Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

From plain Debian + Jack2 + MPD to Moode: doubts
Quote:Since moOde is based on Linux, these standard Linux tricks are still available.

Yes, I understood that Moode is based on standard Linux, I just don't like to "mess up someone else's room" Smile
When a system is meant to be configured and used in a certain way, I tend to avoid "forcing" my approach, I prefer to play by the rules, otherwise I expect strange behaviors and inconsistencies to occur.

For instance, I wonder if installing a custom kernel, jack daemon and forcing specific parameters for ALSA means to be intrusive (thus not recommended) and or to create conflicts with Moode per se.

Quote:All except, perhaps, the "realtime kernel, that is. (As an aside, this is like saying "luxury" car. You have to specify what is the basis for the appellation "realtime".) You can built your own kernel if you're determined, tuning every parameter ever invented. If you've never done this before I'll warn you it can be as much fun as solving a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle which may or may not be missing some pieces.

Sorry, you're right: I meant a hard real-time kernel (with the PREEMPT_RT patch applied); in Debian x86 is a trivial task (is available in the official repos), in Ubuntu you just start from the official kernel sources, you use the "low-latency" kernel config file as a template applying just few specific changes and then it's just a build.
In my experience, the RT kernel is needed to obtain a constant streaming to the DAC with the minimum buffer (16KB in my case), otherwise there will be stuttering ("xruns" in Jack's slang).

Quote:I don't know what system minimization means.

Sorry again, I meant "system services minimization": I have removed any single process not strictly necessary for the audio streaming task.

Quote:If you look at moOde's System Config screen you'll see several settings for CPU governor and for disabling unused hardware.
Also, see threads such as Sound tweaks ....

Yep! Really cool tips, I will definitely take a look into them, thanks!

Messages In This Thread
RE: From plain Debian + Jack2 + MPD to Moode: doubts - by roberto.pierpaoli - 08-18-2020, 01:45 PM