Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: no cover art in album view
Hello,

I'm having my database attached via the media sever functionality of a Fritz!Box router.
In tag view, player view and full mode player, the album covers are displayed - no issue.
But in album view all covers are represented by a broken image. Also the cover art preview
(right column) on the tag view screen.

I tried everything I found here (clear, regenerate cache) but nothing helped. Huh 

Any ideas?
(08-15-2020, 09:31 AM)AudioServer Wrote: Hello,

I'm having my database attached via the media sever functionality of a Fritz!Box router.
In tag view, player view and full mode player, the album covers are displayed - no issue.
But in album view all covers are represented by a broken image. Also the cover art preview

I tried everything I found here (clear, regenerate cache) but nothing helped. Huh 

Any ideas?

Before jumping on my horse and ridding off in all directions, I'd like to be sure about your basic files. Zip up one entire album directory, upload it to a file-sharing site of your choice (DropBox, Google Drive, whatever) and send me the link by private message.

Regards,
Kent
(08-15-2020, 11:32 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 09:31 AM)AudioServer Wrote: Hello,

Any ideas?

Before jumping on my horse and ridding off in all directions, I'd like to be sure about your basic files. Zip up one entire album directory, upload it to a file-sharing site of your choice (DropBox, Google Drive, whatever) and send me the link by private message.

Regards,
Kent

I'll try to...

But I already ruled out things like folder structure and suffix. All my songs end with '.mp3', the folders are organized artist/album/songs, the covers are stored as single jpg in each folder as welll as inside each songs tag space..... More odd, I could swear there have been folders visible directly after the very first installation....
@AudioServer

I'd still like to rule out basic album issues but while I wait...

You have assumed the rest of us know how your system is configured. A quick Internet search suggests to me there may be more than one possibility for a Fritzbox to serve media. We need facts. How is your system configured?

The symptoms you described in your original post suggest to me that the moOde thmcache routine is not finding your album directories. This latest symptom you mentioned, folders no longer "directly visible", suggests something else entirely. That's why I'm trying to take one step at a time.

Regards,
Kent
Don't forget to first look at the Moode log. The thumbnail generator logs its results and any errors it encounters.

Code:
moodeutl -l
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(08-15-2020, 12:53 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Don't forget to first look at the Moode log. The thumbnail generator logs its results and any errors it encounters.

Code:
moodeutl -l

Hi Tim,

I did this. Unfortunately there are no suspicious entries. The covers are indeed found - for songs selected. The only thing not working is the thumbnail
for the folder itself.

@TheOldPresbyope 
you are certainly right concerning the Fritz!Box. I attached the SSD to a USB port and linked it to the built-in media server functionality.
Now, the media server provides several folders below the "Musik" folder: "Interpreten", "Alben", "Genre", .... it's all in German - maybe that would be an issue.
Since mounting this top level "Musik" folder provided multiple entries of the same songs (each song is listed under "Album",  "Interpreten" and so on)
I decided to point the music source directly to the "Ordner" subfolder. This way, no multiple entries show up. The music source now starts at the "artist" level,
meaning that the top entries of the linked music source includes only folders named by artists. Underneath the album title folders including the individual songs.
Maybe I'll try to setup a second Raspi as UPNP server instead of the Fritz!Box...

Uh, I was not absolutely precise:
In tag view the album cover is displayed in the left bottom corner as soon as I select an album, already. I don't have to select a single song.
What's still not shown is the little in-line thumbnail of the album art in the "ALBUMS BY ARTIST" column. (The same for the album library view.)
...just moved an artist folder including two albums to the SDCARD.
The same. But since the "Stereo Test" album cover works as expected, I guess it's somehow still linked to the data itself....
Moving all files diretly under "SDCARD" or in any other folder didn't help, too.

Now it's getting weird. I copied an arbitrary image (radio.png) to the artist folder mentioned above and suddenly (after library update)
the cover of the second album of this artist inside that artist folder shows up.
You really need to provide specific configuration information for us to debug your situation. "Media server" is not a specific term. SAMBA, NFS, UPnP/DLNA---these are specific terms.

