the issue to them. Maybe they will offer a replacement.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
They habe 86 dB/Wm, this is ok. I have JBL Control 1 pro with 87dB.
What power supply are you using?
(05-10-2020, 05:15 PM)Norbert Wrote: They habe 86 dB/Wm, this is ok. I have JBL Control 1 pro with 87dB.
What power supply are you using?

I am currently using this power supply:

I have tried a different unit (from a different manufacturer), but that made no difference either.
The only thing I've yet to try is to use a wired, rather than wifi network connection. After that, I am pretty much out of ideas. Perhaps it is a duff board after all...
Cheers,

john