Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Spotify by Airplay vs. built-in Moode Spotify
I'm new to streaming , I'm non-tech, and have just set up  a DigiOne Signature (RPi 4)a with Chord Mojo DAC.    I am currently enjoying free Spotify via Airplay.   I understand that if I take out a Premium Spotify sub, there is a Spotify App I could use  built into Moode.  Apart from getting rid of the adverts, would this give me an improved sound quality?
(06-22-2020, 09:52 AM)Civilian Wrote: I'm new to streaming , I'm non-tech, and have just set up  a DigiOne Signature (RPi 4)a with Chord Mojo DAC.    I am currently enjoying free Spotify via Airplay.   I understand that if I take out a Premium Spotify sub, there is a Spotify App I could use  built into Moode.  Apart from getting rid of the adverts, would this give me an improved sound quality?

Yes, better sound because you will get a higher bitrate: 320kbps as against 160kbps.
I think there are some good offers for Spotify Premium around at the moment.
(06-22-2020, 11:07 AM)jonners Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 09:52 AM)Civilian Wrote: I'm new to streaming , I'm non-tech, and have just set up  a DigiOne Signature (RPi 4)a with Chord Mojo DAC.    I am currently enjoying free Spotify via Airplay.   I understand that if I take out a Premium Spotify sub, there is a Spotify App I could use  built into Moode.  Apart from getting rid of the adverts, would this give me an improved sound quality?

Yes, better sound because you will get a higher bitrate: 320kbps as against 160kbps.
I think there are some good offers for Spotify Premium around at the moment.

Oh yes, sorry, should have picked that up myself.    And are there further quality advantages to using the Spotify built in to Moode rather than coming via Airplay?   I presume that's why it's been put there.
Well, there's presumptions and then there's presumptions.

The Spotify renderer in moOde can be reached by any computer on the same LAN which is running a Spotify app. This includes, for example, the Spotify Web player running just now on my Linux laptop and the Spotify app on my now-retired Android tablet.

Neither my laptop nor my tablet has a native Airplay sender and I'm too lazy to explore possible work-arounds.

Regards,
Kent
(06-22-2020, 02:26 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Well, there's presumptions and then there's presumptions.

The Spotify renderer in moOde can be reached by any computer on the same LAN which is running a Spotify app. This includes, for example, the Spotify Web player running just now on my Linux laptop and the Spotify app on my now-retired Android tablet.

Neither my laptop nor my tablet has a native Airplay sender and I'm too lazy to explore possible work-arounds.

Regards,
Kent

If you have to have Spotify on your laptop or tablet to use the Moode Spotify, what is the point of the Spotify in Moode?
Ah, now I see the confusion. Spotify is not "in" moOde.

Tim has integrated a piece of software which when enabled allows a Spotify app on some other device to stream tracks through moOde to its audio system.

This is what Spotify calls the "Spotify Connect" mode.

Regards,
Kent
(06-22-2020, 05:52 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Ah, now I see the confusion. Spotify is not "in" moOde.

Tim has integrated a piece of software which when enabled allows a Spotify app on some other device to stream tracks through moOde to its audio system.

This is what Spotify calls the "Spotify Connect" mode.

Regards,
Kent

I see, I think.    Is this  like an Airplay   arrangement for those who don't have an iPad ?    If I pay for Spotify premium, does that mean I have the option of either  carrying  on as now , with Spotify on the iPad using Airplay to get it to the DigiOne, alternatively I can use my Android tablet to send Spotify music to Moode, thence to my HIfi, using Spotify connect , and Tims bit of software?
Spotify Connect is associated with Spotify players.

Airplay is associated with Apple products.

If you're using the Spotify app on a iOS device you have the choice of transmitting audio to either the Spotify renderer or the Airplay renderer in moOde.

If you are using a Spotify app on Android, Linux, etc., then you have only the choice of transmitting to the Spotify renderer.

In addition, there's the Bluetooth option, although it's generally not as satisfying musically.

Regards,
Kent
Thank you, I understand now. As long as one avoids BT, is it the case that technically speaking there should be no difference in sound quality between Airplay and Spotify Connect , and that any perceived difference is subjective?
(06-22-2020, 09:43 PM)Civilian Wrote: Thank you, I understand now.    As long as one avoids BT,  is it the case that technically speaking  there should be  no difference in sound quality between Airplay and Spotify Connect , and that any perceived difference is subjective?

Sorry, I said something misleading a bit ago.

There is a technical difference between the two protocols which comes into play here. The audio signal paths are quite different. 

When using Airplay or Bluetooth, the audio stream for the track being played is fetched by the app on your iPhone or whatever, then forwarded from that device via the appropriate protocol to the Airplay or Bluetooth renderer in your moOde player. 

When using Spotify Connect, the URI for the track being played is received by the Spotify app on whatever computer and forwarded to the Spotify renderer in your moOde player. The audio stream itself is fetched directly to the renderer from the remote Spotify server.

You can demonstrate this difference by shutting down the Spotify app after you've started a track playing in moOde. In Spotify Connect mode, the track will keep playing in moOde.

Technical people will argue the audio quality will be better with Spotify Connect.

Whether you can perceive a difference in audio quality between the two modes is a function of the material being played, of your ears, and of your audio system. Try it both ways and see.

Regards,
Kent