Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

HDD clicking
Hi Tim&Co,

Recently I've installed  Max2Play app and I noticed one interesting function that disables clicking of HDDs, and it actually works.
Can it be done in Moode?

Everytime I update library, my HDD starts clicking like crazy. When I installed m2p app and enabled this function, the clicking was completely gone.
Digione Signature player + Shanti LPS - Siltech HF Classic Anniversary - Wadia Intuition 01 - XLO Reference Type 5 - Sonus Faber Sonetto VIII
The last aeroplane I flew on went 'swoosh' in flight.
The one I am on now doesn't.
Can you change my ticket so the last one doesn't go 'swoosh' ?

Chris...that is about as much information as you have given for your problem...lol

How about some detail ? some links ? some diagnostics and some other users posts ?

Given that this is the first post here about this issue it may be something specific to your hardware but without any information as to What MoOde version ? What Pi model ? What power supply ? etc etc it's all a big guess  :-)

Help us to help you ...
Bob.
----------
bob
Hardware is Raspberry Pi 3b with Digione Sig and Shanti LPS, but I don't think it's hardware related because I also have Hifiberry Digi and Hifiberry DAC, and it happened with them, too.
I also have 2 pieces of RasPi 3B.
Moode Version is 6.6.0, but I also think it's not software related because I've been using different versions of Moode for a couple of years now, and I also used Rune and Volumio, and the clicking happened with all these softwares.

So why didn't I reported it before? Because I didn't even suspect that this clicking could be disabled by software until I used Max2Play app.

My best guess is that it is hdd related, and it happens with 2 different hdds.
This clicking happens when I update library or when I update specific folder.
It never appears when I play music.
Digione Signature player + Shanti LPS - Siltech HF Classic Anniversary - Wadia Intuition 01 - XLO Reference Type 5 - Sonus Faber Sonetto VIII
(08-09-2020, 09:40 AM)Chris Tennant Wrote: ... I've been using different versions of Moode for a couple of years now, and I also used Rune and Volumio, and the clicking happened with all these softwares.

... it happens with 2 different hdds.
This clicking happens when I update library or when I update specific folder.
It never appears when I play music.

...I didn't even suspect that this clicking could be disabled by software until I used Max2Play app...I noticed one interesting function that disables clicking of HDDs

Strange that you still haven't bothered to say what this "interesting function" is.

To me, lots of clicking sounds from a hard disk drive suggests lots of disk seeks (a mechanical movement to position the disk head on the correct track) which would be natural when the file system is being indexed. Indeed, you mention you only get the noise when you update the library.

I don't see us reverse-engineering Max2Play's disk management system and then rewriting moOde to match it (and I expect the same is true for the developers of the other players you mention). 

It looks like you have three choices:

1) change to an SSD so there's no mechanical movement involved, or
2) don't update the library when you have to be in the same room as the disk drive, or
3) change to Max2Play.

Regards,
Kent

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough, but I found it:
"Set fixed Mountpoint to prevent directory switching on reboot:"
When I check this, the hdd doesn't clicks during updating library.
As Kent mentioned we don't attempt to reverse-engineer other player softwares but if you can figure out which underlying Linux command might be being used to stop your hard drive from clicking then you could run it from the command line and confirm whether it really works.

If you get positive confirmation then post the command so others might be able to reproduce the results.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
It's fine Tim, I don't expect you to.
I just thought I ask it here, maybe it's some simple thing, but I guess it's not.
But thanks anyway, otherwise I more than happy with Moode.

@Kent
The main issue with this clicking is not the noise that I'm bothered, but the fact that hdd sounds like it's really struggling and it could break down.
(08-09-2020, 04:21 PM)Chris Tennant Wrote: ...

@Kent
The main issue with this clicking is not the noise that I'm bothered, but the fact that hdd sounds like it's really struggling and it could break down.

That description is worrisome in its own right. 

Disk drives do have a finite life. Hands down, they're the most unreliable computer component I use. I recently took a box full of old drives to the county recycling station. All of them had failed in various ways over the years while in service in various PCs, laptops, and servers. I kept the dead drives on hand because they have some interesting bits in them which I've used in other hacker projects but now I'm preparing to downsize and have to empty out my Fibber McGee's closet.

If I were you I'd be making sure I had a complete and tested backup of this drive before it actually does break down.

Regards,
Kent
(08-09-2020, 04:55 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 04:21 PM)Chris Tennant Wrote: ...

@Kent

That description is worrisome in its own right. 

Disk drives do have a finite life. Hands down, they're the most unreliable computer component I use. I recently took a box full of old drives to the county recycling station. All of them had failed in various ways over the years while in service in various PCs, laptops, and servers. I kept the dead drives on hand because they have some interesting bits in them which I've used in other hacker projects but now I'm preparing to downsize and have to empty out my Fibber McGee's closet.

If I were you I'd be making sure I had a complete and tested backup of this drive before it actually does break down.

Regards,
Kent

Interesting to stumble upon this thread as I was debating my old ReadyNAS Duo which is 10 years old now & has faithfully been the sole source of music for my MoOde players all this time, spinning the 2x SCSI drives 24/7 in that time with just a handful of pauses due to power outages.
I've certainly had my moneys worth out of it, but there has never been clicking, just a gentle buzz as it refreshes the library occasionally and when playing music it's silent.
I just hope the next one will be as reliable.
I cant even recall the brand of SCSI disks in it, I know they were identical, I guess I'll find out one day.
I've had some incredibly reliable drives too. Think of human beings and the frequency of death vs age. Some humans live to be 100. Some of my best friends already are dead. Nobody gets out of this alive.

Regards,
Kent