Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Update 4.1 -> 4.2 is not working
Hi Tim,

the update SSH-command seems not to work on my Pi:

pi@moode:~ $ sudo /var/www/command/updater.sh r42

[update-r42.zip]
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of update-r42.zip or
        update-r42.zip.zip, and cannot find update-r42.zip.ZIP, period.
chmod: cannot access 'update': No such file or directory
/var/www/command/updater.sh: line 35: update/install.sh: No such file or directory
Update cancelled
pi@moode:~ $

Any suggestions ?
Its an in-place update for moOde 4.2 only. There is no update for 4.1 -> 4.2. moOde 4.2 has to be build from scratch because its based on a completely new version of Raspbian.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
OK ... I misunderstood something, but I hope it's sometime possible to do minor updates like 4.x -> 4.y via an "in-place update", because you have some steps to do in case of your Pi
  • is part of an Audiophile Setup without keyboard, mouse and display
  • has > 120 GB music on SD-card (which will be overwritten)
Regards
Tom
Hi Tom,

Generally, minor updates can be packaged so they can be applied in-place but 4.1 -> 4.2 was quite a major upgrade including a new OS and many new core components making it virtually impossible for me to create a reliable in-place upgrade solution.

Either way though, anytime you store music on the OS drive there is a risk that at some point a new OS
will need to be written to the card. Maybe try one of the compact USB drives like a 120GB Sandisk Ultra Fit. That would allow you to maintain your music files separate from the OS.
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-128...B00YFI1EBC

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
Hi Tim,

I understand the update problem with a new Raspian version, but e.g. Windows 10 can do "nearly a complete new Operating System in-place update" every 6 months (Threshold, Redstone updates), but this is more a Linux&Raspbian topic.

And ... I have already most of my music files on an external SSD within an external enclosure: ICI BOX IB-233U3-B . That's fine for
  • iTunes files (*.m4a)
  • ripped CDs (*.flac)
  • HDtracks up to 96kHz/24bit (*.flac)
For HDtracks files >= 192kHz/24bit I prefer to store them on the local SD-card, because it happened sometimes in the past that such files stuck for a short time (< 1s). OK, very seldom cases, but that's not acceptable for me ...   Cool

Regards
Tom
lol, companies like MS and Apple prolly spend >100 million per year on developing, testing, distributing and supporting their OS upgrades.

I think our little moOde project does pretty well in comparison.
Enjoy the Music!
Hi Tim, I realized yesterday to still have Moode 4.1 running on my RPi3-based network streamer. I saw that is a major update, so no update is possible from console through SSH. I suppose that I need to prepare a plain microSD and start from scratch a new configuration. Is there a way to make a backup of the Moode settings to restore on the new 4.2 version?
thanks
Andrea
Hi Andrea,

Developing a settings migration system is a major undertaking and thus is still quite a ways down on the TODO list.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
..reading the guide, it seems that I have first to prepare a microSD with 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch-lite.img, then boot the raspy from it. How can I access to it through SSH to going forward in the installation path? With user and pwd? I try user pi and pwd raspberry but putty denied the access...
..or better... I'm able to ping the Raspy from my PC, but Putty (or WinSCP) doesn't reach it! ("Network Error! Connection refused").
I successfully establish SSH connection with other two RPis on my LAN (running LibreElec), so I assume that the network is OK.