I am inferring from your description that 1) your Fritz!Box is functioning as a UPnP/DLNA server, that  2) you have enabled the UPnP Browser service in your moOde player, and 3) you have added one of the Fritz!Box-published endpoints as a Music Source in the moOde Library.

Is this true? (I'm basing my guess on your discussion of folder names.)

This is a complicated and inefficient way to use a NAS with moOde. Configuring it as a SAMBA or NFS server would yield superior performance.  

The UPnP Browser functionality in moOde allows one to access a UPnP Media Server as if it were a regular NAS, but it isn't one really. 

It takes figuratively forever for moOde/MPD to scan the folders using the UPnP Browser service because of all the virtual folders the service generates and the subsequent duplication of track entries. At a low level, even though one may want to access only one Media Server, all the Media Servers on the LAN are automagically added fuse'd to moOde's filesystem.

To add insult to injury, each Media Server can create its own virtual folder names. This can make debugging extra difficult because, for example, my UPnP Media Server folders will be semantically different from yours for the same files (and not just because of language: Deutsch oder English, es macht nichts!). I suspect as well that the UPnP Media Server may not be publishing the existence of image files among the track files.

Bottom line: I believe your problems are caused by the use of moOde's UPnP Browser to access a UPnP/DLNA Media Server. My personal bias is not to take this approach but if you require it then you'll have to configure your system carefully. Apart from some basic hints, I probably can't give definitive answers.

Regards,
Kent
(08-15-2020, 05:53 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: You really need to provide specific configuration information for us to debug your situation. "Media server" is not a specific term. SAMBA, NFS, UPnP/DLNA---these are specific terms.

I am inferring from your description that 1) your Fritz!Box is functioning as a UPnP/DLNA server, that  2) you have enabled the UPnP Browser service in your moOde player, and 3) you have added one of the Fritz!Box-published endpoints as a Music Source in the moOde Library.

Is this true? (I'm basing my guess on your discussion of folder names.)

This is a complicated and inefficient way to use a NAS with moOde. Configuring it as a SAMBA or NFS server would yield superior performance.  

The UPnP Browser functionality in moOde allows one to access a UPnP Media Server as if it were a regular NAS, but it isn't one really. 

It takes figuratively forever for moOde/MPD to scan the folders using the UPnP Browser service because of all the virtual folders the service generates and the subsequent duplication of track entries. At a low level, even though one may want to access only one Media Server, all the Media Servers on the LAN are automagically added fuse'd to moOde's filesystem.

To add insult to injury, each Media Server can create its own virtual folder names. This can make debugging extra difficult because, for example, my UPnP Media Server folders will be semantically different from yours for the same files (and not just because of language: Deutsch oder English, es macht nichts!). I suspect as well that the UPnP Media Server may not be publishing the existence of image files among the track files.

Bottom line: I believe your problems are caused by the use of moOde's UPnP Browser to access a UPnP/DLNA Media Server. My personal bias is not to take this approach but if you require it then you'll have to configure your system carefully. Apart from some basic hints, I probably can't give definitive answers.

Regards,
Kent

Sorry, I was not aware that "media server" does not imply UPnP. So, you are certainly right. I connected the database via UPnP/DLNA and I would have done it by SAMBA or NFS
in case it would have worked. For some reason I can mount the drive to my Win10 PC but moodeaudio does not find it. Maybe I have to make a special setting in my router for that.
This is, why I tried UPNP and besides this cosmetic flaw not showing the album art, it worked well.
By the way, you are right: The cover images are not published in the track's folder. But I thought in case no image is available, the art will be taken from the MP3 files.

Based on your suggestions, I will give the mounting via SAMBA/NFS another try.

Nevertheless, many thanks for your efforts. I really appreciate you and Tim's support.

Update: I made it to mount the drive via SMB. My fault was the wrong mount version flag. Didn't recognize that last setting. I assume it's the SMB version and yes, 1.0 is not supported.
I changed it to 3.0 and here we go. Big Grin
Tomorow, I'll check the album art again. Hopefully that makes the difference. Anyway, it's much faster now Smile Exclamation

Update 2:
I couldn't wait. It works!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Finally, it was all related to this *#-&%$§ media server implementation of my Fritz!Box. Angry 
The SMB works flawless and so does the album art.

Many, many thanks!!