Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Moode USB Output
Hi,

If I don’t use DAC hat and want to try with a USB DAC, what do I need to do in the set up menu to play from USB flash drive and output to USB port + USB Cable to USB DAC?

Has anyone experienced different audio quality depending on length of USB A to B cable? Is it better to use a 
USB 3.0 cable?

Thanks
From the Main Menu Quick Help... Smile

Quote:The Configuration screens are accessed via the Main Menu.

Quote:output to USB port + USB Cable to USB DAC?

M(enu)>Configure>Audio>I2S audio device>None>MPD Edit >config>Device type>USB audio device (Have it plugged in before you select this ! Smile )

Save (top left)

restart

Quote:Has anyone experienced different audio quality depending on length of USB A to B cable?

No, provided it is below the Maximum length as per the USB specifications.

Quote:Is it better to use a USB 3.0 cable?

Have you a Pi4 ?? This is the only Pi that has USB 3.0.
----------
bob
(07-05-2020, 06:52 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: From the Main Menu Quick Help... Smile

M(enu)>Configure>Audio>I2S audio device>None>MPD Edit >config>Device type>USB audio device (Have it plugged in before you select this ! Smile )

Save (top left)

restart

Quote:Has anyone experienced different audio quality depending on length of USB A to B cable?

As The Man says...

... plus you may consider supplying DC power to the external USB storage device by adding an USB self-powered hub or via a standalone power supply (the RPi's power supply may not supply enough DC current or the external USB device is power-hungry).
(07-05-2020, 09:16 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 06:52 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: From the Main Menu Quick Help... Smile

Save (top left)

restart

As The Man says...

... plus you may consider supplying DC power to the external USB storage device by adding an USB self-powered hub or via a standalone power supply (the RPi's power supply may not supply enough DC current or the external USB device is power-hungry).

Great! Thank you both.

I have RPI4. I use the samsung flash thumb drive. No issues so far.
I think most DAC’s use usb 2.0. USB 3.0 cable quality might be better(?)

I was planning to compare IQAudio i2s DAC to external usb DAC.
I read some where usb to DAC is an improvement over i2s. I don’t know if this is true.

I thought the allo usb signature uses i2s to usb? I have not really checked.
Super curious if this allo usb sig sound compares to normal usb output from rpi4.
Quote:I read some where usb to DAC is an improvement over i2s. I don’t know if this is true.

I think this will be an endless debate as manufacturers claim and counter-claim Smile

Tim has access to many more devices and comparisons than I so I would cleave to his advice. Smile 

That said, I have used the Allo Kali re-clocker and Piano 2.1 Hat and thought that was acceptable....However, I have been assembling and building a USB option to compare...

https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/..._meter_pcb
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-inter...13770.html
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assembled-ES9...AOSw0bxZq3~~

and upgrading power supplies to each board..(currently separate transformers for each and a 'studer' clone for the USB and SRC. Next to try is another for the ESS board.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MJE15034-TL072-...SwHr1ecJHu)

So, USB via XMOS to SRC that accepts PCM and outputs to DSD256 which bypasses the ESS filters and feeds the 9028Q2m (current-drive version).
This has been most pleasant ... certainly a (big! ;-) step up from the Allo Kali and Piano. Smile

Cheers,
Bob

(Perreaux Audiant... Shahinian Arcs....:-)
https://www.perreaux.com/
https://shahinianacoustics.com/
----------
bob
Thanks Bob. It’s that audio trap, we get curious or figure we can keep achieving better, hundreds of dollars and years later... :-)

I’m going to try the L-adaptor you mentioned. I’m using rpi4, needs a little more current.

The MJE15034 TL072 is nice but only goes to 2A.
Quote:I’m going to try the L-adaptor

Yes, this is a good choice. Smile

Quote:The MJE15034 TL072 is nice but only goes to 2A.

If you read through the whole thread on DIYAudio (yes, might take a spare day or two..lol) there are settings to increase the output current..

User (here on the Moode forum ) @jonners  posted there at the DIYAudio thread several times the adjustments needed for that board.. Smile

My preference is the L-adapter for the RPi and the MJE15034 TL072 for each of the downstream devices.
----------
bob
(07-07-2020, 09:35 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:
Quote:I’m going to try the L-adaptor

Yes, this is a good choice. Smile

Quote:The MJE15034 TL072 is nice but only goes to 2A.

If you read through the whole thread on DIYAudio (yes, might take a spare day or two..lol) there are settings to increase the output current..

User (here on the Moode forum ) @jonners  posted there at the DIYAudio thread several times the adjustments needed for that board.. Smile

My preference is the L-adapter for the RPi and the MJE15034 TL072 for each of the downstream devices.

Is it trial and error when you try a new DAC and use Moode for the USB player output? I will be getting the
Black Ice FX DAC and using the Moode USB output to this DAC. There is possibility it will not work?

It uses the PCM1795 DAC chip. Not sure if that is meaningful.
If the DAC is specified as being Linux-compatible it should be OK.
I have been using the USB output of my 3B + and I am very satisfied.

Unfortunately the UBS output is not perfect, to obtain a better SQ it is necessary to use filters and signal regenerators and supply current, as the energy of the RPi's USB output is not stable.

I use a Uptone Regen + USB Curiours Regen Link between the 3B + and the DAC, for those who use DAC powered by USB the gains are more evident.

As an option of these filters in addition to Uptone Regen and Regen ISO, there is also Wired4Sound Recovery and iFi iUSB (nano or micro) and iPurifier 2.